Author Topic: wxLauncher Test Builds [Updated: 2016-09-04]  (Read 67073 times)

Re: wxLauncher Test Builds [Updated: 2016-03-19]
Some are not mods, just testing some stuff  :p
Anyway first run is weird because play button is still there, but after minimalizing or on second run it disappears.
Dropdown lists are normal. Weird is speech part.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Are there any special requirements for a mod folder to be recognised in wxlauncher? I have one I've been working on which works fine on the old Launcher (and has a mod.ini etc) but doesn't appear in the mod list in wxlauncher. Others do including very old mods but not my one.

Cheers.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think you just need a mod.ini in a sub-folder, I've created a number of test mods which work fine with wxL.  Maybe post the contents of your mod.ini?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline T-Man

I think you just need a mod.ini in a sub-folder, I've created a number of test mods which work fine with wxL.  Maybe post the contents of your mod.ini?

Okay. At the moment it's in a folder called 'Guiding_Star' and has a 'data' folder and mod.ini with this;
Code: [Select]
[launcher]
modname = Guiding Star;
infotext = As the last days of the Neo-Terran Front begin, the GTD Aeneas and 6th Fleet lead a slow bloody march into the NTF homeland of Polaris.;

[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = MediaVPs_2014;

I can load it through the older launcher fine, so I think it's working game-wise, it just isn't appearing for some reason (despite other folders with almost identical .inis also showing up).

EIDT: This is using the 0.10.1 beta btw. I grabbed it through Goob's installer.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:23:34 pm by T-Man »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
that seems quite similar to a working one I have:

# PLEASE NOTE ALL INI SETTINGS ARE *OPTIONAL*

# modname:       Display name only, so you can have spaces instead of underscores for multi word MOD's
# image255x112:  Location of a 255x112 bmp you wish to display in the launcher
# infotext:      Text that will appear in the launcher
# website:       Link to your website
# forum:         Link to your forum
[launcher]
modname      = CM Test (mvp)
#image255x112 = ;;bplogo.bmp;
image182x80 = mantis182.bmp;
infotext     = Testing Counter Measure Changes WITH mediavps
[multimod]
secondarylist = mediavps_2014;

Maybe update "secondrylist" to "secondarylist"?

Also, have you restarted wxL after creating/updating the mod.ini?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
secondrylist should be fine due to reasons.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
yeah, I thought it should be ok as well (coders can't spell?  ;7), but in the absence of anything else obviously wrong... (I mean, maybe wxL didn't propagate the backwards compatibility spelling?)
----
----

Offline T-Man

(pardon slow reply; had to hit the sack)

Hadn't noticed that, sadly didn't work (checked through working mods and some of them had the misspelling too).

The good news is I finally got it working a moment ago; in the end I deleted the mod.ini and made a new one from scratch. Occoured to me I have had a couple of cases in the past where I've worked with text files and for some reason it hasn't recognised the new text till it's re-typed. It seemed to be if the info ended up in a slightly different font to the norm (not quite sure what caused it, assume it was times I was using wordpad not notepad or cut-pasting from word?).

Bad news is I'm a complete idiot and didn't think to preserve the broken one to compare and see what was breaking it. :banghead: If it ever happens again I'll be sure to preserve it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 02:55:52 am by T-Man »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
(pardon slow reply; had to hit the sack)

Hadn't noticed that, sadly didn't work (checked through working mods and some of them had the misspelling too).

The good news is I finally got it working a moment ago; in the end I deleted the mod.ini and made a new one from scratch. Occoured to me I have had a couple of cases in the past where I've worked with text files and for some reason it hasn't recognised the new text till it's re-typed. It seemed to be if the info ended up in a slightly different font to the norm (not quite sure what caused it, assume it was times I was using wordpad not notepad or cut-pasting from word?).

Bad news is I'm a complete idiot and didn't think to preserve the broken one to compare and see what was breaking it. :banghead: If it ever happens again I'll be sure to preserve it.

