Author Topic: Bandits, Bandits, Bandits!  (Read 2357 times)

Bandits, Bandits, Bandits!
In another thread, someone mentioned the inconsistent use of the term "wing" in dialogue.  Another big one I noticed is that the pilots use the terms "Bogey" and "Bandit" interchangeably.  In RL pilot jargon, "Bogeys" are unidentified contacts, while confirmed enemy planes are "Bandits."  Come to think of it, I don't remember any cases of either term being used on the show, usually they just said "Raiders."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Bandits, Bandits, Bandits!
In another thread, someone mentioned the inconsistent use of the term "wing" in dialogue.

Given that the show was also inconsistent, I don't care much. That just makes us more authentic. :p

The definition has been wrong in space sims since the days of Wing Commander.

Another big one I noticed is that the pilots use the terms "Bogey" and "Bandit" interchangeably.  In RL pilot jargon, "Bogeys" are unidentified contacts, while confirmed enemy planes are "Bandits."  Come to think of it, I don't remember any cases of either term being used on the show, usually they just said "Raiders."

Both are definitely used in the show and as far as I can tell, they're used correctly. It's kinda annoying that the wrong versions slipped into the game cause I even made sure the documentation had a description of what both of those mean.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Flights, Wings, and Squadrons are used interchangeably in the show.

As for bandit and bogey there are cases where it is sometimes used wrong, and with the game there's a case where general pilot message and in-mission dialog don't always match up:

So bogey gets used by generic pilots (since when a new wing arrives it might not be IDed) often while bandit is used in the actual mission where there's context.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

I got the impression from the show that DRADIS automatically identifies all the contacts as friend or foe, since contacts are usually labeled as soon as they appear on the display.

I got the impression from the show that DRADIS automatically identifies all the contacts as friend or foe, since contacts are usually labeled as soon as they appear on the display.

That is  mainly because all contacts jump into rather close range anyway. Quite sure that when the peggy appeared, the ID'ing was a bit troublesome.

Offline Aether

Quite sure that when the peggy appeared, the ID'ing was a bit troublesome.

It did ;) I'm watching all the episodes again to get back into it :D
So say we all!

I like to imagine that the "DIS" in "DRADIS" stands for "discrimination," since "distance" is redundant, and it can tell one thing from the next.

(Sidenote: I really liked the effect in "The Captain's Hand" where the three baseships jump in, and they're all listed as "Unknown" before becoming basestars a half second later).