Author Topic: Interesting mission names!  (Read 7755 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Interesting mission names!
Some of the mission names in the main FS1/2 campaign and also in many other campaigns have very interesting names. Some have historical meanings (eg. the Battle of Midway), while others are terminology of hobbies or areas like the military. If you know the meaning of a mission name, or have an idea as to it, post the mission name and what you think of it. Here are a few of the missions that come to mind:

Bearbaiting
High Noon
The Sixth Wonder
A Monster in the Mist
Straight, No Chaser
Surrender, Belesarius!
Playing Judas
Love the Treason...
...Hate the Traitor
Into the Lion's Den
As Lightning Fall
Argonautica
Dunkerque
Clash of the Titans (1 & 2)
Endgame
Exodus

With yoru mission name, say where it comes from (eg. FS1, ST, FS2, user-made campaign). Post the names even if you don't know what it means, as someone else might.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Chucker

• M.I.A.
    • http://www.volitionwatch.com
Playing Judas - Judas was one of Jesus' disciples who ended up being a traitor and turning Him in to the Roman officers, which consequently ended up in the crucifix. This mission references to it in that you are a Terran flying in a Dragon fighter pretending to be a Shivan, while what you are really doing is working against them.

Exodus - Refers to the exodus of the Jews from Egypt found in the book of Exodus. Likewise, these freighters containing Capellan citizens are also fleeing from their homes in an attempt to free themselves from the Shivan onslaught.

[This message has been edited by Chucker (edited 02-03-2001).]

here are the FS2 missions in chronological order:

Surrender, Belisarius
The Place of Chariots
The Romans Blunder
A Lion at the Door
Mystery of the Trinity
The Great Hunt
Slaying Ravana
The Sixth Wonder
Into the Maelstrom
Feint! Parry! Riposte!
Battle of the Wilderness
A Game of Tag
Proving Grounds
The Kings Gambit
The Sicilian Defense
Endgame
The Fog of War
Monster in the mist
Speaking in Tongues
A flaming Sword
bearbaiting
High Noon
Return to Babel
Straight, No chaser
Argonautica
Exodus
Dunkerque
Their Finest Hour
Clash of the Titans 2
Apocolypse

As you said, they all have some kind of significance in historical reference.  Most of them seem either World War 2 (i.e. Sicilian Defense, Dunkerque) or greek/roman related (romans blunder, place of chariots)

------------------
BC01
BC01

My parents once told me that anyone can be president.  Now I believe them.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Some are simply descriptive, like Bearbaiting and Surrender Belisarius to name a couple.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Into the Lions den also follows that trend...

so does High Noon for that matter...

------------------
Webmaster: Hard Light Productions
Staffer and P1mp: Ross128   Sounds of Thunder

Fight the future!

Originally posted by Setekh:
Bearbaiting - Hunting
High Noon - Stand off
The Sixth Wonder - The 6th wonder of the world is the Colossus or sumin...  i think  
A Monster in the Mist - self-explanitory
Straight, No Chaser - ?
Surrender, Belesarius! - self-explanitory
Playing Judas - see Chuckers explanation
Love the Treason... - self-explanitory
...Hate the Traitor - self-explanitory
Into the Lion's Den - self-explanitory
As Lightning Fall - ?
Argonautica - ?
Dunkerque - like the WW event where Germans stormed the allied post... it was evacuated & then destroyed so that the Germans couldn't use it...
Clash of the Titans (1 & 2) - 2 titans fighting
Endgame - End of the Line
Exodus - see Chuckers explanation

------------------
Temporal Mechanics | Hard Light Productions

[This message has been edited by Griffon UK (edited 02-04-2001).]
What does Kazan use for birth control?
His personality!

- Ace

Anidragon

I know what "Surrender, Belisarius" means- it's sort of a double meaning with the ship name.

The Belisarius Group was one of the oldest conspiracies known based in ancient Greece. Can't remember more than that. It's really an explanation of the ship name, but since the mission name has the ships name in it, it explains that too. Bah.

------------------
"Get thee to a nunnery!"
"Cut the crap Hamlet, my biological clock is ticking and I WANT BABIES NOW!!!"

The Sixth Wonder: The sixth wonder of the world was the Colossus of Rhodes, which was a 120 foot high bronze statue of the god Helios.  

------------------
"Right, well apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US?"
"Right, well apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US?"

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Dunkerque was where the british and french forces were evacuated ahead of the advancing german troops.  If you hear 'the miracle of dunkerque' that's what it was.  Virtually all the french and brits escaped from France.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Geezer

• Methuselah
If you don't mind a newbie sticking his nose in:

Battle of the Wilderness: American Civil War, Lee vs Grant in a huge, swampy forest.  Lots of dead, lots of confusion, not much result.

The Kings Gambit: In chess, a "gambit" is when you sacrifice a piece to gain an advantage.  Of course, if you sacrifice the king, you automatically lose..

The Sicilian Defense: Also chess. A style of defensive play that somehow lets you spring a trap on you opponent.

Endgame:  Chess, again.  The last couple of moves, when there are few remaining pieces and the strategy that you've worked on all game pays off (or not).

A flaming Sword: The traditional weapon the Archangels used to smite the evil-doers.

bearbaiting:  Take a bear, chain it to a stake, blind it, set specially bred dogs on it and watch them tear each other apart.  Medieval family entertainment.

High Noon:  Probably referring to the classic Western where the un-supported sherrif either had to face the bad guys at noon or run.

Straight, No chaser:  Drinking phrase.  "Give me the scotch and skip the soda (I'm a real man!)"

Their Finest Hour:  WWII, Churchill quote describing the British people fighting the Nazis by themselves after the fall of France.

[This message has been edited by Geezer (edited 02-04-2001).]
If a man walks in the desert and speaks where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Firstly, Welcome to the HLP Forums!

Originally posted by Geezer:
The Sicilian Defense: Also chess. A style of defensive play that somehow lets you spring a trap on you opponent.

The chess meaning is actually derived from the historical meaning, which was where Hitler ordered the Sicilians to attack the invading forces so that the Germans could escape.

Originally posted by Geezer:
A flaming Sword: The traditional weapon the Archangels used to smite the evil-doers.

The Flaming Sword was the weapon used by God to stop people from reach the Tree of Life, which gave knowledge of Good & Evil.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Originally posted by Setekh:
The Flaming Sword was the weapon used by God to stop people from reach the Tree of Life, which gave knowledge of Good & Evil.

So replace a few words...

Flaming Sword -> Meson Bomb
God -> GTVA  
People -> Shivans  
(reversal those 2 is more correct   )
Tree of Life -> GTVA systems
Good & Evil -> who gives a ****  

------------------
Temporal Mechanics | Hard Light Productions

[This message has been edited by Griffon UK (edited 02-05-2001).]
What does Kazan use for birth control?
His personality!

- Ace

Admiral

Now we need FS1 missions...(I know, I could do it myself, but it's not installed.  I know, heresy  ).

Everyone's favourite title (I know, newbieish)?  Endgame or Their Finest Hour.

------------------
"All empires Fall. You just have to know where to push."

Slaying Ravana: easy; kill a Ravana

A Game of Tag: everyone knows this one

Into the Lions Den: Stupidly flying into a Shivan "den" or swarm(base of operations if you're picky)