Author Topic: GTCv Deimos  (Read 86844 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I see you have good judgement for picking up ships that hasn't been HTLed yet. You should redo the Colossus or the Artemis next.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hades u r a hero

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Watch out, please do not add details or move stuff around that would break multi, please... that is, if your model gets picked up for next mvps
Avoiding this is wrong way to solve the problem. Either everyone plays retail, or everyone plays same version of mediavps. No mixing allowed.

Disallowing artistic freedom or alterations based on other logical and sound reasons just because of multi compatibility is silly. Particularly because this compatibility issue only arises if retail and mvp assets are allowed to be mixed in same multi game.

I see you have good judgement for picking up ships that hasn't been HTLed yet. You should redo the Colossus or the Artemis next.
Bite it. You want other ships redone? Fine, do them yourself. Let other people to work on models they like or want to work on. If Hades wants to do a particular ship that is his choice and his contribution is appreciated if the end result is better than the currently used model, regardless of quality of current model compared to others.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:41:07 am by Fury »

Offline Shade

Particularly because this compatibility issue only arises if retail and mvp assets are allowed to be mixed in same multi game.

Fury, you're wrong in this. Major changes such as deimos front beams suddenly being killable from the side will still affect balance in a number of multi missions even if everyone is using mediaVPs. Single player missions as well for that matter, but I'm not part of a project maintaining those so that's less of a concern for me. Anyway, I've already made a thread explaining this issue in more detail elsewhere on this forum, so I won't get into it further here. And whether the FSU chooses to pay any heed to our concerns is, of course, entirely your own decision.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I thought the subject at hand was position of turrets, not them being exposed from side. The latter would in fact also affect single-player mission balance if subsytems like turrets can be damaged from wider angle.

Offline Shade

Position is also an issue, as explained in the thread on the subject. But yes, only a serious one in mixed games. But them being killable from the side would be a really huge issue.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

Of course the beams are going to have bigger turrets, these are the ones on the front. May change them up a bit, but yeah. Used the old high-poly model so you can get an idea of how they'd connect to the hull.

The terslashes were upscaled a bit since the last screenshots, and they're probably going to stay that size :p

No.

No no no.

This will affect the balance on every single mission that uses a Deimos against capital ships, hostile or friendly, and it will affect it a lot. If you want big turret bases, make them part of the hull and putt little nipples in the middle, but the turrets have to stay small, and the hit-arcs have to stay restricted to the front.

This isn't an artistic or aesthetic issue. This is a game balance issue. And please remember, not to sound arrogant or anything, but I have been messing around with FRED and balancing missions for 10 years or so, and I think that gives me at least a degree of authority in this subject. Those turrets are mission changers, I guarantee it.

For reference, think about how easy itis to take out the big giant BGreen on the Hecate, vs. the current deimos' tiny little buttons...
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Why is everyone assuming the entire tube is a turret?

I suspect the very tip is a turret. The placement of the beams looks to be exactly the same.

Why is everyone assuming the entire tube is a turret?

I suspect the very tip is a turret. The placement of the beams looks to be exactly the same.

The tips are already much bigger than the current beam turrets, and will hence be more easily aimed at and destroyed. While it does simply make sense to have a bigger turret for beams than for lasers, this will unbalance existing missions.

[...] before the Argo there's the new Karuna I promised BP [...]

Is the Karuna not hi-poly enough yet? And hasn't Esarai been cleaning up and retexturing the current one?

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Watch out, please do not add details or move stuff around that would break multi, please... that is, if your model gets picked up for next mvps

I wasn't aware anyone really played multiplayer -- I always ran into stuff like my build not being compatible, very big lag issues, and so on.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think that actual radius of beam turrets should fit retail configuration, regardless of how silly it sometimes looks.
In general, the new Deimos looks promising, old HTL was really outdated.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Christ, only the top is the turret, the rest is the base. Thanks for jumping the gun and assuming I don't know having it shootable from the side could break things.

[...] before the Argo there's the new Karuna I promised BP [...]

Is the Karuna not hi-poly enough yet? And hasn't Esarai been cleaning up and retexturing the current one?
The Karuna before Esarai cleanup has a staggering amount of triangles, over 50000, with a huge lack of any detail to speak of. Esarai is just going through, cleaning it up best as he can and uvmapping it. He and Battuta both think it is a good idea for me to upgrade the Karuna, so yeah.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline peterv

Very nice approach for the beams (yeah OK beam - bases) :yes:

On a side note, Eniochs Argo is ~ 70% UV mapped and will probably be finished by next week.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I personally think you're amazing for doing the Deimos.

Also, when you do the Karuna, please help that poor fighterbay.

Offline Hades

Most definitely. The fighterbay, bridge, and engine parts have always needed some remodeling the most.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Like the current progress a lot, the beam cannons look sweet, and I'm eager to see what you do with the Ursa. :D

Offline Goblix

Wow, looking great so far Hades! I'm loving the way the beam turrets are looking, the original HTL model always felt a bit bare.

I was just thinking earlier today that the Deimos really needed a face lift, it always was my favorite ship.

Keep up the good work man. :)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
When the bloody Hell did the Deimos ever have a fighter bay?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Qent

I personally think you're amazing for doing the Deimos.

Also, when you do the Karuna, please help that poor fighterbay.

Most definitely. The fighterbay, bridge, and engine parts have always needed some remodeling the most.

Offline Hades

Still need to finish up the top part let alone the newly added part. The turrets are from my Medusa and are place holders, probably.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL