entire cockpit mockups
6 (12%)
motion simulators
2 (4%)
dope for snuffy
15 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: June 01, 2012, 01:09:35 am

Author Topic: OSHW and Freespace. Would you buy parts for building an fs cockpit simulator.  (Read 12658 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: OSHW and Freespace. Would you buy parts for building an fs cockpit simulator.
im probibly not going to go with anything fancy, really. the etch method is adequate. and only costs me $5, and i figure i can etch another similar sized board with the remaining peroxide and vinegar. i certainly dont want to blow money on safety gear.  flipping the board with my bare fingers didnt leave me any worse for ware. if i go with anything it will be ferric chloride and other common pcb etchants. i dont mind agitating for 30 minutes, its certainly lest time than i spent soldering together the vias.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Al-Rik

Re: OSHW and Freespace. Would you buy parts for building an fs cockpit simulator.
that's sensible.  :yes:
I work with this kind of chemicals each day and have access to professional equipment. Some of the recipes I found on various websites are even in a professional lab dangerous.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
http://www.instructables.com/id/Stop-using-Ferric-Chloride-etchant!--A-better-etc/?ALLSTEPS

Hey, just an FYI, if you notice that the URL gets borked because of strange symbols, you can fix it like this:

Code: [Select]
[url]http://www.instructables.com/id/Stop-using-Ferric-Chloride-etchant!--A-better-etc/?ALLSTEPS[/url]
To get this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Stop-using-Ferric-Chloride-etchant!--A-better-etc/?ALLSTEPS

That's also handy for stuff like google.com, which normally doesn't get caught as a url.

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
I've -tried- to follow this thread, but I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I'm not in the least bit techno-savvy.

From what I read in the OP, you're trying to build a cockpit that runs Freespace, correct? Like the sit-in arcade flight sims?
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
first off oshw = open source hardware.

second off the idea was to generate a system of gauges that you can use to build a cockpit

after a little theoretical discussion on the idea, i decided to actually build something, which is still a wip, though ive been puting it off due to fishing season.

that was followed by a lengthy discussion about the chemicals involved in etching circuit boards.

and then you come in all confused about the thread.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
nice topic.... i like it :yes:
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama