Author Topic: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn Episode 1  (Read 93998 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn Episode 1
find the fs2_open.log in the data folder where you have WoD installed and post it here.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

So I got the Freespace SCP itch again and decided to see what was what. I'd remembered seeing the original Wings of Dawn mod years ago (never got the chance to play it though), and noticed this episodic remake so decided to try it.

My god, what did I miss? THis is a marvel. I never thought I'd see something like this done with FSOpen. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this episode, and I eagerly await any future releases.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline LoneFan

So I got the Freespace SCP itch again and decided to see what was what. I'd remembered seeing the original Wings of Dawn mod years ago (never got the chance to play it though), and noticed this episodic remake so decided to try it.

My god, what did I miss? THis is a marvel. I never thought I'd see something like this done with FSOpen. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this episode, and I eagerly await any future releases.

I've been thinking its time to update FS open. Custom WOD demonstrates a need for expansion of capabilities of the application. 

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Always great to hear when someone discovers and enjoys WoD!
Urutorahappī!!

Current FSO master is quite far ahead of the custom wod release build tbh. The only thing that hasn't been merged yet is multilock.

That said the custom dev builds used for EP2 are most  likely just current master with added multilock and shield effects.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline -Norbert-

The Visual Novel parts didn't need any customization in the build? I'm surprised.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Just multilock and extended bmpman slots, I believe the new shield code have been added already. Most of the visual novel technical bits is lua, its mostly the APNG code that has been added to the trunk recently.
I'd be nice if multilock would go into trunk some time (and if someone could finally fix the heatseeker/cm bug...)
Urutorahappī!!

Hello! Error over here:
'Failed to Set Graphic Mode'
Then a plethora of various issues popup.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Heya,
Unforunately that error alone doesn't tell me a whole lot. Torchwood told me on irc that it might be caused by trying to run the game in software mode. Is the graphics set to OpenGL in the video tab of the launcher?

What are your machine's specs? What kind of gpu/cpu etc.
If you are trying to run the game on a laptop with two graphic chips, then this error might be caused by your laptop trying to run the game without the dedicated gpu enabled.

In short, we'll need more info to help you out!
Urutorahappī!!

Offline crizza

Just started playing...
First impüression is pretty neat, but having the controls differently than original FS2 is odd, but since I'm to lazy to change this, well :D

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
If you want it back to normal controls you just need to click Defaults in the Control Config screen, or accept the training mission to see what does what in the WoD scheme. You wouldn't be left in the dark running with the new scheme.

Offline crizza

It's ok, I'm coping just fine.
But why did I fail M6 where you get ambushed by the pointy ears?
Should I let myself get wrecked, 'cause I trashed those two girls, Tempest wants to follow them, I hit subspace and then it says mission failed :D

All in all, great fun.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Is the mission directive to jump displayed when you leave?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It's ok, I'm coping just fine.
But why did I fail M6 where you get ambushed by the pointy ears?
Should I let myself get wrecked, 'cause I trashed those two girls, Tempest wants to follow them, I hit subspace and then it says mission failed :D

All in all, great fun.
Glad you are enjoying it.

That's a known bug that you're running into, an elusive one that neither I or Axem were able to reproduce. You are suppose to do a ingame jump at that point, but the game somehow thinks you are actually jumping out and gives you a mission failed.
Hopefully it doesn't always happen and you'll be able to progress on a retry.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline crizza

Worked on a retry but shame there are no more missions as of now :D
And those Space elf ships are getting blown up pretty easy if you manage to get behind them :D

As does pretty much everything else. LDRPs and VK01Ns are real good at blowing **** up.
Though if you're finding the game too easy on insane... I can give you a set of tables that beef up the AI classes and removes all "unfairness"(no more reduced damage taken by the player, no turn or firerate restrictions for AI ships, no more limit on how many missiles or turrets can target you).
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline LoneFan

As does pretty much everything else. LDRPs and VK01Ns are real good at blowing **** up.
Though if you're finding the game too easy on insane... I can give you a set of tables that beef up the AI classes and removes all "unfairness"(no more reduced damage taken by the player, no turn or firerate restrictions for AI ships, no more limit on how many missiles or turrets can target you).
WOOT
Challenge mode on.

Well... you asked for it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vs4w1ytpv3m2uqx/AAWod-Harder.vp
Stick this in your WoD folder. Note that it will only make a difference on insane but you should be able to see the difference as soon as you change the difficulty in the options.

And while I'm in a sharing mood I also tabled radaricons for most WoD ships. The tables reference BirdofPrey's radaricons which are provided in the VP. Might help with some of the more frantic moments as they help distinguish active threats from faraway capships or bombers.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/z2naz39ysu2kaup/AAWod-Radar.vp

From what I remember of my initial comments playing Episode 1, the missions and aesthetics were stellar as usual. Some of the missions, the asteroid one in particular, were very much designed with multiple playthroughs in mind. I'm kind of torn on those missions because while they have a ton of depth, I hate feeling overwhelmed with new mechanics. It keeps things fresh, but again, I'm split on it.

The only story comments I have were that the story seems to be a slower burn this time, which is great for setting the tone and pacing, bad for someone impatient like me who wants to know how a story ends. :P But obviously a lot of thought and love went into the characters, world, and the ships.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yeah, those are very legitimate points and I'm going to try my best to adress them.
Urutorahappī!!