Author Topic: Battuta's Guide to Finding Your First (Or Next!) Campaign  (Read 149002 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Battuta's Guide to Finding Your First (Or Next!) Campaign
Speaking of which, how hard would it be to implement Command Brief support to multiplayer?

It is doable. It's just a lot of work for a rather minor reward. The issue is making sure everyone has moved on to the briefing stage before setting up the briefing stuff. Right now the game simply assumes you're there if the game has loaded. To make them work you'd have to make the game decide if it should still do that (for missions with no CB) or play the CB, then send a message to the server saying that the CB has been played and it's safe to move on to the briefing.

Then you'd need to do the same thing for pre-rendered cutscenes and the fiction viewer or you'd get that request a few months later. :p

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Thanks for listing up the campaigns, General Battuta.
Since the description for Dimensional Eclipse is empty, thought I could share my impression.

Dimensional Eclipse is a total conversion that greatly changes the look and feel of ships. It's a story about an average space sim player being transported into an entire new universe. The atmosphere is mostly light-hearted, similar to Wings of Dawn.
The most striking aspects of the new ship behaviour are that gliding, reverse thrust and lateral movement are available for all player ships, and the greatly increased velocities compared to retail. Overall, a good choice for players looking for novelty.
(Note: Don't ace the test unless you want things to get wacky.)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
A good blurb, but I suspect Dimensional Eclipse deserves an even more thorough bit of editorial. Unfortunately after Andrew of Doom's release debacle I still haven't played it, so I'm not in a position to write that.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I think Operation Templar would be worth an entry. After all, in it's original form it's one of the only four canonical campaigns :v-old: made. Gameplay-wise the FSPort remake is quite good for a mini-campaign.

"Operation Templar was originally a set of four popular multiplayer co-op missions created by Volition to tell an important part of FreeSpace history: the fall of the Hammer of Light. The same team that created Silent Threat: Reborn also remade Operation Templar as a single-player campaign. The FSPort Operation Templar remake follows the original missions much more closely than Silent Threat: Reborn, preserving the mission structure, plot, briefings, and even voice acting, all while rebalancing the missions for single-player mode and making them FSO-compatiable. Operation Templar tells an essential (and canonical) bit of the FreeSpace story in the form of four challenging missions, featuring a unique blend of Volition and Hard Light talent."

Minor note, I think Derelict has 43 missions, not 60, unless there's a hidden set of missions I'm unaware of (I still have a couple missions left before I finish it.)

@Battuta,
I think this got a little buried in the general discussion about adding CBs to multiplayer. Any opinion?

BTW, I'm almost done making you and the BP team a nice big AoA review.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Battuta has (at his own request) been given a three month ban, so he probably won't be responding in the near future. Keep posting these summaries though - they can be integrated in his absence (if nobody else does, I can do it when next I'm at a keyboard rather than a phone).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline CT27

Concerning the first post and the 'ready to move beyond the FS setting' section, one point:

1-Isn't "Burning Heaven" set in the FS setting (it deals with the founding of the GTA)?

One more thing:  if GB comes back and updates this, I'd add "Ridiculous" to the "just for fun" campaign section.  It doesn't take itself too seriously (and it's kind of aware of its humorous nature) and I found myself laughing a number of times.  The wingmen have pretty good personalities too I thought.  There's a danger to be faced, but it's fun saving the GTVA.  Honestly, it's one of my favorites.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:09:24 am by CT27 »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Someone do a really snappy summary of Ridiculous!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hey Battuta, finish the other sections of this article set, K?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hmmmmmmmmmm they are going to be tricky!

Offline Luis Dias

Someone do a really snappy summary of Ridiculous!

In one word?

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Sol: A History would fit very well in here. Just beat it, it's technically solid, has great mission design (a bit on the hard side), and a very interesting plotline.  I personally liked it more than INFA, which was ok but maybe not good enough for the Guide.

"Sol: A History: An alternate prequel to the original Inferno, Blaise Russel's Sol: A History details the history of Sol during the isolation. Watch as new powers declare independence, the old GTA crumbles, powerful new weapons enter the fray, and the totalitarian Earth Alliance rises to power. Fly the enemy ships that tormented you in Inferno, visit every planet in the Solar System, and take part in the unification of Sol. A masterpiece by one of HLP's most successful FREDers, it's a lengthy and challenging adventure."

*Review idea falls out of the sky and hits InsaneBaron on the head*
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Boop boop done beep bip

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Cool!

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Uncharted Territory- A minicampaign with multiple endings built in. Venture deep into shivan space as a small, self sufficient science fleet headed by a mini carrier your squadron calls home. Your team’s mission is to run tests on subspace phenomena… what could go wrong?

Dimensional Eclipse – Get lost in this anime inspired modding experiment packed full of new gameplay features, and new takes on weapons and ships. Great attention has been given to this large mod right down to the tech room entries and custom menus. If you are looking for a different way to play the FSO engine, here is a good place to look!

Burning Heaven – A colony world has been illegally devastated by a rogue element in the earth military. Bent on revealing the truth, you form Phoenix Squadron and do whatever you can to bring attention to a forgotten crime, even if that means violence. Who is the terrorist and who is the freedom fighter? Find out in this thoughtfully written and voice acted campaign.

Rediculous – A solid freespace campaign with a sense of humor made by HLP member IronBeer. Numerous comical references to the original freespace campaigns and outside popular culture make this campaign a hit for those veteran players who claim to have seen it all. This is satire in a distilled form. Oh, and did I mention it’s voice acted?
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Awesome, thank you so much.

Offline CT27

Could I also make a possible suggestion for a "Ridiculous" summary?

(bigchunk1's is pretty cool)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I guess I should summarize Cardinal Spear:

"Released by Ace in 1998 Cardinal Spear is set during the Terran-Vasudan war, the GTA reels from a surprise attack on Earth and prepares for an offensive against the Vasudans. Taking place during the Vega Engagement, you are part of a taskforce intended to put an end to the war with a daring strike. This eight mission campaign included new weapons, 3d modeled planets, and a new installation, the PVI Karnak, at a time when FreeSpace modding was still in its infancy."
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Perfect, thank you. Added, plus my own flavor.

Offline CT27

Ridiculous-

"Join the GTD Arbitrary and crew as they seek to save the universe from the evil IronBeer's Plothole...all while having a good laugh.  Nine missions of great combat and humor (along with voice acting).  User IronBeer's first campaign...it makes saving the universe fun.  Oh by the way, there's a rock band with a Sathanas tour bus."

I would also suggest to add Shadow Genesis to the list. Definitely worth playing that. Cutting through endless waves of warships while also having i quite nice story.