Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 307548 times)

Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Without zombies in popular culture, you wouldn't know that there's no cure, or that it's not simply madness making your mom act weird and bitey. So for each zombie, you'd need to convince yourself that there truly was no cure, and that your loved one was truly already gone forever, even though it looks and sounds and moves like a real human.
So yeah, it'd be hard, unless you knew for a fact that it was the only solution.

even though it looks and sounds and moves like a real human.

OK, it depends on the type of zombie. On The Walking Dead, zombies look and behave like rotting, mindless corpses, sometimes with body parts missing or guts spilling out. Certain characters can't bring themselves to kill zombies, and I find it hard to swallow.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Even if it wasn't a zombie. Anyone comes at me full tilt.  I'm putting them down.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Zombies, at least Romero-style ones, are inherently frightening because they trigger a response in our brain that says "this is not a human; it is pretending to be one"; the response of a prey species perceiving a disguised predator, still wired into us though we haven't used it a long time. It is extremely unlikely a human being would have any difficulty killing one because their biology is literally screaming "THREAT" at them.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Law & Order: The Best Of Ed Green.

*suspect flees, stops for no obvious reason, looks back*

"GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE, STUPID!"

*camera goes to short focus, shows a barbed wire fence*

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Short focus being narrow depth of field?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Just watched both seasons of Tokyo Ghoul and just watched the latest episode of Macross Delta. I'm really starting to notice the size inconsistency in the new show. I really dislike the Macross Quater style ships but for some reason making the new one's ARMD's and how they portray it be allot larger for some reason alleviates this.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
I've regressed enough to watch anime again at this point. Berserk. It's so ****ing good.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Started watching Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash last night. I've never seen a basic goblin given so much character.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
"You may believe, that you have to DIE, before the judgement comes. But I say the FIRE, is not around corner. THE FIRE, IS NOT AWAITING. THE FIRE IS NOT A'WALTZING. THE FIRE, has already come. As we mortals drink, gamble, and fornicate through this world, DEATH TO HELL'S BELLS THUNDERING TOLL, THE CLOCK OF DAMNATION'S ALREADY STRUCK MIDNIGHT! We're cooked, DONE! Stick a fork in the ASS OF THE HUMAN RACE AND TURN US OVER ON SATAN'S SPIT! Because we all, are not GOING to hell, as surely as we stand in Las Vegas, Nevada, I say, we are in hell...now."

Original CSI, Season 8, Episode 3. "Go to Hell." My second favorite moment of the series, where they open on a Baptist preacher. (That must be a tough job in Vegas.)

The first was way back in Season 1, and much quieter. Just Grissom getting on the rollercoaster as a method cleansing after a bad case.

A Feddie Story

Haven't been updating the thread, but still M Delta. Sticking with it out of... i dunno, hope I guess.

I posted some info there. Just in case, If you didn't notice it.

I posted some info there. Just in case, If you didn't notice it.

Yep I saw, just didn't have anything I wanted to add. Other than "why the hell would you prop up your culture's equivalent to Satan inside your castle" but I suppose the USS Pueblo is also a thing.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
:bump:

Okay. The new TV season has started, and one of the new shows is really promising.

It's called "Westworld", and is based on the 1973 film of the same name. The original film was an entertaining, but not too deep affair; Ultimately, it was based on a scenario where the animatronics in a theme park glitch out and start to kill the guests. It featured Yul Brenner as the iconic gunslinger, a robot designed to engage park guests in gun duels and lose to them, who over the course of this movie becomes a Terminator-like figure.

The TV series is a very different animal. Produced by the same team as Person of Interest, it is on a very good track to become one of the best SF shows on the telly right now. Unlike the film, the park visitors do not really play a role in this show; the real drama is centered around Evan Rachel Wood's Dolores (the oldest AI running), Jeffrey Wright's Bernard (Westworld's chief programmer), Anthony Hopkins' Ford (Westworld's creative director), and Ed Harris' Man In Black (The scariest mother****er in the show, later more on him).

