Author Topic: RELEASE Guardian Of Light DEMO 2 (Updated 18-04-14)  (Read 38290 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: RELEASE Guardian Of Light DEMO 2 and plot discussion (INFERNO build required)
If your getting warnings with 3.6.12 and Zathras please post what they are.  Since you already ran a debug build post the fs2_open.log from that as well.  You should not be getting any warnings with Zathras 2.0 and 3.6.12.  If they are there we need to know so we can determine if it's mission specific or something with TBP or Zathras. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

Re: RELEASE Guardian Of Light DEMO 2 and plot discussion (INFERNO build required)
"r" stands for "release" (I think)
"d" is for "debug"

Dont use the debug version.

Thank's for clearing that up! There should be some more information included with these releases...

Thats not a bug, but a feature. In Real Life the same object can appear differently coloured depending on the surrounding lightning.

I had suspected as much but I don't know if this was really intended in that level. There is no red nebula or sun around that could cause the red lighting and having normally green ships appear red without explanation is just weird! So where is that parameter set for the mission? Can it be accessed via FRED or changed by editing the fs2 file? I already changed the red power beam of the one Vorlon ship cutscene to the real Vorlon power beam. 

Offline wesp5

If your getting warnings with 3.6.12 and Zathras please post what they are.  Since you already ran a debug build post the fs2_open.log from that as well.

Okay, after using a 3.6.9INF pilot with 3.6.12dINF and Zathras 2.0, I didn't get any warnings with the Vorlon campaign any more, but when testing MAG's Twilight Struggle I get:

Unknown flag2 in mission file: no-bank

<no module>! KiFastSystemCallRet
<no module>! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
<no module>! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
<no module>! Warning + 430 bytes
<no module>! parse_object + 3105 bytes
<no module>! parse_objects + 192 bytes
<no module>! parse_mission + 505 bytes
<no module>! parse_main + 449 bytes
<no module>! mission_load + 215 bytes
<no module>! game_start_mission + 198 bytes
<no module>! game_enter_state + 482 bytes
<no module>! gameseq_set_state + 310 bytes
<no module>! game_process_event + 242 bytes
<no module>! gameseq_process_events + 152 bytes
<no module>! game_main + 782 bytes
<no module>! WinMain + 330 bytes
<no module>! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
<no module>! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
<no module>! RegisterWaitForInputIdle + 73 bytes

When starting the launcher a second time I get directly on startup:

Starfield bitmap 'xparent' already listed as a xparentxparent bitmap!!  Only using the xparent version!
<no module>! parse_startbl + 476 bytes
<no module>! parse_modular_table + 267 bytes
<no module>! stars_init + 82 bytes
<no module>! game_init + 1998 bytes
<no module>! game_main + 519 bytes

After turning Zathras off I get:

An ai profile named 'FS2 RETAIL' already exists!  The new one will not be created.

<no module>! parse_ai_profiles_tbl + 510 bytes
<no module>! ai_profiles_init + 110 bytes
<no module>! game_init + 1910 bytes
<no module>! game_main + 519 bytes

I get similar warnings with several of MAG's Star Fury pilot missions while all of them are fine with 3.6.9. Looking at the logs I think most of them are connected to the missions themselves and I could fix them with my patch, but why is 3.6.12 so incompatible? Even after cloning a pilot in 3.6.12d_INF the Battle of the line crashes with:

Malloc Failed!

<no module>! CreateThread + 30 bytes
<no module>! SCP_DumpStack + 278 bytes
<no module>! Error + 229 bytes
<no module>! _vm_malloc + 121 bytes
<no module>! ds_load_buffer + 774 bytes
<no module>! snd_load + 1016 bytes
<no module>! message_load_wave + 199 bytes
<no module>! message_pagein_mission_messages + 175 bytes
<no module>! level_page_in + 171 bytes
<no module>! freespace_mission_load_stuff + 206 bytes
<no module>! game_post_level_init + 182 bytes
<no module>! game_start_mission + 387 bytes
<no module>! game_enter_state + 482 bytes
<no module>! gameseq_set_state + 310 bytes
<no module>! game_process_event + 242 bytes
<no module>! gameseq_process_events + 152 bytes
<no module>! game_main + 782 bytes

Also I noticed that in the Vorlon campaign the first level is stuttering much more than with the 3.6.9 inferno build and that in Twilight Struggle whenever a Narn cruiser explodes black squares are visible around the explosions.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
3.6.12 is much more stable and safe than 3.6.9 or 3.6.10, and as a result it will complain about unsafe behaviors which earlier builds did not catch.

