Poll

Should we keep our models exclusive, or release them to the community?

Keep our assets exclusive - it'll make the final INF release better!
2 (2.8%)
Release assets on a case-by-case basis.
29 (40.8%)
Release any assets we've been sitting on for a while - benefit the whole community.
40 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Do you want Inferno to keep its assets exclusive?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Re: Do you want Inferno to keep its assets exclusive?
I'm always in favor of releasing assets. It all but eliminates the possibility that those assets will get lost in an unlucky hard drive failure, or loss of cloud storage access, or something.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
My answer to this question would be "why are you even asking this question?".

HLP has survived and thrived on sharing. It's part of our DNA. Don't be Earth Defense.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Homeworld: Blue Planet     -     Help us help you     -     FSO Installer     -     BP extras portal     -     My legacy

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline CT27

My answer to this question would be "why are you even asking this question?".

HLP has survived and thrived on sharing. It's part of our DNA. Don't be Earth Defense.

What happened with Earth Defense?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It had a bunch of great assets for a long time but never finished any missions and never released.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Currently modeling SG Rahu and FREDding for Scroll
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Also, sometimes if you release assets a crazy talented mother****er pops up out of nowhere and improves them of his own crazy Canadian volition. That's a lot easier than recruiting.

Seconded. I hate seeing wasted potential, as my history on HLP will show.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I voted for the case-by-case basis, but I was primarily thinking of huge set-pieces like, say, the Nemesis.  If it's a ship on that scale that's a huge focal point of the entire plot, then I have no problem with a team wanting to keep it exclusive (provided there's also a plan in place to release it publicly in the unfortunate event that the project should fold).  Other than that, I think recent history has shown that mostly-open assets tend to provide the most benefit to the community as a whole, and as Battuta noted can even help attract fresh blood to your project.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Is anything happening on this front Lepanto? It's been about a month and a half so the poll has had plenty of time to run course.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL