Author Topic: War in Heaven Voice Acting — VICTORY IS LIFE!  (Read 113785 times)

Re: War in Heaven Voice Acting Death March
I am so happy that this is still alive. Life took me away from this for a long time. Joystick is still in a box somewhere. Already notified my Fiance that I will be vegging out here as soon as we're unpacked.

Somewhere is also a studio grade microphone. I now have a benefit of a small, quiet office for recording voices. Casting call probably already done, but if there are still scripts to be read, I may still be of assistance.

Need to log into GOG.com and download FS2 again.

In the end Battuta is the lord and master of this project so give him some time... it's going to be ready when battuta says it's ready! Personally i prefer to let him take his time and nail everything down perfectly (Now that i manged to calm down from the hype) and then experience the full thing in all of its glory instead of having to wait for "Fixes" later on.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
........is this alive?
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

I, too, would like to know the status of the voice acting.
I understand that this is a community effort and there are outside influences that can delay progress, but just a "yes, the project is alive" would be nice.

Cheers

Offline Aesaar

Yes, the project is alive.

:p

Awesome, thanks. Good to hear!
Waiting to play through WiH again until the voice acting, can't wait till its done!

Offline Luis Dias

Oh you can wait. :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
All the voice files are on my PC, the holdup is me processing them and getting them into SVN. I'm working on that now - Simms alone had 4gb of raw audio, and each line has dozens of takes that sometimes need to be stitched together into one master take, so it's an effort.

Unfortunately launching Destiny and my ~three-book contract~ eat up a lot of time. After audio engineering is done (Herra will do the final master), we need to finish some dreamscape tutorials for Act 3 and do a ton of playtesting and polishing.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Also I ended up forking out for some pretty passable acting so this may end up being one of HLP's Biggest Budget Projects!

Offline Luis Dias

:yes: Welcome back Wavtutta :)

Offline Myraseth

• Prime evidence of Murphy's Law
I wish I could help, but all roles are filled, and my mic is a headset mic. I've heard that's terrible for recording, even though it's good. Oh well. Maybe someone will someday use my weird accent and good acting skills for a mod.  :nono:
The only thing that matters is the goal. Your goal. Nothing and nobody will stand in my way to achieve what I deem necessary.
What about you?

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
It all depends on the quality of mic on the headset in all fairness. The downside with them is that they tend to be a bit sensitive and they will pick up background noise and white noise

Still, if you can get a nice still room and decent software, they could be quite adequate for non-professional recordings. I have a Creative HS950 USB headset (I think I got mine for £40), and in all fairness the quality is not that bad. If you have access to software to do some waveform editing, i.e Soundforge or Reason, you record your voice and put it through samplers and compressors which could eliminate unwanted noise whether that be white, background or earth hum, when configured correctly.
I do not feel... I think!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I did all my auditions with a headset microphone; just because it's not a professional microphone doesn't mean it's a bad one. That said, as you noted, all the roles here have been filled, but there are always projects that need voice actors.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
... well, I'd say that the voice itself can be pretty hard for voice acting... regardless of the set.

for example, I did a test on my laptops microphone, using windows recording application, in a calm room, nothing noisy going around, and tuned down the mic so its not bursting out, and did a test, using lines from the project I am working on.

Take 1
Take 2
Take 3

The effect went out terrible (as for me), so It's not all about mics themselves I think, some people might just not be cut for voice acting (no idea how this would work after modifications, or special recording programs, of which I have completely no knowledge at all)

Offline Luis Dias

That's an interesting accent and voice. It's not bad per se, but the quality of the mike is terrible. I think that if the quality was ok, it would probably be ok.

Offline Myraseth

• Prime evidence of Murphy's Law
Well, I had audacity downloaded, and heard that was pretty good. I also have kind of a southern accent, and a slight lisp with my Rs, because I originally spoke in an Italian accent. THeHound, different accents are what I'd look for in a mod. It doesn't seem right if everyone sounds the same, you know? That's why I wanted to do some VA for mods.
The only thing that matters is the goal. Your goal. Nothing and nobody will stand in my way to achieve what I deem necessary.
What about you?

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
THeHound, different accents are what I'd look for in a mod. It doesn't seem right if everyone sounds the same, you know?
-Well, I know, i know, thats rather obvious

So... its a shame that I don't have a proper equipment for VA, could record some lines for projects around.

Offline Bandoth

If you're looking for a budget VA setup, I recommend either the Blue Snowball or Blue Yeti microphones.  Just about $50 and $100 respectively on Amazon right now (in the US anyway).  I hear nothing but good things about these mics and am probably going to purchase the Yeti in the next couple of months.  One of my musician coworkers actually picked one up for recording on the road when he doesn't have his professional setup on hand.  Just note that these are desk mics that don't come with shock mounts, so you might pick up vibrations on your desk through the stand (tapping, keyboard, bumps, etc.) which is why I call it a VA setup.  There's a lot of DIY ways of solving this as well on the internet.

Pop filters are optional, but helpful if you're having trouble with plosives (T, K, or P types of sounds sometimes are rather explosive when recording).  These range from $10 to $35 on the cheap side depending on who makes it and what the mount is like.  I recommend testing your setup before buying one because it's not a problem for everybody.  Again, people have come up with cheap ways to make your own on the internet.

Audacity is definitely the right way to go if you're not doing this professionally.  Absolutely free and has some nice tools for making your auditions sound more professional even if you don't have a recording studio setup.

If you guys want, I can ask my coworker for more specific advice on recording and put it up in another thread.

Source: Recommendations from musician coworker, Google, and Youtube.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Regarding mic quality, I recorded all of orestes tactical, and my earth - brakiri war stuff on a four quid (£) play.com clip on microphone.

I just took my sweet time making sure used it properly.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

well I was going to try out for a role, but it appears that all the voices have already been picked. I cant wait to play war in heaven with voice acting.... its already so powerful with just the text. My parents once told me that I could go into voice acting, maybe I'll get a chance here sometime later.