Author Topic: Those old pics  (Read 5529 times)

Offline newman

Sometimes it may not be visible on the surface, but there's a lot more to getting a ship to game-ready status than just having it look pretty from a specific angle and lighting on a screenshot. The ships that were ready were released and the others, well.. that's the whole point of episodic releases.

The mark 2, for example, is an iconic ship to the show. It doesn't have a cockpit yet, I'll build it myself when time allows; but also, releasing the show's iconic fighter only to see it in multi would be kind of lame. So we decided to hold that one back until we have it 100% completed and can put it in a story where it makes sense to fly it without it feeling forced in just for the sake of it (which would have been the case if we used it on the Theseus in R1).

The Pegasus isn't much more than a placeholder. The model is old by today's standards (BtRL age, and it was a placeholder back then), and even if you found it nice in the old screenshots do remember you didn't really see it up close. It looks downright horrible from close range, and that's the least of it's problems so it's quite possible it'll get rebuilt from scratch so it's quality can match or surpass that of the Theseus.

The Colonial One I have to re-check, but it's possible we'll put it in R2 - but don't hold me to that just yet :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What about some of the models here. While most of them have been used there are still a few exciting ones here that'd be fantastic to see in future releases. The refinery from Hand of God for example..

The refinery is done but unless we want it floating in space, we've got very little we can do with it until we get someone to model an asteroid for it. That means dragging someone off an R2 task in order to make a model we have little use for without a completed MK II model to attack it which requires.....

And so you see the issue.

Frankly we'd rather concentrate on the ships we need for R2. If we have time, then we can worry about bonus stuff.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dain

Oh of course I fully appreciate that. Just wondering if the asset(s) were still in your hands to be used at SOME point in the future.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Anything you've seen in the Dev blog is still ours.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

a little (semi)OT: while look at those pictures i was wondering wich 3d modeling program you use.

Offline Frak_Tastic

• Giggity Giggity Fracker!
I for one am happy to NOT see the Monarch again so soon.  Hearing that old fart of a captain yelling to me about rocks hitting his ship drove me up the wall.

I was all like "Dude, you mine sh*t in an ASTEROID FIELD!  Those things ain't made out of paper mache! Learn how to fly, dingus!"

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
a little (semi)OT: while look at those pictures i was wondering wich 3d modeling program you use.

Whatever the artist in question prefers. Max seems to be predominant, while personally I use Modo and LightWave.

Offline newman

I for one am happy to NOT see the Monarch again so soon.  Hearing that old fart of a captain yelling to me about rocks hitting his ship drove me up the wall.

I was all like "Dude, you mine sh*t in an ASTEROID FIELD!  Those things ain't made out of paper mache! Learn how to fly, dingus!"

Who says we'll do the same thing with it, though? :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb