Author Topic: Calling everyone affected by beam crashes  (Read 4392 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Calling everyone affected by beam crashes
If you have ever had 3.7.2 RC4 crash when a beam fired:

I'd like you all to try this build (SSE2, based on r11208) and report back.

Some questions I'd like answered:
  • Does the release build crash when a beam is fired?
    • If yes, does it still crash if you turn off the "kills gauge" in your HUD options (F2 -> HUD config -> select the kills gauge between CM count and ETS bars -> set to "OFF")?
  • Does the debug build crash in the same place?
    • If not, and you have more than one GPU, have you double-checked that the debug build is actually using the correct GPU? Similarly, have you double-checked that the release build is using the correct GPU?
  • If it doesn't crash with either release or debug, if you go back to 3.7.2 RC4, does that still crash?
    • If yes, and you have more than one GPU, have you double-checked that the correct GPU is actually being used by 3.7.2 RC4/this build?

Regardless of whether or not release or debug crashes, I'd like to see debug logs from everyone that tries this build.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Re: Calling everyone affected by beam crashes
Hi Admiral, looking at your post this morning I decided to test a little more with the old 3.7.2_RC4 and to my surprise didn't crash anymore with the standard build! Tested surrender, belissarius (I was ALWAYS crashing when the psamtik would fire) and some custom mission where beams are firing everywhere and no more crash???

Perhaps the latest update in nVidia drivers solved the issue? I think it's v347.09 from 23/12/2014

Since I was always crashing I never played back with the standard build and was always using the debug build.

Anyone else is also experiencing this?

Edit: I'll do some more tests tonight ;)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Hi Admiral, looking at your post this morning I decided to test a little more with the old 3.7.2_RC4 and to my surprise didn't crash anymore with the standard build! Tested surrender, belissarius (I was ALWAYS crashing when the psamtik would fire) and some custom mission where beams are firing everywhere and no more crash???

Perhaps the latest update in nVidia drivers solved the issue? I think it's v347.09 from 23/12/2014

Since I was always crashing I never played back with the standard build and was always using the debug build.

Anyone else is also experiencing this?

Edit: I'll do some more tests tonight ;)
If this turns out to be a driver problem that nVidia has already fixed, that would be excellent news. Hopefully other people report in with similar results.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Well, I attached my logs.

Battle Captains - Aegis

Release and debug build crash in the same time and place (when GVC Herakleopolis requests for fighter cover and shivan fighter wing arrives).
Without "kills gauge" - no crash, I could end mission.
No test on debug build without "kills gauge"

11204 crashes in the same time and place.
I didn't test 11024 without kills gauge.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Code: [Select]
ASSERTION: "oh->sig > 0" at lua.cpp:4867
Code: [Select]
ASSERTION: "shipnum >= 0 && shipnum < MAX_SHIPS" at missionparse.cpp:6669
 Arriving ship '<any friendly>' does not exist!
These both look like problems with Battle Captains itself, rather than the engine.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

I had this issue last night and this morning attempting to play through the campaign with the 3.7.2 RC4 and 2014 Media MVPs.  I've never had this issue before on older releases (thus causing me to create an account and post), or with the base game itself.  Every time I reach the Psamtik about to fire it's beam the game crashes to desktop.  I tested with an older 3.7.0 build and the 3.6.12 media MVPs.  The campaign proceeded without issue.  I attempted to run 3.7.2 RC4 in debug but got a strange message:

==========================================================================
DEBUG SPEW: No debug_filter.cfg found, so only general, error, and warning
categories can be shown and no debug_filter.cfg info will be saved.
==========================================================================
FreeSpace 2 Open version: 3.7.2.10997
Passed cmdline options:
  -missile_lighting
  -nomotiondebris
  -3dshockwave
  -soft_particles
  -post_process
  -fxaa
  -fb_explosions
  -cache_bitmaps
  -dualscanlines
  -orbradar
  -rearm_timer
  -targetinfo
  -3dwarp
  -warp_flash
  -snd_preload
  -mod MediaVPs_2014
Building file index...
Found root pack 'E:\Games\Freespace 2\MediaVPs_2014\MV_A-Glows.vp' with a checksum of 0xd8f529e2
ASSERTION: "max_size > header_offset" at cfile.cpp:1734
 max_size (0) > header_offset in packfile E:\Games\Freespace 2\MediaVPs_2014\MV_Advanced.vp

If it matters, I am running a relatively modern machine, Intel 3770K, AMD R9 290X 4GB, plenty o' ram, and Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64.  I have not run FSO on this new build until last night.  My last FSO build I ran with any frequency was 3.7.0 with the older MVPs.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
/MediaVPs_2014/MV_Advanced.vp is corrupt.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also, please try with the build posted above by AdmiralRalwood a few posts up.  You could, I believe, also run the 3.6.12 MediaVPs with the most recent engine, I think they are still compatible without generating any serious problems.  And please update your graphics drivers if you have an nvidia, there was just an update for the newer cards last month.  We think the crash was also partly driver related, so we're trying to see if that has anything to do with it.  It would be most helpful to us if you attempted to recreate the crash after each change you make (fix corrupted vp, swapping between mediavps sets, using the debugging build above, updating drivers).  However, if you're really just interested in getting it working, I can't blame you for attempting everything at once to get it working :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

After a few more tests with the latest nightly (r11214) I can confirm that I no longer crash using the standard build of FSO (with nvidia drivers v347.09). And I also no longer crash using the old 3.7.2_RC4 (r10997).
So for me it seems all good and only driver-related. Of course all these tests were done using mvp2014!

I hope we'll get more user feedback using updated drivers to see if the crash still happens or not (I'm eager to get a new release candidate or better a 3.7.2 stable release as soon as this issue is fixed :) ), developpers are working hard for us, so give them feedback to help them solve this issue!

Edit: A short test with an older pc (geforce 7600 lol) and of course older drivers (v307.83) and I don't encounter any crash, perhaps the crash was happening with newer versions of the drivers and has been corrected in the latest release

Edit2: I must add that I also use more flags than when I was always crashing on the newer machine (these include post processing, soft particles and FXAA), but these flags are disabled on the older pc...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:51:53 am by krevett62 »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Thanks for the info.  I intend to get RC5 out ASAP, and hopefully we'll be beam crash free by final.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays