Author Topic: Fate of PVD Prophecy?  (Read 6015 times)

Offline Zarax

Fate of PVD Prophecy?
It's the only HoL destroyer in canon that seems to survive, is there any consensus on its destiny?
The Best is Yet to Come

Re: Fate of PVD Prophecy?
The only campaign that care about its fate was Shrouding the Light: Origins.

But canon wise there were also surviving HOL destroyers in Silent Threat and Operation Templar.

Afaik it is possible to destroy the Prophecy in time and to be able to destroy the Lucifer afterwards.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline Zarax

That's nice to canonically it's basically MIA, right?
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
She probably engaged Bastion/Bastion engaged Prophecy, so it can be presumed that she is Typhon debris now.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Or she escaped that engagement. That's possible too.

I had a whole campaign about the Hammer of Light's ghost post-Templar.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline qwadtep

I can't imagine the Prophecy retreating from that fight, given their track record of getting themselves blown up for lesser Shivan gains.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I always figured that the Bastion wound up scrambling additional strike craft to take it out.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I killed it on more than one occasion.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Zarax

Well, with dwindling forces and having reached their goal of preventing the Bastion from jumping I'd guess a tactical retreat wouldn't be too far fetched though...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
That's nice to canonically it's basically MIA, right?

Yes

Yeah, I always figured that the Bastion wound up scrambling additional strike craft to take it out.

She probably engaged Bastion/Bastion engaged Prophecy, so it can be presumed that she is Typhon debris now.

While canonically it has never been verified, I highly doubt that such an engagement actually took place ...

Canonically the Bastion already made a dash to catch up with the Lucifer, leaving the rest of the fleet behind and probably expending a lot of ressources. Add to that it was canonized in FS2 that the engagement between the SD Tantalus and the GTD Bastion resulted in at least some losses in the Bastion's air group and as said before the canonical pace with which Bastion procceed onwards might have left them with little time for repairs. As result the Bastion would hardly been able to fight another engagement, esspecially with a large detachment of its (canonically unnumbered) air group chasing the Lucifer into the Delta Serpentis-Sol Node.

And remember that canonically the Typhon is superior to the Orion in a straight up fight, so at least from the perspective of the Bastion a fight would have been undesireable.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I have to add that the Bastion is pretty much at the do or die point; it's not going to catch the Lucifer, its aerospace group is the only chance left. The destroyer's own survival is immaterial compared to the survival of every Terran in the Sol system. There is no reason to hold any wings back.

A Feddie Story

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
I always thought the Prophecy just left once the GTA fighters and bombers got through.  They may not know the Lucifer is vulnerable in subspace and thus not consider the snub fighters to be any threat.  It is a very recent discovery--probably not common knowledge in the GTA/PVN fleet, let alone the HoL rebels.

For that matter, it's possible they can't do anything to interfere at that point--they also won't have the means to track ships through subspace.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
I'm pretty sure they knew that Lucy is vulnerable in subspace, they surely wouldn't send in a destroyer to attack fighters if they didn't knew.

Bastion surely had some Medusa or Ursa bombers standing by in the hangar, and could have sortied them to disarm the Prophecy before destroyers gets into the range of the turrets.

Further, there were Shivans, which could've attack the HoL forces too. And since HoL is weaker, and would not engage Shivans without direct confrontation. Shivans would've damage or destroy Vasudan craft and pave a way for the allied bombers.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Bastion surely had some Medusa or Ursa bombers standing by in the hangar, and could have sortied them to disarm the Prophecy before destroyers gets into the range of the turrets.

If it had them and didn't launch them against the Lucy already, it's because they're morons. It's do or die time.

A Feddie Story

Offline qwadtep

While canonically it has never been verified, I highly doubt that such an engagement actually took place ...

Canonically the Bastion already made a dash to catch up with the Lucifer, leaving the rest of the fleet behind and probably expending a lot of ressources. Add to that it was canonized in FS2 that the engagement between the SD Tantalus and the GTD Bastion resulted in at least some losses in the Bastion's air group and as said before the canonical pace with which Bastion procceed onwards might have left them with little time for repairs. As result the Bastion would hardly been able to fight another engagement, esspecially with a large detachment of its (canonically unnumbered) air group chasing the Lucifer into the Delta Serpentis-Sol Node.

And remember that canonically the Typhon is superior to the Orion in a straight up fight, so at least from the perspective of the Bastion a fight would have been undesireable.
Under which conditions the Prophecy surely would engage and destroy the Bastion, yet we know the Bastion survives. Meanwhile the Bastion has its own strategic imperative to engage: regardless of the outcome of the Lucifer's interception (which could still fail), additional Shivan forces or the exact goddamn Typhon that just appeared on Sol's doorstep could still push the attack and threaten Earth, and there are no other ships in range to reinforce the Terran homeworld in a decisive normal-space battle. Consider also that the Prophecy, deep in Terran space as it is, has likely not arrived to the battle unscathed either.

A Pyrrhic victory against the Lucifer could still result in the extinction of the human race by other means.

If it had them and didn't launch them against the Lucy already, it's because they're morons. It's do or die time.
Or because flight deck space is limited and scrambling to launch everything could result in an accident preventing the launch of anything.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Or because flight deck space is limited and scrambling to launch everything could result in an accident preventing the launch of anything.

The Bastion is literally spotting and launching flights that whole mission; when they stop, it's far more likely because the hanger's empty then because they had all those different wings on the deck.

A Feddie Story

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
The appearance of the Prophecy always seemed like a last minute addition to the mission. It served no purpose and it's presence isn't even acknowledged. I'd chock its appearance up to a :v: mission designer screw up.
Stuff

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Under which conditions the Prophecy surely would engage and destroy the Bastion, yet we know the Bastion survives. Meanwhile the Bastion has its own strategic imperative to engage: regardless of the outcome of the Lucifer's interception (which could still fail), additional Shivan forces or the exact goddamn Typhon that just appeared on Sol's doorstep could still push the attack and threaten Earth, and there are no other ships in range to reinforce the Terran homeworld in a decisive normal-space battle. Consider also that the Prophecy, deep in Terran space as it is, has likely not arrived to the battle unscathed either.

A Pyrrhic victory against the Lucifer could still result in the extinction of the human race by other means.

Sol has the entire 1st Fleet there and more GTA forces are following behind the Bastion.

A single vasudan destroyer - that isn't in optimal fighting condition and lost part of it's air wing - can't end the human race or Sol.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The appearance of the Prophecy always seemed like a last minute addition to the mission. It served no purpose and it's presence isn't even acknowledged. I'd chock its appearance up to a :v: mission designer screw up.

The player is running the gauntlet to the jump node.  The PVD Prophecy is yet another obstacle for the player to avoid.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Maybe it's different on higher difficulties, but even in an Ursa I could always max out engines and fly straight for 10 minutes and never be bothered.
I like to stare at the sun.