Author Topic: House of The Dying Sun  (Read 8079 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
House of The Dying Sun
http://houseofthedyingsun.com/

Spacesim directly inspired by Tie Fighter and Freespace.

Supports gamepads, Mouse and Keyboard and joysticks, contrary to what it's written on the main FAQ.

Also for some reason the developer seemed somewhat reluctant to admit you could play the game with a HOTAS.   :nervous:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 06:05:18 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Re: House of The Dying Sun
Fix your Youtube embed!

Trailer is awesome, game looks awesome.

Also for some reason the developer seemed somewhat reluctant to admit you could play the game with a HOTAS.   :nervous:

E:D and Star Citizen have a lot of dogma going around that buying a HOTAS is fundamentally necessary to truly enjoy a space sim, I think he was just trying to make sure nobody wasted a ton of money on the basis of bad info.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Fix your Youtube embed!

Trailer is awesome, game looks awesome.

E:D and Star Citizen have a lot of dogma going around that buying a HOTAS is fundamentally necessary to truly enjoy a space sim, I think he was just trying to make sure nobody wasted a ton of money on the basis of bad info.
Fixed!

regarding the rest, I was referring to an earlier post on the blog:

"Better joystick support. There's no need to worry about config files anymore, and I've gotten my hands on an X-52 to test. I personally don't like playing the game like this, and the it still feels like it's made for gamepads (because it was). But if you want to play with one of these beasts, you should be able to bind things easily enough in game."

It's just feels off for someone who is making a game inspired by Tie Fighter and Freespace to dismiss joysticks like an afterthought, considering that at the time cheap 2/4 button joysticks were easy to find and common enough so that essentially many blockbuster games for PC were made mainly with them in mind.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
That breed of joystick is dead, though, and with it the common ownership of one. It makes sense not to cater as heavily to the joystick crowd when you make a new space sim now.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
That breed of joystick is dead, though, and with it the common ownership of one. It makes sense not to cater as heavily to the joystick crowd when you make a new space sim now.
Not catering to the joystick crowd is a thing, writing the requirements in a way that might be misinterpreted as the game not supporting joysticks at all is another.

I'm all for making spacesims with mouse and keyboard or gamepad support, but it's not like all the HOTAS articles written by misinformed journalists (most sites essentially ignored the cheapest entry level solutions and went with the most expensive Saitek and Thrustmaster stuff) have swayed the Elite: Dangerous players that use gamepads or mouse and keyboards.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:46:34 pm by Det. Bullock »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It will forever be called Enemy Starfighter in our hearts.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm doin a little writing for this

If it was made for gamepads how are they planning on having the number of keybinds necessary for these big battles and all the command stuff? Lots and lots of radial menus?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Or maybe some modal controls?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
If it was made for gamepads how are they planning on having the number of keybinds necessary for these big battles and all the command stuff? Lots and lots of radial menus?

Everything fits nicely on the controller. There's a radial targeting menu w/bullet time but I've only wanted to use it a couple times.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Strike Suit Zero taught me that you can have a space sim (or at least space shooter) that plays perfectly awesome on a controller. I'm quite certain my dual-joystick setup will be massive overkill.

Well, yeah, but SSZ was quite... simplistic tbh. Compared to Freespace or Tie Fighter it really was more of a shooter than a "sim". And I even play Freespace on a gamepad, but I obviously need to take my hands off it to use all the advanced targeting, ETS, or wingmate controls. As far as core flight controls go there's nothing wrong with a pad(although SSZ also implemented very generous autoaim to make it easier).
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Kszyhu

BSG sound design, Homeworld aesthetics... might be interesting.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
BSG sound design, Homeworld aesthetics... might be interesting.

It's fun as hell, the flight model's really good.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Oh mother, tell your children
Not to do what I have done
Spend your lives in sin and misery
In the House of the Dying Sun
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I thought this looked familiar, glad to see it's going to see a release! I'm also digging the new title.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Does it have TrackIR support? How many controllers does it support?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

I don't know about TrackIR but the beta has multiple controller support, being early access they are adding stuff as they go along.

Though considering it has VR support out of the box it's likely it has trackIR support as well.

It's the reason Why I haven't bought it yet, while the core game is complete they are still tweaking stuff.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:29:42 am by Det. Bullock »

TrackIR is supported, I'm using it loads.

The Beta branch supports 3 controllers, not including M+KB. It's safe to assume that's going to be in the gold release.