Author Topic: Freespace 2 SCP Crashing at Splash Screen  (Read 2967 times)

Freespace 2 SCP Crashing at Splash Screen
Hi, I hope this is the right forum and all that. I recently installed FS2:SCP, but it's not working so hot. I get to the splash screen when I run it, either from the launcher of by double clicking the .exe: the music plays, but nothing happens until I hit ESC. Then it crashes. Here's all the pertinent information, as far as I know:

SCP Executable: The one linked to first from here; Goober's 6 - 11 - 04 build. Both fs2_open_r and fs2_open_d crash.

Command lines I'm using: None. I had a bunch but I got rid of them to see if those were the problem but it still crashes.

Debug spew: It's tough to get this since it just crashes every time. I can't alt-tab or anything like that.

Contact info: Uh, my AIM's tychocelchu84 and my email is tychocelchuuu @ gmail.com. If anyone feels like contacting me. Which I doubt they will.

I'm not expecting personalized support or anything; I'm just wondering if there's something obvious I did wrong or anything like that. Thanks in advance for the help!

Er, heh. Forgot the system specs and I can't find the edit button.

Pentium 4 2.6GHz 800MHz FSB
Radeon 9600 with close to new drivers. Catalysts.
A gig of ram
Some generic sound card
Windows XP Pro

Edit: Found the edit button :lol:

Offline Fenrir

• ?
...Do you happen to have any of the media .vp files installed? You have to at least have mv_core installed if you want it to work any. Perhaps a more recent build would be helpful, too. I'd try the 3.6.5 release just to start.

I've got mv_core along with a bunch of others (the zpack, or whatever it's called). I'll try 3.6.5; thanks for the tip.

Edit: 3.6.5 did not work; the same thing happens.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 08:07:10 pm by 2934 »

Offline Kie99

I know it will probably seem obvious

but

Did you use the Launcher?
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
6-11-04? :eek: Yeesh, try a more recent build.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
yea.  thats well before 3.6.5.  were we still on 361 then?

latest build is here:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,33890.0.html
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Hornet

Uhh heres a dumbass question

Did you patch your FS2 to 1.2 before you installed the SCP?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's not that silly. I've seen it cause problems before in fact :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by Hornet
Uhh heres a dumbass question

Did you patch your FS2 to 1.2 before you installed the SCP?

Ahaha, whoops. That was pretty stupid. Incidentally, that's probably also my problem. It's nice to have people catch my mistakes when I act like a moron :D

Thanks everyone. If patching doesn't work, I'm not sure what will, but it seems like a pretty obvious thing to try. Heh.

Edit: Well, the patch won't work. It says "Old File not found" and some other stuff. Maybe I'll go back to trying to get X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter to work.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 12:28:34 pm by 2934 »

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
tycho: install normal fs2 retail
patch
install fs2 open
install media vps
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Guys, where are your manners?

Gunnery Control, power up welcome beam cannons.  Target TychoCelchuuu, and Fire!
:welcome:
Welcome to HLP.  Exits are to the sides and rear.  In the event of an emergency, your seat can be used as an emergency floatation device and there are flamethrowers in the footlockers in front of you.  (I should probably take the to mention that we're out of napalm, so you'll have to use the flamethrower as a kudgel; and quite frankly, no one is quite sure why you'd need a floatation device in deep space)

In the event of true catastrophy, defined as the apocalypse, assault on the forum by alien life, or FS3 (in that order), there are plasma rifles and heavy munitions in the lockers up front; these can be opened only by the admins, :v:, God, or a hyperintelligent shade of the color blue.

If you encounted a strange, red, five-limbed creature while exploring the ventillation system, set down your lunch and back away slowly.  If you're lucky, it's only Carl, our resident Shivan, and he responds well to food rewards.  If you're not so fortunate, you can expect to get atomized by a plasma beam or worse: dragged into a politics or religion thread.

Enjoy your stay!

So yeah, install the patches before you try to get the rest of that in there.    Try a more recent build, and try doing things in order, and you should be ok.  Oh, and out of curiosity, where did you get your FS2 install?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 01:18:11 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Kazan
tycho: install normal fs2 retail
patch
install fs2 open
install media vps

And try using this build if whatever one you're using doesn't work.
-C

Offline Steel

• http://www.rlgaming.com
yes - you are going to need to start over...  uninstall everything and the reinstall in the order posted above.
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Stop, Look, and Listen

XO, Wings of Fury
http://www.wings-of-fury.com

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Not really. The only thing that the 1.2 patch installs that is of any importance to a FS2_Open install is the changes it makes to Root_FS2.vp AFAIK.

You can get that file in the HotU crack pack from my FAQ so simply copying it over to your Freespace2 folder should be enough.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]