Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Gaming Discussion / Re: TotalBiscuit has died
« Last post by Luis Dias on May 25, 2018, 03:56:54 am »

RIP John Bain.
Gaming Discussion / Re: What are you playing right now?
« Last post by -Joshua- on May 25, 2018, 03:45:14 am »
Post-9/11 you then a shift in the archetypes of adversaries and adversarial forces that are being employed in narrative (again, film and TV make most drastic shifts) away from military forces as an opposition to "the West" and hence things go a bit more personal and return to an infantry-centric setting as baseline for military-centric fiction...

Incidently the technology the infantry uses has gotten more advanced too. Call of Duty doesn't need to entice you with jets if they can give you javelin missile launchers, ghillie suits, and all that jazz.
Gaming Discussion / Re: What are you playing right now?
« Last post by 0rph3u5 on May 25, 2018, 03:04:18 am »
I don't think the market is there for the type of game we played decades ago.

It might not just be the market ... I looked into it a while back for a potential essay and culturally there seems to have been a shift in perspective when it comes to the archetype of the military pilot ...

The summary is that during the 80's there was a certain shift in displaying military in atlantic pop-culture away from infantry based stories (esspecially in movies) to more technical military professions, pilots chief among them ... I never quite got the "Why"s straight, because cultural and personal bias (including selection bias in regards to data), but the working theory, that seemed to work with a lot of what I was looking at, was two-fold:
a) a shift away from referencing the Vietnam-war to allow military-positiv messaging and b) with a foucs on more technical professions, media could be injected with a narrative about "the West" being more advanced without raising a morality issue (i.e. more advanced technology being a signifier for advancement, "if your tech is refined everything else must be refined too" etc etc)

Post-9/11 you then a shift in the archetypes of adversaries and adversarial forces that are being employed in narrative (again, film and TV make most drastic shifts) away from military forces as an opposition to "the West" and hence things go a bit more personal and return to an infantry-centric setting as baseline for military-centric fiction...

Now, this is just me doing a thing on whim and again, everytime I ran a bias-check things didn't come up alright - selection bias being the most glaring problem (and you know its bad when you fail a bias check you administer yourself)
Gaming Discussion / Re: Current FREE Games Promotions
« Last post by deathspeed on May 24, 2018, 09:09:57 pm »
Hacknet - Deluxe Edition from Humble Bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/hacknet-deluxe
« Last post by Mongoose on May 24, 2018, 08:33:44 pm »
****. Cancer.
« Last post by Scourge of Ages on May 24, 2018, 08:15:02 pm »
Well... just...

I can't think of the right words. Are there any?

I'm 33 too.
« Last post by Akalabeth Angel on May 24, 2018, 07:59:11 pm »
Been expecting that for years, and even more so in the past month after his final medical update.  Still bit of a shock.

Respectfully, WTF is Rest in Peace
Exile / Re: Exile - Discussion
« Last post by CT27 on May 24, 2018, 02:56:36 pm »
Nyctaeus, thanks for the explanation.  I enjoy reading about the development of Exodus Fleet.

Just to make sure I understand you correctly:  when you say "fighterbeams" is that going to be a beam on fighters just for use against other fighters or would it be helpful against enemy capships too?

I'm not sure about anisotropic filtering but at least anti-aliasing does nothing for FSO since most of the work is done with framebuffer objects which are not affected by the AA settings of the driver.

Forcing anisotropic filtering in the driver would probably work although I think that there was a change to FSO recently that allowed the user to configure the AF setting somehow.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10