Author Topic: EMP and messages  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Aesaar

Would it be possible to have an option somewhere that stops EMP from affecting messages?  It singlehandedly prevents the use of EMP weapons in non-voice-acted campaigns.  Which is a shame because EMP has a lot of gameplay possibilities.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
+1 have wanted for years. A mod options or game settings thing?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's kind of the point of EMP though, isn't it?

That said, this sort of option would be easy to add.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
EMP does a lot of other cool stuff - ****s up your HUD, stops bombs, makes the AI go nuts (breaking your mission, LOL). All of those are awesome tools for mission designers BUT we can't use them because the HUD scramble makes it easy to permanently miss vital text messages.

Super duper cool to have this feature, EMP doesn't EMP messages or whatever.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Anyone have a preference for mod table or AI profile? The latter would let you disable it only for some missions, if you have some missions voiced and some not (and want to use EMP effects in both).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
AI profile feels like the right choice to me, because it's more powerful. You might want to do one mission with weapon EMP not scrambling messages, and another with nebula EMP ****ing everything up (although then weapons would EMP messages in that mission but WHATEVER)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Depending on how much of a pain it would be to do, I'd be tempted to suggest splitting those effects into separate flags and having EMP just turn them all on. And then maybe add something for EMP nebulae etc. Because then you could do cool stuff like have bomb suppression area effect weapons. Depends also on whether people want that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
What about the message backlog? Does that get scrambled as well during the EMP hits?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The message backlog records whatever was on the screen.  If the text was scrambled, the logged message is scrambled; if it wasn't, it isn't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The idea of splitting up all the effects is a really good idea. I would very much like to be able to scramble HUD without changing target, for instance.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The message backlog records whatever was on the screen.  If the text was scrambled, the logged message is scrambled; if it wasn't, it isn't.
Yeah, that always really sucked in As Lightning Fall.  You hit F4 to try and read the actual plot-relevant messages and are met with the same WHARRGARBL that you heard earlier.