Author Topic: Evolution of GTA military post Lucifer  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Zarax

Evolution of GTA military post Lucifer
This has likely already been discussed but hopefully not recently.
After the isolation of the system imposed by the Sol node collapse, what do you think happened to the GTA military?
Let's assume they managed to keep the system from descending into anarchy and had a few Orions with several cruisers stored for a last stand defence left.

Given no known communication with other systems, limited resources (a system can only be exploited so much) but likely the best terran scientists available how do you think the GTA space navy would "realistically" (as in with more limited resources than GTVA) evolve? Would they develop different technologies or improve different ones over their GTVA equivalents?
The Best is Yet to Come

Re: Evolution of GTA military post Lucifer
Is this excluding a lot of the imaginative thinking in some of the existing mods?

Offline Zarax

I will be explicit and say that IMHO it's unlikely that one system alone could pull an Inferno EA fleet.
The Best is Yet to Come

I mean, I'd imagine in the FreeSpace universe there's still a fair bit of power in intersystem jumps. They can probably still get to other systems but it'll be way slower, and those systems will be different than those reachable to the GTVA.

Systems are always connected via jump nodes. If anything, if we're combining real life astronomy with the FS node map - the GTVA might eventually find the GTA in the Alpha Centauri system after the GTA took many years to reach it.

This is assuming there are enough resources on Earth at that future date to accomplish such a venture, and that subspace drives have enough of a renewable power source to make smaller "intersystem jumps."

Offline Zarax

Ok, but what about their general military? I don't think they'd stop their R&D waiting for contact (which they even aren't sure there would be), would they?
The Best is Yet to Come

With contact cut off from the rest of the original GTA (which becomes GTVA), they'd spend a lot of time and energy on trying to make sure they could defend Earth on their own. And that would mean trying to find a better way to take down another Lucifer should one show up one day.

Beyond that, it's hard to say. They might even come up with the same tech as the GTVA, except at a slower clip. And there would be no equivalent to the Colossus. Moreover, I don't think they would be as helpless as some people imagine.

The original GTA carried out a war against Vasudans for a long time and was good at it. Beyond weaponry, a LOT would probably go into subspace research and communications technology.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I don't believe for a second they would be resource limited.  The entire solar system has an unbelievable amount of resources to be used and by far the most advanced and developed infrastructure in the former GTA to utilize it with.  The problem they might have is economics, if their economy relied heavily on exporting to the rest of the GTA.  With that suddenly cut off, they'd be in for a rough transition.  One way to fix having a **** ton of manufacturing and resources and nothing to do with it is to turn it toward military production.  Combine that with the "Oh damn, now we're on our own against the Shivans' return!" and you could end up with a terrifyingly powerful military.  The question is then along what lines does the technology develop.  It's heavily implied (or outright stated) in FS1 that Sol is the center of the GTA's sciencing (that's a word now), so I see no reason to believe tech would stagnate.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Zarax

Oh, I'm not implying a technological stagnation at all, I'm rather gathering ideas on how much military development would differ from the GTVA we know in FS2.

I have my own ideas that I may share later on (I'm trying to work on a short campaign but my FREDing skills are pretty lame) but I'd love to hear some wild ideas as well
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well just to toss out one extremely well documented scenario

Total economic collapse, decay of interstellar travel, economic rebound and remilitarization. Limited access to GTI assets and Vasudan science leads to military science on a trendline from the Great War — enhanced point defenses, antimatter as the endgame ship-killer (in both warship-launched and bomber-launched torpedoes), tandem development of heavy projectile weapons alongside plasma/laser weapons with sophisticated fire control. Fleet doctrine politically torn between the needs of an economical system police force and the possibility of Shivan return.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
No collapse of governing authority; Sol was able to feed itself at the least. First Fleet moved quickly after the node shutdown to seize control of all military manufacturing assets and instituted personnel and ship rotation rules to prevent any particular regional faction from easily staging a rebellion. The ruling government is more military than civilian, but in general preserves most of the freedoms that were available under the GTA with the caveat that a developing large-scale military action suspends the government and places the entire system under martial law.

Their weaponry has evolved along heavy spinal-mount accelerators as weapons of decision, fast bombers to cripple enemy ship weapons, and missile-based antifighter systems with either massive but relatively short-ranged antimatter "screen" warheads intended to break up and destroy attacking bomber formations (that also make decent antiship weapons in a close fight) or small, fast, long-ranged missiles for engaging dispersed targets. Their ship designs show a much clearer and more direct Great War influence, with many Great War models being uprated or rebuilt and even brand-new ships being obvious descendants of older ones.

They've heard the GTVA's attempts to communicate with them, they just don't believe it. Sol believes itself alone in a Shivan-dominated universe, with a siege mentality to match: their society is effectively designed for total war at moment's notice. They maintain heavy mine grids at the previous locations of the jump nodes, compulsory military service, detailed plans for moving the economy onto a war footing as rapidly as possible, and deep reserves of military hardware, shipbuilding capacity, and munitions manufacturing that are maintained for use in wartime.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story