Author Topic: Multi-player for 1 - learn to fly - with AI (can't see any AI)  (Read 1901 times)

Offline RedHed

Multi-player for 1 - learn to fly - with AI (can't see any AI)
I managed to get a game going locally where I can learn to fly around asteroids which is great for a beginner like myself.  But how can I have AI as well with the asteroid modes.  The briefing said there were AI and then showed the screen with myself and my team of AI and the other team.  Ships and weapon load outs.   But once in game there were no AI, just me and asteroids.  great to learn to fly,  but I was curious how to have AI as well to shoot at once I can aim at something a little smaller than an asteroid....  which with my first ever HOTAS (Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X) is harder than I thought it would be.

Not really multiplayer as in playing against real players, so I posted this in tech help.

Installed the game on Win7/64, then all the patches up to latest as listed in 'general'.
Intel i5 2500k
16GB Ram
GPU NV GTX 670
Xonar Sound Card

Thanks in advance.

-Jonny

Also, a minor thing, the launcher UI seems a bit screwed up on my large TV.  Some of the basic and advanced options like check boxes are hard to get at and I needed to alt+tab  and then hit space to tick them.  1080p, DPI standard.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:18:25 pm by RedHed »

Offline RedHed

Re: Multi-player for 1 - learn to fly - with AI (can't see any AI)
Have I asked a dumb question here.   I'm not sure how to get practise AI up in a 1 person multiplayer local game.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Is there a gauntlet mission anywhere in the multiplayer mission list?

Offline RedHed

Is there a gauntlet mission anywhere in the multiplayer mission list?

When I try the asteroid ones, the briefing says there are teams and then the next screen shows me with other AI on my team, and then the other team with AI next to those ships.   Is there something else I need to do at that point to get the AI in-game.  Because when I start the game there are none to target. Just an asteroid field.   Its good for me to learn to use my cheap HOTAS,  but no AI anywhere to be seen.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:11:26 am by RedHed »

Offline RedHed

Actually no,  nothing saying gauntlet mission.

I don't seem to be able to get any AI up.

Could someone be kind enough to give me some step by step instructions please.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If Diaspora didn't ship with any gauntlet missions, then you will either need to make your own or find a fan-made gauntlet. Or you can just play the single player campaign on the lowest difficulty, which is full of stuff to navigate around and plenty of angry AI.

Offline RedHed

So you can't get AI up in a 1 person multiplayer game.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You can, but the mission needs to be setup correctly to do so.  i.e. the player can't add AI to a mission, the mission designer needs to add AI to the mission.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
So you can't get AI up in a 1 person multiplayer game.

As niffiwan said, you can, it just needs to be a 1 person multiplayer game on a gauntlet mission. Diaspora doesn't ship with any.

Offline RedHed

Ah I see now, thank you.

Can you recommend any good gauntlet missions I can use for 1 player vs AI multiplayer.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
There may be fan-made gauntlet missions for Diaspora, or you could play FreeSpace 2 and try out one of its gauntlets - but the flight model is very different.

Offline RedHed

Ok, understood.   Thanks for the reply.