Not sure if that is the problem here though.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
If your getting warnings with 3.6.12 and Zathras please post what they are.  Since you already ran a debug build post the fs2_open.log from that as well.

Okay, after using a 3.6.9INF pilot with 3.6.12dINF and Zathras 2.0, I didn't get any warnings with the Vorlon campaign any more, but when testing MAG's Twilight Struggle I get:

Have to look into this one.  First I've heard of it.  Could be something that was in the code at one point and changed or removed.

When starting the launcher a second time I get directly on startup:

Starfield bitmap 'xparent' already listed as a xparentxparent bitmap!!  Only using the xparent version!
After turning Zathras off I get:
Not sure what you mean by running the launcher a second time.  You should only open the launcher once and use that to run the game. 

An ai profile named 'FS2 RETAIL' already exists!  The new one will not be created.

Which is fixed in Zathras that's why it's needed for newer builds

I get similar warnings with several of MAG's Star Fury pilot missions while all of them are fine with 3.6.9. Looking at the logs I think most of them are connected to the missions themselves and I could fix them with my patch, but why is 3.6.12 so incompatible? Even after cloning a pilot in 3.6.12d_INF the Battle of the line crashes with:

Malloc Failed!

The malloc failed one in BOTL is some kind of issue with the sound file.  I have a bug report filed on that.

Also I noticed that in the Vorlon campaign the first level is stuttering much more than with the 3.6.9 inferno build and that in Twilight Struggle whenever a Narn cruiser explodes black squares are visible around the explosions.

These are most likely driver related.  Make sure your video drivers are up to date.  What video card do you have?  And here again is where the fs2_open.log would help. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline wesp5

I started all of the Star Fury missions with 6.9.12d_INF and Zathras 2.0 and I get these warnings:

Babylon 5 A N F A W.fs2
Babylon 5 Severed dreams.fs2
Babylon 5 T L T S.fs2

- Removing the flag line fixed these issues for all three missions! In the last one I get then:

AI Class for ship Shadow Battlecrab x does not exist in ai.tbl. Setting to first available class.

- I fixed this by replacing all occasions of Minbari Pilot with EA Pilot, afterwards no errors.

Babylon 5 A V F T G.fs2
Error: Missing required token: [$Ships:]. Found [$Arrival Cue: ( has-arrived-dela]  instead.

- I produced this bug when fixing the breaching pods, 3.6.12 is less forgiving here, fixed!

Babylon 5 In The Begining.fs2
Ship 'Support Ship Minbari' does not have subsystem 'engine' linked into the model file, 'lintira.pof'.

- Can't explain this from the fs2, no support ships and no lintira.pof mentioned there...

Babylon 5 Shadow Dancing.fs2
Ship "Biacc", class "BI Avioki"
Unknown subsystem "turret01" found in mission!

- Another bug I produced by swapping ships which 3.6.9 tolerated. After fixing I get:

Trying to add a bitmap that does not exist in stars.tbl!

- I fixed that by replacing the non existing neb_mix9 with another one and it works!

Babylon 5 Signs&Portents.fs2
Warning: Token too long: [Destroy Raider Command and Control carrier.].  Length = 43.  Max is 31.

- I fixed this by shortening the line and get:

error in warp-effect: warp can't point to itself; quitting the warp...

- Can't seem to fix this, even if I remove the only reference to warp-effect in the file.

Babylon 5 T B O T L.fs2
Could not load replacement texture sheridan-01b for ship alpha 1
Could not load replacement texture sheridan-01c for ship alpha 1

- This replacement is already commented out, if I change something it crashes with malloc.

On a whole 3.6.12 seems to be much more sensible to mistakes that 3.6.9 could stomach,
but I could already fix most of these issues and will include them in my patch. Please help
me with the last bugs and for the next DVD or campaign pack we need to test all missions.

