Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 595678 times)

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
All this makes me wonder what the BP BWO team could have done with Star Citizen's level of money.

More crippling feature creep.

[edit] I misread CT27's post.  Freudian slip. [/edit]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:12:23 pm by BlueFlames »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Actual cassandra system made?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

They aren't pioneering ****. The PS2 had the EyeToy which could track your arm and body movements

we are talking face tracking here

Face tracking has been a thing for years, just not in a video game. There's a program on Steam that does a really good job of it. And do you really expect players to actually sit down across from each other and talk like they would in real life?

Heh, imagine them managing to pull this off and just having to look at everyone's face being one of bitter dissapointment  :blah:

Although I suppose it's very fitting that they're using the same engine for this as the one that is used for WARFACE

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Actual quote from Youtube Citizen:

who gives a ****, every other aaa game will have to lift their game after this is done. this is truly the next generation of games. NOTHING will beat this for a very very long time. and remember this is a kickstarted game that is doing a better job then 99.999% of the other aaa game companies who have years of other games to work off of. nothing will beat this game EVER all of them are held back by publishers and timelines who want the same **** everyone else does.

lel
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Chris Roberts is going to do for video games what he did for film.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

who gives a ****, every other aaa game will have to lift their game after this is done. this is truly the next generation of games. NOTHING will beat this for a very very long time. and remember this is a kickstarted game that is doing a better job then 99.999% of the other aaa game companies who have years of other games to work off of. nothing will beat this game EVER all of them are held back by publishers and timelines who want the same **** everyone else does.

lel
I want to see through the eyes of a citizen for like 5 minutes (and no more than that), to see what they are seeing. They must have constructed an amazing reality for themselves.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Like Sucker Punch but with less boobs and more neckbeards.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

They aren't pioneering ****. The PS2 had the EyeToy which could track your arm and body movements

we are talking face tracking here

maslo has it ever crossed your mind that the reason no other game has done facetracking may be that it's a bad idea?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, thinking about it, it makes very little sense when looking at the way people actually play MMOs. In a vacuum, this technology could be a game changer: but only if people were playing these games as they were envisioned in the heady days of Ultima Online, with everyone actually roleplaying all the time.

This isn't what we are doing though, once we are ingame: For most of the game, players will do things that do not involve staring at other people's avatars for any amount of time. If you are in a tense heist situation where you're trying to capture someone else's ship (because that terrible idea is apparently still in the game?), you are not looking at your victim's facial expressions as you shoot him with your spacegun. What you get, then, is a piece of tech that takes money and time to develop, takes up valuable CPU cycles and setup time, all to enhance one little corner of the game which is deeply irrelevant to whether or not the game is going to be good.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aesaar

I can't think of any game where the experience would have been meaningfully improved by facetracking. However, Maslo's (and reddit citizens') attempts to make it seem like a big deal are amusing, so I suppose it has improved the Star Citizen experience.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Wait what? They want to do facetracking in the game? Why? What happens when I look around my desk all the time? I'm not going to spend my time staring at a camera while I play a game right?

I mean is it supposed to be more immersive because people can see my expressions? It's just going to be a bunch of people making stupid faces to troll people anyways.

Offline CT27

lel

What system of measurement is he using to say this is doing a better job than 99.999% of other games?  I don't get that at all.

He also says other companies have years of other games to work off of...doesn't CR have Wing Commander to his name to try and learn from the past as well?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So has their been any delicious fallout from the Gamescom fiasco?  Crushed dream streams and the like?

I want to eat unhappiness and hate babies, and I'm all out of babies.

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

So has their been any delicious fallout from the Gamescom fiasco?  Crushed dream streams and the like?

I want to eat unhappiness and hate babies, and I'm all out of babies.

I think that the remaining Citizen dreams are pretty uncrushable at this point.  Roberts could slap a Star Citizen sticker (or sticky notes) on unsold copies of Windows ME, and the whales funding the project would say that that boot-to-BSOD was the best feature ever added to a game, before throwing away more money to fund the Jesus patch that will reenable USB keyboard functionality, so that they can use CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot-to-BSOD.

Then again, I've been wrong about the uncrushability of Citizen dreams before.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
maslo has it ever crossed your mind that the reason no other game has done facetracking may be that it's a bad idea?

Star Citizen is not every other game, I want them to push technological and gameplay boundaries. Id rather have them fail than release an average game, a mere rehash of what has always been done. So even if face tracking turns out to be a bad idea, I dont mind such attempts. But I dont think it will be a bad idea at the very least for VR.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

So you don't think face tracking, a technology that uses cameras to view your face is a bad idea with VR, a technology which uses big bulky goggles that cover up your face.

Hmmmmm....  :doubt:
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
So you don't think face tracking, a technology that uses cameras to view your face is a bad idea with VR, a technology which uses big bulky goggles that cover up your face.

Hmmmmm....  :doubt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qboqTI56tcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCd1aRriIis

I think it is only a matter of time until face tracking is an integrated part of VR systems, just like hand and finger tracking is now.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Okay, maslo. Question. And I know you won't answer this because you won't have an answer for it, but I'm putting it out there anyway. Heck, I think I've posed this question already and you apparently ignored it.

Do you really, really think that people will actually use the supreme almighty face tracking technology that has apparently never, ever been applied to anything commercial except Star Citizen (by the way, lol no) to interact? Do you really think the spastic nature of most players would even allow for it?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

So you're saying Star Citizen is building tech now for hardware that might not even exist and possibly won't really be popular in a few years, and that's somehow a GOOD thing?
VR adoption is already extremely low because of the high price, face-tracking capable VR will be even rarer, if it doesn't just fail miserably because it can't really be applied to games.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded