Author Topic: landing  (Read 3717 times)

Offline batav

is there a trick to automatically land ?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nope, combat landings in every mission except Training Mission 1. Are you having problems landing?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline crizza

On the first two difficulties you can even crash into..."roof" sections of the hangar and be deflected so that you come to rest in the hangar.
But if you're not trying to do the landing in the craziest way, just fly into the hangar and drift down...easy going^^

Offline newman

Remembering to use the reverse thrust to slow down faster, and downward thrusters to put yourself in contact with the deck can be helpful.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline batav

ok ;)
thank you everyone for supporting neebies ;)

Offline Aether

If you're having any more difficulty you can consult the guide I wrote above, Aether's Guide for Nuggets. ;)
So say we all!

the only landing I found difficult (on normal) was the landing at the very end, and mainly because of all the furniture in the bay and the small landable surface.  I failed the campaign once because I missed the landing deck and my maglocks weren't engaged when the ship jumped around me. (forgive my vagueness I'm trying to avoid spoiling the ending)

Landings on Theseus are easy though, I even locked down on the ramp outside the bay once when I hit the deck too early.

Offline Aether

the only landing I found difficult (on normal) was the landing at the very end

Same here! I had it jump around me (if that makes sense). Despite this I did have a bit of fun with the time limit pressure and having to navigate my way inside a ship.
Just going full speed, reaching it, then no speed, checking the timer, "Frak, frak, frak, frak", dodging containers, almost landing, and then ultimately failing :lol:
So say we all!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
That happened to testers a few times. Which is why we have the alt, easier, landings for Easy and Normal difficulties.

Advanced is called Advanced for a reason :p
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Same here! I had it jump around me (if that makes sense). Despite this I did have a bit of fun with the time limit pressure and having to navigate my way inside a ship.
Just going full speed, reaching it, then no speed, checking the timer, "Frak, frak, frak, frak", dodging containers, almost landing, and then ultimately failing :lol:

I actually ended up landing on the deck at virtually T-0, my skids mag-locked, ship jumps leaving my glued to my position in empty space, yet 3 seconds later I jump on my own. Hey, whatever works...
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Yep, the default names the engine uses are Very easy, easy, medium, hard and insane. We changed the names because we didn't want people automatically upping the difficulty level and then complaining the game was too hard.

For some reason there are people insulted by the idea they might have to play a game on easy. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

I actually ended up landing on the deck at virtually T-0, my skids mag-locked, ship jumps leaving my glued to my position in empty space, yet 3 seconds later I jump on my own. Hey, whatever works...

Hmm, thought we fixed all of those.

That one happened to me, too.

Yep, the default names the engine uses are Very easy, easy, medium, hard and insane. We changed the names because we didn't want people automatically upping the difficulty level and then complaining the game was too hard.

For some reason there are people insulted by the idea they might have to play a game on easy. :D

It would be kind of nice if... the middle one... had aim-assist, too. Normal was a little too easy, but it's a little frustrating to spend so many bullets and have most of them just fly around the raiders. It's not like I'm running out, but it takes a while, and even on normal, it's not like I could make a real dent in the raider population.

So... Diaspora's 'normal' is 'easy' in disguise...?

Oh the humility.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I had nearly forgotten there were other difficulties than Insane in that game :D
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

just a thought, real carriers use a Fresnel lens Optical Landing System, commonly called the "meatball," to guide pilots into a proper landing trajectory, battlestars have a similar looking light system below the landing deck on each flight pod.

If we had a working OLS, it would make combat landings much easier

The meatballs on Theseus are nonfunctional cosmetic lights, but I've seen some flight sims manage functional meatballs.  Some use scripts, but a few of them I've seen create a Fresnel-like effect by using polygon screens set at different angles, which is comparatively simple.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Yeah, that would be a neat effect. It's not really at the moment, (and not really necessary either since landing is extremely forgiving), but it would be a cool piece of immersion to be able to do something like that.