Author Topic: Battuta's Guide to Finding Your First (Or Next!) Campaign  (Read 149009 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Battuta's Guide to Finding Your First (Or Next!) Campaign
I'd be happy to add any campaign that someone can do a short blurb for.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist

In that case:

The Second Great War Part II - This campaign is considered the greatest of the many mod projects undertaken for FreeSpace 2, despite its lack of major mods and its predating the source code release. It manages, through slick FREDding, an incredibly engaging storyline and clever dialogue, to completely immerse the player in the FreeSpace universe, and it provides an unmatched playing experience. Technically essentially flawless, and artistically sublime, The Second Great War Part II has been called "The fan's FreeSpace 3".

What? It's from the wiki!
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I know what I'm playing this April 1st:

Thanks Apollo :P

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
You're welcome.
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

I will write something ...

EDIT: Just noticed that the missions for LoA I've are updated ones I never released (e.g. they use the kamikaze-ship-change stuff I used in TLG as well) ... I better wrap them up into a new download then before I write something (expect them somewhat mid April)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:39:20 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Freespace 3 the search For bosch - The campaign is set two years after the Capella incident. The player character and her wingmen - each with distinctive and developed personalities - are highly regarded pilots stationed aboard the GVD Cleopatera [sic], a Hatshepsut-class destroyer modified with Shivan technology. The story opens with the announcement that a new Knossos subspace portal has been discovered in a remote corner of the GTVA, and that the Cleopatera [sic] and her battlegroup have been dispatched to investigate. Their mission is to find and apprehend Aken Bosch so that he can be interrogated and brought to justice. Along the way, the player character is subjected to the greatest tests of her career and her life, and makes shocking discoveries about the nature of Bosch, the Shivans, and the universe itself....

Straight from the wiki.

Offline Mebber

Besides LoA and Hellgate Ikeya, i'd suggest to add Rain on Ribos 4 too.  It's been awhile since i've played it, but i remember it as one of my absolute favorite Great-War era campaigns. It blends in very well with the main campaign, and delivers a similar atmosphere and feeling of futility when fighting the all-mighty shivans. Imho it's a good choice if you've just finished the FS1 main campaign and just want to see 'more' of the war.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
As a new community member, I found this guide very useful, both for giving me some insight into HLP's history and for getting me started on you guys's campaigns (I tried to play Derelict, Silent Threat: Reborn, and Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius at the same time, if that tells you anything  :p just couldn't make up my mind!)

Anyway, Having played ST before I joined HLP, I definitely wouldn't consider it mandatory playing now that we have ST:R- which I beat yesterday  :cool:  However, I would highly recommend to any other newcomers that you complete FS1 (and probably ST:R) before FS2, simply because other wise FS1 gets ruined and FS2 has less impact. The appearance of Shivans is alot scarier if you've witnessed firsthand what they're capable of.  :shaking:

EDIT: Ok, about the "a lot" emoticon... cruel. Just cruel.  :beamz:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:13:01 pm by InsaneBaron »
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Added Hellgate: Ikeya and Light of Antares - thanks so much to Orpheus for helping out with the blurb. Keep them coming!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Bablyon Project

So maybe JMS hated it when he was asked to put an ace pilot on his cast and killed them off, but you think Starfuries are pretty cool. This is for you.

TBP plays differently from FS in a number of ways. Foremost is that it rewards marksmanship far more, because targets are smaller and the number of guns you'll be carrying fewer. There are no shields, so you'll get very sensitive to how far away you are from an opponent when you finish them off to avoid getting caught in the blast. And the missiles, such as they are, are minimalist nearly-straight-running weapons. There will be dogfighting. A lot of it. It was also one of the first efforts to feature beam weapons as main guns for fighters, with the Minbari Nial.

Down the years a good number of TBP campaigns have come out, and a good number of single missions. Orpheus alone made campaigns were made from the point of view of members of the PsiCorps, as a Shadow fighter (which included one of the first uses of in-mission jumps), and as a raider/mercenary.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's in! Thanks so much.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I think Operation Templar would be worth an entry. After all, in it's original form it's one of the only four canonical campaigns :v-old: made. Gameplay-wise the FSPort remake is quite good for a mini-campaign.

"Operation Templar was originally a set of four popular multiplayer co-op missions created by Volition to tell an important part of FreeSpace history: the fall of the Hammer of Light. The same team that created Silent Threat: Reborn also remade Operation Templar as a single-player campaign. The FSPort Operation Templar remake follows the original missions much more closely than Silent Threat: Reborn, preserving the mission structure, plot, briefings, and even voice acting, all while rebalancing the missions for single-player mode and making them FSO-compatiable. Operation Templar tells an essential (and canonical) bit of the FreeSpace story in the form of four challenging missions, featuring a unique blend of Volition and Hard Light talent."

Minor note, I think Derelict has 43 missions, not 60, unless there's a hidden set of missions I'm unaware of (I still have a couple missions left before I finish it.)
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great summary. :yes:  One cool thing that Galemp did with Operation Templar was to change the HoL installation to a Cheops instead of that silly Arcadia.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Orpheus alone made campaigns were made from the point of view of members of the PsiCorps, as a Shadow fighter (which included one of the first uses of in-mission jumps), and as a raider/mercenary.

Someone nugged me about this ... 2 out of 3 are actually the work Vidmaster; only the PsiCorps one is my work (and the worst of it)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Someone nugged me about this ... 2 out of 3 are actually the work Vidmaster; only the PsiCorps one is my work (and the worst of it)

Well I'm a derp, somebody fix this stat. (I actually thought it was some of your best.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Great summary. :yes:  One cool thing that Galemp did with Operation Templar was to change the HoL installation to a Cheops instead of that silly Arcadia.

Thanks. I agree it makes more sense for the HoL to build their own base in a hollow asteroid, as opposed to making the GTA build an Arcadia in an asteroid field :rolleyes: then abandon it :confused:

To be fair, the original designers had a pretty limited ship sandbox to work with- no Vasudan installations, civilian ships, et cetera. These days, "Hey guys, for the next mission we need Shivan Luxury Liner with enough firepower to take out the Gargant from the last mission" "I'll make it!"
  :P

Am I correct in assuming that making Nagada a Cheops was the only major plot change?

Also, Battuta, any opinion on adding OT? Maybe in "Give me something oldschool"?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Am I correct in assuming that making Nagada a Cheops was the only major plot change?
No, we changed a few other things, but all of them were fairly minor.  The most noticeable change other than the installation is probably the command briefing in the first mission.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Ya, coop missions (multi missions in general) can't have CBriefs.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Speaking of which, how hard would it be to implement Command Brief support to multiplayer?
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
No, we changed a few other things, but all of them were fairly minor.  The most noticeable change other than the installation is probably the command briefing in the first mission.

THAT's right. I remember thinking that that CB must have been altered, since it mentioned the situation with the cross-era weaponry.
Which was interesting by the way. It made loadouts a bit challenging, since the only dogfight primaries available were Prom Rs and a few Banshees. (I spent the first three missions in a Herc simply for the quad Banshees). I imagine the original would have been even trickier, since it wouldn't even have had Banshees!