(Story spoilers in this section)
Spoiler:
The pilot episode does spend a lot of its 60 minute runtime (this is an HBO show, so no 42-minutes-is-an-hour bull**** here) setting up the rules of the park. AI NPCs (called Hosts) are programmed to be unable to hurt a fly (there's a great visual early on where Dolores is waiting in one of the Host maintenance areas for a diagnostic, and a fly crawls across her eyes without provoking a reaction), and each have a bunch of storylines attached to them that they can play back on demand (Like the town sheriff, who waits at the train station to recruit people for a bandit hunt in the hills; All he needs to complete the picture is a floating exclamation mark above his head). As usual, everything seems fine at first; the admin team is currently in the middle of a patch rollout that would improve the lifelikeness of the Hosts (over the objections of the head writer, who thinks that a bit of artificiality and uncanny valley is actually a good thing) when problems start to appear. Some of the hosts start glitching out; Dolores' 'father' (played enormously well by Louis Herthum, a guy you can't remember but almost certainly have seen in other TV shows before) finds a photograph of one of the guests in a modern city and is unable to process it, the sheriff has an unscheduled epileptic attack, a robbery scene in which two host bandits have a falling out that ends in one of them dead ends with the wrong one dead, that sort of thing. A decision is made to recall the patched hosts and revert them to earlier builds, which leads to the admin team having to run a massive bandit attack on the town which easily rates as one of the best action scenes in recent memory.

In the midst of all this, Ed Harris' Man In Black makes an appearance. He first shows up in a scene featuring such a great reversal of audience expectations that I won't spoil it even here. He is presented as a sort of primordial evil, and it is here that the show really grabbed my attention. You see, back in 1973, we didn't have the vocabulary to describe his role in this, as there is no equivalent to it in a theme park setting. However, there is one in modern MMOs: He's the sort of guy who has played the game since the first public betas, who has done all the storylines and quests dozens of times, and has become a sort of super beta tester looking for the holes and glitches in the game on the assumption that one of them might lead him to a new storyline.

Oh, I should probably talk a bit about production values too. They're great. Westworld itself looks like you expect a Hollywood western town to look to a T and is sharply contrasted with the glass and gloss of the admin areas, all Apple-chic and modern, the soundtrack is being handled by Ramin Djawadi and his usual greatness (There's a theme here where some scenes are scored using modern music as played by the spaghetti western orchestra; a version of Black Hole Sun played on an automatic piano starts this, and it culminates in a massive shootout scored to a westernified version of Paint It Black). Acting is also uniformly good; There's a scene between Anthony Hopkins and Louis Herthum that is absolutely riveting to watch, and Evan Rachel Wood does a really impressive job in making Dolores (who is designed to be the generic good girl of westerns) one of the most interesting characters in the piece.

So yeah. TL;DR: Westworld is very good. Go watch it, and hope that it continues Johnathan Nolan's run as the guy doing the best TV SF.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Produced by the same team as Person of Interest
okay I just started paying attention

* AdmiralRalwood reads the whole post

Okay, putting Westworld on my "to watch" list...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah, I saw a trailer for it a while back and was very interested but I didn't realise it was already on.

Added.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

One Punch Man was quite alright.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I finished Macross Delta. Is it me or did they rush the ending? Loads of open plot points and characters with lacking development. I'm going to start watching S2 of IBO once a few more episodes are out, that and I keep forgetting to watch the rest of VOTOM's and GaoGaiGar. I need to nail those.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
One Punch Man was quite alright.
Saitama is pretty much my spirit animal.  Like, if someone dumped a ridiculously-overpowered skillset into my lap and set me loose, I would have the exact same level of aggressive ennui that he exhibits.  It's magical.

(Also The E's glowing review makes me wish I could manage to get invested in live-action TV series, because that actually sounds pretty damn cool.)