Author Topic: Is Diaspora opensource?  (Read 3872 times)

Offline GAdama

Is Diaspora opensource?
Hi guys, I wasn't really able to find the source code for Diaspora, only FS2Open. I read that the graphics/models/etc. are free to use under a free license, but I wasn't able to find anything about the source code. Is Diaspora open source?

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Re: Is Diaspora opensource?
FreeSpace Open and Diaspora share the same source code, and it's open in the sense that it is able to be shared non-commercially.
However, FreeSpace Open (and by extension, Diaspora) is not open source in the sense that it is not free for all uses.
This limits FreeSpace Open on some of its licensing, through no fault of the Source Code Project team.

Offline GAdama

Wow, I never knew that. So all the physics, even gliding were already in the original FS2 project? That's quite a coincidence that it fits nicely the BSG universe.
In that case, what do the programmers working on Diaspora do exactly?

And secondly, what are the restricted uses of FS2Open? Because plenty of open source project aren't free for all uses, specifically the widely used GPL licenses prohibit several uses.

Thank you for the info!

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
Wow, I never knew that. So all the physics, even gliding were already in the original FS2 project? That's quite a coincidence that it fits nicely the BSG universe.

And secondly, what are the restricted uses of FS2Open? Because plenty of open source project aren't free for all uses, specifically the widely used GPL licenses prohibit several uses.

Thank you for the info!
Diaspora is built on top of the FreeSpace Open engine. The programmers for Diaspora work to ensure that codes make their way into the FreeSpace Open engine.

I'll give you the copyright:
http://svn.icculus.org/*checkout*/fs2open/trunk/fs2_open/COPYING?revision=HEAD

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter

It's not entirely a coincidence.  Many of the developers of the Diaspora project work on other mods for FS2_Open, and had quite a bit of influence on what features were added and developed for the FS2_Open engine.  As it stands, FS2_Open (the game engine) is not open-source as defined by the OSI, but the source code is available for non-commercial use according to the terms under which Volition, Inc. released it.  The assets, of course, are also available free to use (I haven't looked into it much--are they Creative Commons?).
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
Here's the specific license, which is also non-free:

Can I use something from Diaspora in my game?

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, anything released by the Diaspora team is released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. This means that you can use anything you want (models, missions, backgrounds) in any way you wish, as long as you don't try to sell it and credit us for our work.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=56783.0

Offline GAdama

As it stands, FS2_Open (the game engine) is not open-source as defined by the OSI, but the source code is available for non-commercial use according to the terms under which Volition, Inc. released it.

As I read the license (http://svn.icculus.org/*checkout*/fs2open/trunk/fs2_open/COPYING?revision=HEAD) it seems to me actually more permissive than the GPL open source licenses. Maybe what you mean is that it's not a free-license in sense of copyleft? Or am I missing something?

The prohibition of commercial use is the problem, I think. The GPL is perfectly compatible with commercial use.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline GAdama

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
When it comes to Diaspora coders, we are basically FS2_Open coders who give a high priority to feature requests for Diaspora. We still have to follow all the rules for FS2_Open (one of the biggest being avoid breaking other mods and never write code that breaks FS2 itself)

As for the glide physics, they weren't actually in FS2, they were an addition by the SCP. They weren't even added for Diaspora in fact (I can't remember why they were added but I think it was for Wing Commander Saga or The Babylon Project). This sort of thing is actually a great example of how additions to the code that one project requests can end up becoming useful to other projects.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline GAdama

Oh, that's very interesting!

Could you direct me where I could find the coding feature requests for Diaspora?

Also, how do you code under those circumstances? I imagine testing if some change didn't screw something up in anyone of countless mods must be almost impossible.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well the actual feature requests we need is generally something we handle internally within the team or within the SCP itself if no one on the team can do it. If you're interested in coding for us, we definitely could always use another coder.

As for how to code, generally I use FS2 as the basis for most of my coding. If I can get something to work there and on Diaspora, then it's time to commit it to SVN (or get it code reviewed for big features) and see if anyone else complains.

Offline GAdama

While I don't have the time now, unfortunately, I think I would like to contribute in the future. So I wanted to take a look at what is being worked on, but I understand if you don't want to disclose it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:17:29 pm by GAdama »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well there isn't actually that much in the way of new code needed for R2 actually. General feature improvements and bug fixes is all we really need at the moment. Take a look at Mantis and check the Severity->Feature option to get an idea of the sort of things we'd like.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
FYI, the Mantis that Karajorma referred to is here: http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/my_view_page.php
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Damnit. I thought I had actually posted a link. :p

Offline GAdama

Thanks again!