Author Topic: Does the FSO installer also install models/textures?  (Read 1748 times)

Does the FSO installer also install models/textures?
Evening all!  I just installed FSO (chose the "complete" option) and was curious to know if the installer is also installing custom ship models and skins for the FS2 base game?  I see all of the mods listed in wxLauncher, but those all seem to be campaigns (maybe these campaigns use their own custom models and skins?)

If the installer does not install new models and skins for the base game, is there an all-in-one pack to download that replaces everything in one fell swoop?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Does the FSO installer also install models/textures?
The MediaVPs does this.  Also, FSPort is FS1 brought to FS2 engine.  FSPort-mediavps has newer skins over the FSPort mod.

So, select MediaVPs in the launcher for FS2 +pretty, and select FSPort-mediavps for FS1 +pretty.  However, for Silent Threat (FS1 expansion pack), instead of playing ST, play ST:Reborn, as the original ST was pretty shoddy.  Both ST and ST:R are in FSPort & FSPort-mediavps, select the mod, then select the campaign from the FS2 Campaign Room.

So, select MediaVPs in the launcher for FS2 +pretty

Pardon my newness, but what is the +pretty option you're talking about?  Should this have been installed alongside all of the other mods when FSO downloaded them?

Offline Luis Dias

Instal the Mediavps 2014 and select this "mod" in the wxlauncher. Your FreeSpace 2 experience will have the best ships with the best textures and the best graphics. We will make FreeSpace 2 Great A... sorry. Nevertheless, all other mods who can take advantage of mediavps 2014 will, automatically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
So, select MediaVPs in the launcher for FS2 +pretty

Pardon my newness, but what is the +pretty option you're talking about?  Should this have been installed alongside all of the other mods when FSO downloaded them?

Sorry for the confusion.  That wasn't an actual technical term.  I meant, it will be super COOL WOW amazing new graphics L@@K!!!111oneoneeleventy-one.

Sorry for the confusion.  As Luis said, those mods that call for mediavps will enable them automatically, but, for the base campaign, you do need to enable them if you want them.

To simplify, let's say you load mod <yourmod>.  It has a config file that says "hey, this mod uses mediavps, load that as well".  So you don't need to enable mediavps.  However, if you're just playing plain FS2, no mod is loaded, so if you want the updates, you must specify that yes, you want to load mod <mediavps20xx>

Does that make sense?

Does that make sense?

Perfect sense!