Author Topic: Squadrons?  (Read 7820 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I'm wondering why are You spoiling us all the storyline U have...

No matter what the storyline is. If You REALLY have to make 50+ long campaign, divide it into acts and release in 20-30 mission long chapters. I could release my current project as a 100-mission long campaign, but it would take years. Instead of, after a year of hard work we have almost ready Act I with 25 missions. Isn't it better this way?

The other thing is importance of individual missions for your plot. Derelict for example has a lot of missions fulfilled with random skirmishes with pirates and some other boring stuff, which are not needed for the main storyline. Aftermath and Shadow Genesis have similar problem. It's good to hold the twist of action for some time, but 5 missions with random patrols and raids on illegal pirate cargo depot before would kill all the fun. Don't make your campaign longer than it needs to be.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

I'm wondering why are You spoiling us all the storyline U have...

No matter what the storyline is. If You REALLY have to make 50+ long campaign, divide it into acts and release in 20-30 mission long chapters. I could release my current project as a 100-mission long campaign, but it would take years. Instead of, after a year of hard work we have almost ready Act I with 25 missions. Isn't it better this way?

The other thing is importance of individual missions for your plot. Derelict for example has a lot of missions fulfilled with random skirmishes with pirates and some other boring stuff, which are not needed for the main storyline. Aftermath and Shadow Genesis have similar problem. It's good to hold the twist of action for some time, but 5 missions with random patrols and raids on illegal pirate cargo depot before would kill all the fun. Don't make your campaign longer than it needs to be.

I thought of making acts already,and i will make them.I'll also try shorting the campaign a bit,and i will also add some trainings.And change first mission completely to make it more ,,playable'' and it will be kinda like fleet battle,to enhance first impressions.Acts i am thinking of:

Act 1:Attacking Shivans in and beyond Fomalhaut.10 missions.
Act 2:Shivan Counterattack in Capella,stopping assault on the Nebula after Fomalhaut,retreat to Delta Serpentis,Should force in Vega fail.6 missions.
Act 3:Shivan attack on the Ross 128.Vega force retreats to Delta Serpentis as well,losing Icanus.Unknown number of missions.
Act 4:Final attack on Sol,eliminating last Celebrai ships.Gigas makes it to the planet with moderate damage,gate opening Shivans escaping to their home.

That's current idea,during creation it may actually be changed a bit.

Since this topic became about my campaign. :blah:

How do i make squadron insignia's.Would like to create and use them for my campaign,better than flying in the 70th Blue Lions all the time.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Don't doublepost.

First: Prepare a proper place for insignia in PCS2 [or use models with proper place for insignia].
Second: Find/make proper insignia image.
Third: Place the insignia on fighter in Mission Specs in FRED
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CT27

I know this is a relatively subjective issue, so I hope it's okay I offered my opinion:

To give my opinion on what was said about Shadow Genesis...I don't think the length of SG was the whole problem.  In my opinion, it was the noticeably higher difficulty of SG combined with the length that was perhaps the issue.  It made it feel like a struggle to get through (note:  I can still think of a mission or two that maybe could have been taken out for conciseness).

Longer campaigns can be fun.  I think my higher end range (in terms of # of missions) is about what the main FS2 campaign had; let's say mid-high 20s.  Now I don't think all campaigns should necessarily have a high number of missions (or even double digit missions)...for instance, "Destiny Of Peace" (7 missions) is one of my favorites.
However, it can be cool to know you're playing a big campaign, there can be a certain feeling of epicness.  I kind of like that.  The mid-high 20s # I mentioned earlier might be a good compromise:  it's not the gigantic # (40s) like some others so it can be a bit more tight/concise, but at the same time allows for a detailed and epic storyline.

To end:  I'm not saying that just because a campaign has a huge # of missions that that automatically means it's cool/awesome/epic/something like that.

I like Derelict and The Aftermath, but I'll also admit they didn't need to be 'quite' that long.

Don't doublepost.

First: Prepare a proper place for insignia in PCS2 [or use models with proper place for insignia].
Second: Find/make proper insignia image.
Third: Place the insignia on fighter in Mission Specs in FRED

I already have insignia's,but are in JPEG formats,how could i change them into pcx?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Actually, FSO supports JPG format. It's not the best one, but should work for insignia.

Gimp 2?

I downloaded gimp,changed insignias into pcx,added them to the mission1,but they don't appear on fighters.

Does it need specific size,or INFR1 fighters cannot have insignias.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Make them 64x64, 128x128 or 256x256. I'm not sure if retail game supports any bigger resolutions. Also it has to be in proper pcx format. I have no idea how to convert pcx or something, it's pretty archaic file format. Modern mods are using mostly files in dds format.

Make them 64x64, 128x128 or 256x256. I'm not sure if retail game supports any bigger resolutions. Also it has to be in proper pcx format. I have no idea how to convert pcx or something, it's pretty archaic file format. Modern mods are using mostly files in dds format.

Size of the one i tried is 225X225

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
It's not likely to work in FSO. I had problems with planet textures before, and they were caused by not proper image size. Try 256x256 or 128x128.

It's not likely to work in FSO. I had problems with planet textures before, and they were caused by not proper image size. Try 256x256 or 128x128.

Neither 256x256 nor 128x128 didn't work.

That's comfirmed on Vesuvius,Claymore Mk.1 and Imset.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=88308.msg1762405#msg1762405

/\
                                                          New place for the campaign