Author Topic: Many thanks.  (Read 3877 times)

Offline boewolf

Having just finished the the camp.  I must say a much loved thank you to the Diaspora team for all their hard work.  It is a lot of fun and well worth the wait.

So thanks for everything you have created.

GG keep it up.

Offline newman

Always nice to hear people enjoy it, thanks!
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Madcat

Let me join in on the praise, this is flat out amazing!
The overall attention to detail, the flight model, the sounds, the voice acting,  the whole atmosphere, it all hits home - I can't remember being immersed so much into a game for many, many years. :)
Between experiencing the great feel of the Diaspora flight model for the first time, as well as me having finally put in the effort to make my TrackIr system work properly, today has definitely been a new peak of PC flying experience for me.

Having watched the whole show twice on DVD (and the big battle scenes a lot more often ;7 ), I was very much looking forward to finally get to play Diaspora for the last few years. Now, shooting out the launch tube in the first mission and diving right into the action was such an overwhelming and satisfying moment.
I've only finished a few missions so far and I'd already like to say that every single day of the wait has been worth it.

So, my deepest thanks to the whole team for all the effort you put into this, and as a labour of love to boot. You are all awesome!

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
thank you all for the support!
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

I can't believe how amazing this experience was. Thank you so much for spending the time to make Diaspora. I will do anything to get more content. I need the content. After I beat the campaign in an hour I just sat there in amazement. I cannot believe the quality of experience you generous people provided for free. Thank you. I hope you all find successful careers in the industry. We need more people like you. To think, this was created for free by fans, and yet we never got anything like this officially, is sad and exciting all at the same time. I hope you guys find the opportunity to make more content, because the campaign was too good and too short. I need more. I must have more! Thanks!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I will do anything to get more content. I need the content.

Including making it yourself? :p

We included the mission editor after all and a walkthrough on how to use it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline boewolf

I already have a little something something in mind.  I should have something to show off in a few days if I am lucky.  Maybe a few weeks...

Offline Fawz

First off lots of thanks! I too was incredibly surprised and amazed. I heard about the game for the first time after I saw the release post on r/linux_gaming.

About that, I was pretty confused at first since I couldn't find the editor in the files for linux. Apparently though there is no proper linux version apart from a more or less unmaintained port?

As someone completely new to fs2 and thereby its modding scene, finding resources has been a bit rough. I guess I'll have to try running the editor and wine since I absolutely feel the need to create a smallish campaign for this.

Thanks again for an awe inspiring experience!

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Unfortunately, the mission editor (FRED) is Windows only, and there have been recent reports that it doesn't work in Wine. As such, you'll likely have a hard time creating even a smallish campaign if you're using Linux. :blah:

As you mentioned, there was an attempt at making a cross-platform version of FRED called wxFRED, but that project made limited progress and became inactive years ago, and it would take years of intense, dedicated work to complete wxFRED. I'm not saying that it won't happen, mind you, just that it won't happen in the near future and would not be easy to accomplish.

But in an attempt to split-proof this post :D I'd also like to thank the team for all the work they've done and just say how blown away I am by all of the features in R1, from the new flight model and AI that require me to completely rethink my strategy to the original music and sound to the new HUD, assets, and effects to the rewrite of the FREDdocs for the current version of FRED, which we can then port back to cover FS2.

[Despite the badge, I'm not a core team member; I was brought on board to coordinate efforts with making the launcher usable for Diaspora, although I also helped out with other things, like assembling the Linux release package.]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:03:25 am by jg18 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
*Turns vortex of evil up to 12 to suck jg18 in further* :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
*Grabs onto Scroll to keep him from getting sucked in further* :p

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Humm... Although a PITA, I imagine that if you were horribly averse to installing Windows as a dual-boot option on your system you could always acquire Hiren's Boot CD/USB and use the boot Mini XP option, perhaps FRED would work with that.

Offline newman

Humm... Although a PITA, I imagine that if you were horribly averse to installing Windows as a dual-boot option on your system you could always acquire Hiren's Boot CD/USB and use the boot Mini XP option, perhaps FRED would work with that.

If anyone tries this please report back here. Will be interesting to hear results, and if this works it can be the suggested workaround for Linux users.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I wonder if FRED currently works with ReactOS alpha.... if so, that would probably be better to recommend, as *technically* you aren't supposed to use something like miniXP on CD/USB if you don't have a license (I'd think the OEM license that came with your computer for Windows XP/Vista/7 would be fine, however, not everyone has even that).

EDIT: Assuming, of course, that ReactOS has a live CD/USB variant already.

I will join my comrades to thank the Diaspora team for that tremendous work, as a BSG fan it is a dream come true! I haven't finished it yet but so far it feels really satisfying. I'd also like to extend my thanks to the freespace community for the improvements you guys did over the years and hope to see more of it.

Offline Ard

ATM I can't get through 6th (I think?) missions due to crashing, though this thing is amazing, voice acting and everything. Thanks.

Going to jump in on this thread here and thank the whole Diaspora team for putting out such a wonderful game!

The way the game captures the feel of BSG, it's downright uncanny. The only thing that could beat this is an actual Universal/SyFy production that got Bear McCreary to do the music and the entire original cast to do the voice acting. Even then it'd be tough because where Diaspora really brings together all its wonderful pieces is in the superb mission design and finely tuned game mechanics.

More than anything else, Diaspora felt like a legitimate BSG side-story. It fit within the universe and the tone and feel of it felt completely seamless with everything else we've seen onscreen. This is a monumental accomplishment!

I've just finished the campaign, and I gotta say, it's been a great ride. It's rare that games grip me emotionally at the endgame, but Diaspora succeeded and by the last mission I was muttering "gods damned frakkin toasters!" and simply trying to take as many Raiders with me before everything hit the fan.

Once again, kudos to everyone who worked on the game! And even if we have to wait another four years for R2, it will be well worth it.

Hands down one of the best games I've played in 2012.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:11:57 am by FlyingWok »

Offline newman

And even if we have to wait another four years for R2...

I certainly hope not, we should really put R2 out before some of us start dying off from old age :P