As for the video stutter, I use the latest ATI 10.10 drivers on a ATI 3850 AGP and with 3.6.9
the game is much faster and without black boxes around explosions like with 3.6.12...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Some of those subsystem ones can be fixed by just resaving the mission in FRED.  Those missions were released before 3.4b and are looking for data that changed.  Battlecrabs are usually set to perfect since they don't miss unless jammed by telepaths.

I'll have to do some research into that no bank flag.  See what it was supposed to do and if there was a replacement. 

Things like this one:

Babylon 5 Signs&Portents.fs2
Warning: Token too long: [Destroy Raider Command and Control carrier.].  Length = 43.  Max is 31.
previously went undetected and while they may not cause an immediate crash they corrupt memory and you could crash 3 missions later from it.  So it's not that 3.6.9 could stomach them it's just you got crashed and didn't know why.  Now you get these errors so you can fix them and not get crashes. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the replacement texture ones.  Again they can be fixed but that's one warning there is going to be a lot of as FRED has been messing up texture replacement for years.  I was looking at a mission a couple of weeks ago and it had had hall the nova texture replaced like 3 or 4 times.  Probably no big deal but the ship was a Warlock.

Offline wesp5

Battlecrabs are usually set to perfect since they don't miss unless jammed by telepaths.

I'll have to do some research into that no bank flag.  See what it was supposed to do and if there was a replacement.  

I wouldn't worry too much about the replacement texture ones.  Again they can be fixed but that's one warning there is going to be a lot of as FRED has been messing up texture replacement for years.

Okay, I'll be offline from tomorrow over the weekend, but I will include everything else you may find next week in a new patch version. I may do the same for the two Firstones mini campaigns because I love them ;)...

Offline Slasher

I hadn't really realized the HEU missions were that old.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'll have to do some research into that no bank flag.  See what it was supposed to do and if there was a replacement.  

Just remove it. It was suppose to allow ships to turn left and right without banking (i.e move like a car not a plane). It was later removed.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
More specifically, it was replaced by per ship "Banking constant", which can be set in tables.
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Ships.tbl#.24Banking_Constant:
Just add the field and set it's value to 0 to get the same effect.

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
Re: RELEASE Guardian Of Light DEMO 2
Hello, sorry for the bump.
This DEMO has been updated for 3.7.0 and Zathras 2.8. A new download link is available (see page 1)
Many bugs and balancing issues are fixed, but no new missions.  xDxD

TBP's apprentice FREDDER.

Campaign in development:
Guardian of Light (Demo state)(Download DEMO here)
The First Invasion - Part 1 (Planning Concept)

Single Mission :
Human-Narn First Contact (Download here)

Offline wesp5

Re: RELEASE Guardian Of Light DEMO 2 (Updated 18-04-14)
Great! I updated my patch to your new version, fixing the usual minor typos, dialogue issues and other stuff that annoys a perfectionist like me ;). Check out the link here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/babylon-5-star-fury-pilot-unofficial-patch/downloads/babylon-5-star-fury-pilot-unofficial-patch

Still I love this campaign because I love the Vorlons :)! Any chance that you finish it? Maybe just add a final mission in which you encounter the Shadows. You could show us the Vorlon's side of the last mission of Vidmaster's Dark Children campaign, if he gives you the permission to modify it. That would be a very cool crossover! Also the voices for the Shadow fighters in Dark Children are so funny. Do you think you could add something similar but different for the Vorlon fighters?

Last not least, I think I already asked about this the last time I played this campaign: Is there an easy way to move the view point of the Vorlon fighter cockpit a little bit up so you can actually see what you are hitting? Right now as soon as you fire the whole view is blocked by the graphical effect!

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
Well, I don't know if I will finish it or not ? It dépends on my motivation. A half of mission 5 is  done but that's it for now...

Campaign in development:

Single Mission :

Offline wesp5

A half of mission 5 is  done but that's it for now...

Is this from the time you made the original demo or did you work on it recently? What is it about? What do you think about my idea to cross over with the Dark Children campaign?

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
I worked on mission 5 recently but I cannot find enough time to make some progress on this campaign. Cross-over with DC was planned in the original script. For other questions I have no answer :)

Campaign in development:

Single Mission :

any status on full campaign will it ever be alive agein