Author Topic: DX merge - Complete!  (Read 12034 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Mmph.  Two major problems already...

* fred2_open doesn't compile; says something about unresolved linker errors with D3D stuff.  The project file will have to be updated to fix this.

* Computer freezes when I go into the tech room mission loader.  Everything stops, including the mouse, though oddly enough the music keeps playing.  The freeze happens right before the dialog pops up showing the file search.

As for the SEXP bug, I thought I had fixed that. :nervous: I'll look into it again as soon as the mission load freeze is fixed.

Another minor problem - How can I run the game in 640x480 mode now that the only options on startup are for 1024x768?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
K, another freeze.  I tried running a campaign so I'd get to play a mission, and then I pressed escape.  Freeze.  (Both freezes necessitated a hard reboot.) Based on this, I'm positive the bug lies in the pop-up dialog routine.

Specs: Win98 PIII, 256 RAM, running 32-bit.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Goober5000
Another minor problem - How can I run the game in 640x480 mode now that the only options on startup are for 1024x768?

[size=8]GAAAAHHHH!!!![/I][/SIZE]
That is NOT a minor problem!  Not minor at all.  May I strongly suggest this be fixed...
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Minor means it doesn't crash the game. ;)

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
*fingers personal rifle meaningfully*

I am not interested in terminological trivialities...

(;) at Goober, though not at the situation.)
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Originally posted by Goober5000
K, another freeze.  I tried running a campaign so I'd get to play a mission, and then I pressed escape.  Freeze.  (Both freezes necessitated a hard reboot.) Based on this, I'm positive the bug lies in the pop-up dialog routine.

Specs: Win98 PIII, 256 RAM, running 32-bit.

Ok this is odd since I haven't been able to replicate the freezes you mentioned on my machine. Can you give me some more information - debug or retail build, mods or no mods - etc.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Retail build, FS1 port installed.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ugh.  I started it again, then pressed ESC to bring up the quit dialog - while I was still in the main hall - and it crashed. :ick

Then I rebooted, renamed all my mods, created a new pilot, and entered the main hall.  It crashed immediately - probably because of the New User Tip dialog.

Crash happens in both 32 and 16 bit resolutions, using both kinds of antialiasing.  I'm running DX8.1 retail, using the release compile. :doubt:

It's gotta be with the dialog code.  Everything else runs fine.

EDIT: Video card is 3D Prophet II MX, by Hercules.

Hmm...for the time being try using a debug compile and see if that helps, as I suspect it will. I'm gonna have to look into this.

In the mean time, I've also uploaded some new code to the CVS which makes FS2 pick whatever res you have set in your registry to use as the res for the windowed mode.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Debug build works. :yes: However, to add another complication, I got a whole bunch of table parse warnings that I don't get with the release version. :confused:

And the game doesn't run in 640x480 - the launcher still pops up, as it does every time I run the program, and offers me only 1024x768 choices. :doubt:

(However, it all runs in full-screen.  Is windowed mode actually a window?)

Offline RandomTiger

I strongly suggest that people with problems are given a DX8 exe that was made before the merge to determine if these problems occured before the merge.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Eh, well, do you have one?  The latest one on the site was posted in November.

This is interesting, the problem only seems to show up with the DX8 merge in retail mode. The debug build works fine.

And the latest version on the CVS will run in 640x480 mode BUT ONLY IF YOUR REGISTRY ENTRY TELLS IT TO. Otherwise it'll go for 1024x768. It's done this way because it'd be painful at that point in the game to re-size the game window.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2003, 03:51:03 am by 383 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The registry entry does say 640x480.  Retail FS2 runs that way and so does the fs2_open build right before I updated to fs2_dx8, but for some reason fs2_dx8 runs in 1024x768 no matter what.  Unless there's a new registry entry, something's wrong with the mode selector.

EDIT: The November DX8 build (version 3.2) runs fine, although it forces to 1024x748 res as well.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2003, 04:08:30 am by 561 »

Offline Inquisitor

Well, at the very least, can we have it default to the smaller window?

Once you get the other things sorted?
No signature.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Dialog freeze fixed. :) But it still won't run in 640x480... :doubt:

Here's one weird thing - I can't minimize or Alt-Tab.  The program re-maximizes itself. :lol: I managed to get it twice, by clicking really fast while the screen flashed, but it won't stay maximized of its own Volition. :p Can this be fixed?

Cut and paste of the FRED linker errors...
Code: [Select]
--------------------Configuration: fred2_open - Win32 Release--------------------
Compiling...
Sexp_tree.cpp
Linking...
code.lib(GrD3D.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _Direct3DCreate8@4
code.lib(GrD3D.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _DXGetErrorString8A@4
code.lib(GrD3DRender.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXSaveSurfaceToFileA@20
code.lib(GrD3DTexture.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXFilterTexture@16
C:\Games\Freespace2\fred2_open.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 4 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
did you try a complete clean rebuild?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you know looking at it more I'm thinking that maybe you didn't put the dx libs or headers in right
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
But fs2_open compiles just fine.  I'm guessing that there's something in the project settings that needs fixing.