Author Topic: Those old pics  (Read 5528 times)

Probably i'm talking about something that has been already explained but...the screenshots that you can see in the Diaspora's website (http://diaspora.hard-light.net/screenshots.html) means that the developing team has already made Mark II and pegasus/galactica models?
Or maybe thees are old models that doesn't work with the actual release?

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Or maybe thees are old models that doesn't work with the actual release?

You answered that yourself.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
What exactly is the problem with them? I don't see any reason why wouldn't they work, especially the Colonial One, which IIRC isn't armed. Mark II Viper uses the same KEW and missiles as Mark VII, so I don't see why this one wouldn't work either (isn't that the same model as in BTRL, BTW?). In fact, Colonial One was one of the models I was looking forward to in Diaspora.
EDIT: It just occurred to me that Mk II and the Blackbird could be missing cockpit models. Still doesn't excuse the Colonial One though.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Not the same model as BtRL at all. Cockpits are needed, and with some of these meshes what might look complete isn't.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What exactly is the problem with them? I don't see any reason why wouldn't they work, especially the Colonial One, which IIRC isn't armed. Mark II Viper uses the same KEW and missiles as Mark VII, so I don't see why this one wouldn't work either (isn't that the same model as in BTRL, BTW?). In fact, Colonial One was one of the models I was looking forward to in Diaspora.
EDIT: It just occurred to me that Mk II and the Blackbird could be missing cockpit models. Still doesn't excuse the Colonial One though.

Yeah, man, there's no excuse for these hard working unpaid people to fail to give you a computer model of a spaceship. You have RIGHTS

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, they showed it off and teased people with it, so it'd be nice to finally see it released. :)
Also, I just realized I might try porting BTRL stuff (Majahual and Viper Mk II) to Diaspora. Perhaps the asteroids too. They'd make decent placeholders until Diaspora releases it's own versions. More ships = more 3rd party mission possibilities.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
There's nothing stopping people from making new prospective models and joining the team...

On the subject of BtRL stuff, since many of those assets are by Omni we can't officially port anything over as per agreements made.

Spoiler:
Of course unofficially you could do whatever you want...
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
To be honest I think we've intimidated people from joining. :p

It's not like we aren't clearly stating we want people to join.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I was rather impressed by KewlToys' Stealthstar. I do think that by revisiting the geometry/UV map, the model in question there could easily be recovered and put to good use. However, given the feedback... "intimidated people from joining" might be a pretty good way of putting things.

Furthermore, I note that with several projects I've seen, many teams seem to have serious aversions to cooperation with less experienced team members. Thus, less skilled individuals who would otherwise volunteer to contribute a portion of a good model don't do anything at all, or do something, and are then turned away after some element of their contribution falls short of expectations. Quality control and expectations are great things to have, but it's probably also true that you can have those things while working around the skillsets of those who would want to offer their services.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I was rather impressed by KewlToys' Stealthstar. I do think that by revisiting the geometry/UV map, the model in question there could easily be recovered and put to good use.

The simple fact there is that we already have a much better version than KewlToys one. But in general it's important for us to keep our standards high and although KewlToy's ship was good, it wasn't good enough. But if he keeps working at it, I'm sure he'll be good enough one day.

However, given the feedback... "intimidated people from joining" might be a pretty good way of putting things.

I was more on about the fact that many people feel we don't need more staff since we must have people if we were able to release. The simple fact is that about 1/3 of the total staff are active at any one time so we actually really could use more modellers, etc quite badly.

Furthermore, I note that with several projects I've seen, many teams seem to have serious aversions to cooperation with less experienced team members. Thus, less skilled individuals who would otherwise volunteer to contribute a portion of a good model don't do anything at all, or do something, and are then turned away after some element of their contribution falls short of expectations. Quality control and expectations are great things to have, but it's probably also true that you can have those things while working around the skillsets of those who would want to offer their services.

That's the main reason we only take on people who do have the talent.

We've tried taking on people who we hope can develop the skills we need in the past (both in Diaspora and in BtRL before that) and it's been met with limited success. What you probably haven't realised is that we take on large numbers of people who do have the talent we need and yet still can't manage to produce the models we need. Taking on people who don't even have the talent is a step too far. If they can't produce the work we need, if their work is going to have to be remodelled later anyway, why are we getting more talented team members to stop work on their assets to babysit someone whose work we can't even use?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Point taken! I'm not sure what else I might add to back up what I said before without repeating myself, either. However, I still do wish it was easier to collaborate with potential contributors - hopefully without slowing overall progress down.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think the best thing people can do is get involved with Diaspora modding. Of course the team will have to help there too but it means the modders have to be more independent, more focused. And once they start getting really good, we can go all TBP on them and assimilate them into the team.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Thaeris: one issue we've also had is very good modelers who stopped halfway through or stopped since they got bored with a project during the finalization process (things like debris, etc.). Quite a few very good ships from prospective people never saw the light of day because of this...
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

A lot of well made mods has receive great advantages from indimentent sub-modding, like Third age for Medieval (maybe you should open a post for sub modding to encourage it?)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:35:03 am by sedobren »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Define submodding ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

mods of a mod!
(usually little changes like different balacement, different model textures etc., that kind of tings that goes into the 3rd party stuff section)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
We... don't really make a difference here. I don't really see the need to ?

Also we do have a whole subboard dedicated to Diaspora modding, soooo...
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

yes i konw! anyway the point is: 3rd party contents keep a mod alive between "official" releases (and maybe reduce thei release time)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Oh, we strongly encourage 3rd party modders to get involved. As you can see, we're already working hard on encouraging FREDders to make new missions.

Offline Dain

What about some of the models here. While most of them have been used there are still a few exciting ones here that'd be fantastic to see in future releases. The refinery from Hand of God for example..

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=61616.0

Are some of these still likely to be used or have they been lost/decided to be no longer suitable?

Nice quote from back then too
Battlestar Theseus - (Concept by Starslayer and Scotchy. Model by Meleardil)
We're keeping this one under wraps for now. It looks pretty now, but it will look prettier when we do show it off.

Oh yes indeed.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:12:00 am by Dain »