You  have file extensions un-hidden, right?   So you can see if you ended up with a mod.ini.txt?  To prevent it from occuring, either put quotes around the name+extension in the Save As dialog, or choose file type "all file types (*.*)" before saving.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
See the wxLauncher wiki on the mod options.  Basically, the only requirement is that a mod.ini exists in a folder, doesn't matter how deep.  Note that wxLauncher only scans for mods when it starts or when the TC selection is changed.

(Sorry, I realize this commentary is a bit late)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
0.12.0-rc.2 has been posted.  Currently looking for some volunteers to produce the OS X build.

Should have fixed the issue with the bottom buttons vanishing (though they still disappear if the screen resolution is too low vertically or the DPI is too high).
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I can take a look at it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok, I had python installed, installed wxWidgets 3.0.2 with Homebrew because my OS is too new to compile 2.8.x, copied the SDL2.framework to my /Libraries/Frameworks folder, and CMake still complains that it can't find SDL2.

Checking for one of the modules 'sdl2'
CMake Error at /Applications/CMake.app/Contents/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:646 (message):
  None of the required 'sdl2' found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:152 (PKG_SEARCH_MODULE)

Not sure if including the log would help, it doesn't even contain the string 'sdl'.

Ok, quick question. Is it only the post 3.7.4 builds that actually correctly identify attached game controllers once you have a binary selected in wxLauncher?
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
EDIT: One sec, rereading.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 04:31:23 pm by jg18 »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I copied the official sdl2 framework as that's the same as the archive one (or it should be), to /Library/Frameworks.  I'll try the user folder next chance I get.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
I'll see if I can get the new wxL to build and run on OS X. I haven't made a build in a while and also not on El Capitan/Xcode 7. EDIT: Also haven't tried wxWidgets 3 before, so a bunch of new things to try.

Offline CT27

Simple question I think:

If there's a new version just made, shouldn't the thread title be updated?  The thread title still says March 19.

EDIT:  Never mind, it was just the post title I saw.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:25:27 pm by CT27 »

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
@chief1983: it looks like pkg-config can't find sdl2.

Looking at how the CI builds for OSX seems to be using brew to install sdl2 and other things.

@ct27: yep, oops.  Fixed now

@LaineyBugsDaddy: Yes, only FSO builds that have SDL will have the SDL joystick handling (though the useless name fix (where they were all called Joystick should apply either way).

I have not been tracking FSO development to know if the SDL code is in 3.7.4 or just in the nightlys.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:47:47 pm by Iss Mneur »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
@chief1983: it looks like pkg-config can't find sdl2.

Looking at how the CI builds for OSX seems to be using brew to install sdl2 and other things.

I have not been tracking FSO development to know if the SDL code is in 3.7.4 or just in the nightlys.
I'm not sure pkg-config is the right way on OS X> I think CMake should be able to find SDL2.framework if you put it in the right place and tell it where it is. At least that's how it worked with SDL.framework. However it doesn't seem to work with SDL2.framework, and so far I'm not sure if the issue is with SDL2 or more recent versions of CMake or more recent versions of OS X (Xcode?).

Or alternatively, maybe wxL actually was using an OS X system copy of SDL rather than the provided SDL.framework and I've misunderstood the entire time? :confused: Time to do an otool -L (OS X equivalent of Linux's ldd) and see what the wxL executable is linked against. EDIT: otool -L confirms that the wxL executable on OS X is linked against the provided SDL.framework and not some OS X system copy of SDL. Phew.

I'm thinking the CMakeLists.txt will need some tweaking to work for OS X. I've spent some time looking into it but not much progress so far. It also looks like the ReadMe's build instructions for OS X are in serious need of an update; I'll need to fix that.

Also SDL2 is just in the nightlies, not 3.7.4.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 01:17:07 am by jg18 »