Author Topic: FIX - Karunas self-destructing, making some missions unplayable  (Read 12073 times)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Re: FIX - Karunas self-destructing, making some missions unplayable
Using the POF linked in the first post, I have no glowpoints or nameplates on any Karuna.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Eurgh. You are using the version currently linked, right? I changed it earlier today because this damn cursed POF eludes all attempts to fix it.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

And lo, Aesaar descended from the mountain, and declared: "Oh for ****'s sake."  And for days, he grappled with the Karuna, but for every problem he fixed, a new one grew in its place!

New, more fixed version.

Glowpoints and nameplate should now work (edit: nope!).  Cause of problems: glowpoint radii set to 0, misnamed nameplate texture (edit: no, it turns out it's worse than that)

EDIT: use link in first post.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:39:02 am by Aesaar »

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Glowpoints yay, nameplates nay.

Nameplates don't show up with the latest linked POF. Seems like the texture replacement feature doesn't like you adding the -trans suffix to the nameplate and uefeagle textures. If I remove the -trans, the nameplates show up, but it makes the whole nameplate around the text a see-trough whole in the ship.

Or do I need to us a specific build? I'm currently using 3.6.14 RC2
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline Aesaar

EDIT: Wait, yes I do.  I think that when someone was rigging the original pof, they didn't set up the parent relationship properly.  If that's the case, it's out of my hands.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:15:32 pm by Aesaar »

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Glowpoints yay, nameplates nay.

Well, it's not a very elegant solution, but it works:
But then the debug build said two textures where missing: altan_orde-trans and uefeagle2-trans. So I went into bp2-visual1.vp, extracted altan_orde.dds and eaglelogo.dds, made a copy of those, renamed them altan_orde-trans.dds and uefeagle2-trans.dds and put them in the /maps folder.

And the centrifuge is rotating again, thanks Aessar!

i should probably change the "FIX" in the topic to "bug exchange"
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
But then the debug build said two textures where missing: altan_orde-trans and uefeagle2-trans. So I went into bp2-visual1.vp, extracted altan_orde.dds and eaglelogo.dds, made a copy of those, renamed them altan_orde-trans.dds and uefeagle2-trans.dds and put them in the /maps folder.

And do the name plates show up ingame for you? I tried this, but still no luck.
A debug build is complaining that it cannot find "nameplate-trans". If I put a dummy file with that name in the maps folder, the message doesn't pop up, but still no nameplates are working. I guess the texture replacement in FRED is specifically referencing the nameplate textures without the -trans suffix.

But strangely, it's working with the eagle logo... I don't understand what's different with that?

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships

And do the name plates show up ingame for you? I tried this, but still no luck.
A debug build is complaining that it cannot find "nameplate-trans". If I put a dummy file with that name in the maps folder, the message doesn't pop up, but still no nameplates are working. I guess the texture replacement in FRED is specifically referencing the nameplate textures without the -trans suffix.

But strangely, it's working with the eagle logo... I don't understand what's different with that?
That used to work, but now that you mention it I looked at it and it doesn't work anymore. The last pof has the nameplate texture's name changed. To remedy this, take eaglelogo.dds, make a copy, change name to nameplate-trans.dds and it will work.

EDIT: the original textures didn't have the -trans part in the names, so the nameplates won't work without a new texture file (that's why I extracted them from the vp and changed the names manually). You can't solve it by editing the pof AFAIK.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 02:41:13 pm by The Dagger »

Offline Aesaar

I'm pretty certain the problem is with the way the model hierarchy is set up.  If it was set up properly, the -trans suffix for the texture wouldn't be necessary, and removing it wouldn't make a hole.  Specifically, the problem is that the nameplate subobject is just called "nameplates".  It should have been called "detail0-trans" before importing to PCS2.  Renaming after import doesn't work.

AFAIK, it isn't a problem that can be resolved in PCS2, and I'm not about to convert the model back to .dae, re-rig it , and rebuild the .pof unless the team asks me to.  I'm told they have a working version anyway.

can we please have it

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah I think so, if I had SVN access I'd post it.

How in god's name do you not have SVN access.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Having svn access at home does not mean one has svn access at work.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Darius

I've uploaded the current svn version that should have everything working.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5jodr4hc86dhekr

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
How in god's name do you not have SVN access.

I'm spending the weekend at a friend's place.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I've uploaded the current svn version that should have everything working.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5jodr4hc86dhekr

Thanks :) I take it, this POF is meant for more recent builds which support deferred lighting? Because there is more data in the properties field, like this:

$glow_texture=red_glow;$glow_radius_multi=25.0;$glow_color=255,47,47

3.6.14 RC builds don't seem to like this, and show no glowpoints instead.

Offline Darius

Ah, yes...please use recent builds if you can.

Offline Aesaar

Darius: 1) Many thanks for the fix.

2) There's more recent than 3.6.14 RC9?

If it isn't too much trouble, could you release the build the team is using (and the shaders files)? :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:41:41 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Darius

Actually, I hear glowpoint properties are going to be tabled.

I'll go through and take out the extra glowpoint properties.