Author Topic: Installation Woes  (Read 1435 times)

Hi all,

Longtime freespace fan here, though I probably haven't played since middle school...was checking in on a lark, discovered BP and decided it was a must have. Just reading about the VEGADEX backdrop and the pregame GTVA doctrinal debates was enough to get me hook, line, and sinker.

I downloaded the 3.7.4 FSO installer and it looked like all the BP files were downloaded and installed correctly. Checked the builds in FS port and FS2 with the media VPS and both games running top notch with the new graphics. When I opened Blue Planet Complete up the Petrarch intro cutscene ran fine (all the feels) and everything was a-ok with the dossiers, but I noticed the tech room only showed the ships available at the start in FS2's techroom (no Colossus, no Raynors, etc.)

As soon as I hit play on Age of Aquarius I got a mostly black screen with some white chevrons toward the bottom right, and then a crash with no explanation. Some preliminary looks through the troubleshooting threads let me know that my problem was likely the fact that Inferno had failed to download/install from the installer; the BP documentation said you need "an inferno build". So I went to freespace mods, found Inferno 1, and ran the .exe installer.

Afterwards I went to fire up BP from the FSO launcher and now it crashes after I press "run" there, with the error dump reading:

weapons.tbl(line 512):
Error: Required token = [#End] or [$Name:], found [@Laser Glow: 2_laserglow03].

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 213 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4.exe! Error + 230 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4.exe! error_display + 202 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4.exe! required_string_either + 155 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4.exe! parse_weaponstbl + 191 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4.exe! weapon_init + 83 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4.exe! game_init + 1373 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4.exe! game_main + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4.exe! WinMain + 222 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_4.exe! __scrt_common_main_seh + 253 bytes
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 36 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlSubscribeWnfStateChangeNotification + 1081 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlSubscribeWnfStateChangeNotification + 1028 bytes

This same message shows when I try to load any mod (BP and Inferno included) or FS2 with or without media VPS. Curiously FSP still works fine, though the inferno campaign shows up in the campaign room. When I try to click on it, I get a warning that 20+ ship models in it cannot be found in this mod.

Sounds like that Inferno .exe posted things into the FS2 root that have gunked it up! So with that, a few questions for any kind or plucky souls that might help:
1) Is there anything I can do to restore the mostly functional state it was in pre-inferno, aside from a complete reinstall of FS2/FSO?
2) Is there a workaround to get BP to work without having Inferno? (I vaguely remember quitting the game originally because my middle school brain couldn't comprehend how to install Inferno correctly, and here it seems I am full circle 8 years later)
3) If the answer to 2 is no....help please!

I am running it on Windows 10 64 bit if that is relevant...looks like FSO 3.7.4 was compiled on Windows 7. Screen is 1920x1080

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You don't need anything to do with Inferno to run BP. You're right that the Inferno exe has ****ed up your ****.

Delete your install, reinstall clean, run the FSO installer to install Blue Planet Complete. Make sure you've selected a 3.7.4 build in the Launcher to run the game.

If you are getting a 'FreeSpace has stopped responding' message on the black loading screen with the chevrons, just wait. The game is caching in models.

If you hit any other problems, let us know, we're happy to walk you through fixes!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
As soon as I hit play on Age of Aquarius I got a mostly black screen with some white chevrons toward the bottom right, and then a crash with no explanation.
That's the loading screen. It didn't crash, but since FSO stopped replying to the operating system, it can think FSO has crashed when it hasn't; you need to not touch anything while it's loading so Windows won't think FSO has stopped responding and kill it. (This problem will be fixed in FSO 3.8.)

Some preliminary looks through the troubleshooting threads let me know that my problem was likely the fact that Inferno had failed to download/install from the installer; the BP documentation said you need "an inferno build". So I went to freespace mods, found Inferno 1, and ran the .exe installer.
Noooooo. Firstly, Inferno and Inferno builds are completely separate. Secondly, neither have anything to do with Blue Planet! Blue Planet has never required any Inferno-related campaigns to be installed, and Inferno builds ceased to exist as a separate entity around FSO 3.6.12.

You can either try reinstalling from scratch (if you do so, make sure you delete the fsoinstaller.properties file that can be found in your user folder, e.g. C:\Users\<name>\fsoinstaller.properties, or check the "Re-run installation for mods that are already installed and up to date" checkbox in the installer; otherwise, it will think everything's already installed and not reinstall anything), or you can try deleting whatever the Inferno installer stuck in your root FS2 directory. If there's an INF_Main.vp and/or INF_2Patch.vp file sitting in the same folder as your FS2 executables, then deleting them might be all you need to get things working again. Otherwise, you can provide a debug log and we can see if the bad files stick out.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Thanks for the help guys ! Deleting Inferno wasn't enough to do it, but a clean reinstall did the trick.

Blown away by the first couple of missions: I'll be back once I'm all caught up!