Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305304 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
 :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Looks like that ****ing new Legend of the Galactic Heroes trailer.

Offline Luis Dias

waitwatwatthe****whaaaaaa

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
...you haven't heard about that?  They announced a new adaptation a couple of years ago, and an initial trailer came out a few weeks ago.  It was...not promising.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
good news guys, somebody's remaking cowboy bebop in a format spoon will like

Looks like an improvement to me, can't wait for the whole show to be redone in quality cgi like that. Maybe bebop will be good at last.

I have... mixed feelings.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Speaking of old stuff I'm finally in the business of finishing Armored Trooper VOTOMS

You wouldn't get the second to last sequence on TV after that Pokemon boondoggle. Ah the 80s.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
VOTOMS is pretty fun.  I remember liking it at the start because it felt like Space Mad Max, with some Rambo.

It's also where Bandai came up with most Gundam sounds.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I'm about 2/3 done and the 3rd arc has been my favorite so far since Fyanna actually has screen time and does things. Plus the PTSD angle was surprisingly well done for the times.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
New LOTGH. I too have mixes feelings.

Votoms guy, looks like he capped his pants.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
My Hero Academia season 2 is over. Now my Saturdays will be sad :(

Well, the season's mostly over, time for some reviews:

In Another World With My Smartphone:
Almost an interesting premise, but in the end (and middle, and beginning too, really) it was just a boring harem comedy. The main guy is basically a demi-god, master of all magic, and every fight he's in is just boring. His biggest problem in the series is choosing which of the four attractive, extremely competent girls - who are madly in love with him - to marry. Spoiler alert: All of them, why not.
Final decision: boring

Aho-Girl:
Short episodes, manic comedy, and some interesting character. Had some funny bits, but not over-the-top enough to really sell it. Still entertaining, would recommend. Lots of yelling and screaming though, so if you're annoyed by high-pitched Japanese girls' voices, maybe steer clear.

New Game!! (The second series of New Game! (note the single exclamation point)):
Cute, and funny, and emotional. Very, very good. And it's about girls who are not in high school! They're working at a game development studio! Anyway. It's good! Watch it!

My Hero Academia:
Adventure! Drama! Character development! Superheroes with silly powers that are actually pretty cool once you think about them! Ninja murders! Creepy dudes with bad skin! Scary creepy girls! And etc.

Gamers!:
A bunch of high school kids who really love games, become friends and/or fall in love. It's fun, and cute, and you feel bad for the main guy 'cause he's clueless. And there's a lot of really good game references, that shows it's written by people who actually play games. The series isn't over yet, but episode 12 was almost like watching a Jimquisition about over-priced DLC and microtransactions, except with anime girls instead of Jim Sterling.
Show's good.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
For seasonal stuff

Sakura Quest finished and was an excellent spiritual successor to Shirobako (though an entirely different subject matter). If you don't like workplace shows I wouldn't recommend it but it's a great looking show with a lot of heart put into it.

Boku no Hero Academia was a solid season 2 though its finale was a bit eh compared to season 1. Great animation and writing on top of having actually well directed action. Plus fewer recaps! (It's amazing what a schedule can do)

Made in Abyss. I enjoyed it a ton and have my fingers crossed for a season 2. If you like backgrounds watch this show. If you like creature animation watch this show. The world is top notch and the character writing is good and helps carry some of the more uneven parts of the show. Also a double length finale was a great season ending.

Princess Principal. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hey it's an original! The characters are well done if a little standard with their backstories but I'll take well executed over a lot of things these days. The finale is a bit strange and I wish it had another episode or had pulled an hour long slot like Made in Abyss but the ride was good and the art/animation alone is worth checking out. If you like retro-future-punk I highly recommend it.

New Game+ was better than season 1 and as someone who does game development it does a pretty decent job of capturing pieces of that world even if it's an overly positive and cute show (not that I'm complaining about having a show made up of exclusively cute girls who actually have personalities and motivation).

Isekai Shokudou isn't anything particularly special but if you want something comfy definitely watch it. It's a bit uneven towards the end but most of the characters are likable and I'm a sucker for food related anything.

I'm still waiting on Hiryuu to finish Kakegurui so I've only watched up to episode 9 but the show is utter trash. Highly entertaining and pretty trash but still trash. I wouldn't say anyone outside of Saotome is even a real character and I would really have appreciated self insert guy to have gotten killed in the first episode or just not exist.
Current Projects:

- Re-learning FRED

Offline FlamingCobra

I'm kind of watching Stranger Things now.

I'm three episodes in to Watamote: No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys Fault I'm Not Popular

It's creepy, and hilarious, and depressing, and awkward, and full of references. And it hits really close to home. Have a couple gifs:

Carry on.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Watch Welcome to the NHK next if you want the ultimate cringey self-loathing experience!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys Fault I'm Not Popular
sounds like the name of a Culture ship
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Watamote is the best manga evar, period, no exceptions.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I got curious because of Hellsing Ultimate abridged (which I came to know while stumbling around TVtropes) and watched its serious counterpart.
Uhm, fairly interesting in a pulpy sort of way but the humorous moments are so japanese they come off as profoundly unfunny to me with few exceptions.
Though really, sometimes it was difficult to keep the abridged series out of my mind when watching, I kept expecting Seras telling the scythe nazi "**** you, that's how".
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline FlamingCobra

Stranger Things season 2

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Working through Crest/Banner of the Stars with some friends.  Solid space opera with some great character writing for the leads.  The strategic side of space battles isn't all that dissimilar to FS: a network of gates enabling access to an alternate dimension that allows for rapid transit between star systems.  The episode I'm watching right now commented on how even a "back-line" occupied territory can be subject to attack without much warning, which made me smile given how many campaigns around here have played around with that concept.