Author Topic: Let's talk about the front page!  (Read 10410 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Let's talk about the front page!
Perhaps we can have it autoplay an empty audio track?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

will this background video have a sign language interpreter
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Umm.  A lot of autoplaying videos (the less atrocious ads) default to volume off, with an inconspicuous mute button if you should choose to listen in.  Thoughts?

I honestly prefer it if the background images would simply rotate between the winners of the screenshot contest. No videos.

Umm.  A lot of autoplaying videos (the less atrocious ads) default to volume off, with an inconspicuous mute button if you should choose to listen in.  Thoughts?

Sound would be a pointless distraction for a background video.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Not if its silent sound!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Vote against autoplay.  That **** is annoying on 3G and limited data.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Seriously guys.. how about worry about the -design- and not the technicalities? Most well designed sites with video BGs don't play them for mobile configurations automatically. A great example is airbnb.com.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Agreed. Design first. Then consider implementation.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Tossed this together just before bed. The wording, menus, buttons, etc. will probably need much refining and whatnot, but it's a start. Concentrated more on the content's design than on the surrounding page's design.

SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Layout looks great, and even most of the wording! Only thing that seems kinda silly is the HLP By the Numbers section, seeing how those aren't going to change much any time soon (and the last one is funny considering I'm sure a huge majority of those accounts are long dormant).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah, that's pretty close to what I imagined when I first posted. You see that and you know that there is stuff to play on that website. :)

I'd make the "Unleash your inner starfighter pilot" into a gif that switches between all our current games so that it shows off TBP, Diaspora,  WoD, etc too.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

I'd make the "Unleash your inner starfighter pilot" into a gif that switches between all our current games so that it shows off TBP, Diaspora,  WoD, etc too.

QFT

But, APNG instead?

EDIT: Oh, and something something you seem to be painting FS2 into a corner by calling it a 'failure'.  Re-phrase to indicate FS2 was never given a chance or uneducated people will be wondering if FS2 is a zombie sent forth to rot their brains.  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:33:26 pm by jr2 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd just cut it back to "Some think the space combat genre died last century. Some people think there hasn't been a good modern space sim in years. Not even close."
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
But, APNG instead?

Nah, pretty sure only Firefox supports them at the moment (I guess I haven't checked Safari....)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APNG#Support

Yeah, looks like Webkit has it,  Edge doesn't have it, and Chrome needs a 3rd party plugin (support is in development).  5/9 browsers support it, not quite universal yet (probably within months?, but that's just my guessing).

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Only thing that seems kinda silly is the HLP By the Numbers section, seeing how those aren't going to change much any time soon (and the last one is funny considering I'm sure a huge majority of those accounts are long dormant).

Yeah, there are definitely other numbers we could show - lines of code changed, number of games played (do we have those kinds of stats, SCPeople?), whatever else is appropriate. Just seemed like something fun. :)

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the rest of the replies! I had thought that top bit could be either a slideshow (let's save animated gifs for articles or emails or something), or be gone completely in favor of having the wording and button hovering over a background video like what was mentioned before - I really think that would be the most impressive.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 04:04:48 am by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
That design looks awesome! I think we should have the "news" things display at very the bottom of your example, Sandwitch. oh, then add the animated background, and It would be perfect!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:08:38 am by Sandwich »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
A few small adjustments. Definitely more to do, just don't have the time at the moment.

I kinda want to keep the feel of the line "The thing is, FS2 never died... not even close." If you can come up with a good way to introduce that line, give it context, without referring to FS2 as a failure (perhaps what I did was sufficient?), let me know. :)

I dislike the entire "What is all this" section. I'd remove any focus on space sims dying or FS2 being a failure or anything, and just focus on the celebration of FS2 being kept alive for over 15 years. Opening a webpage with negativity (negativity that is not even warranted considering the state of the space game genre today) is never a good idea. That entire section has a bit of "We're not as bad as people say we are!" which is weird because nobody is saying that to begin with. If there's any game that can make a claim to be "Dead", it's Allegiance. And they aren't.

Instead I'd replace it with... **** it, just ask AuthorTuta, but if you want my geuss:
Before Saint's Row, Volition created Freespace.
In 2001, they released the source code to Freespace 2 to the public.
15 years, a hundred user created campaigns and 7 standalone games later, FS2 Open stands as a bold achievement of what a dedicated community can do.

I'd put the "Buy FS2" in the middle, put "Expand FS2 with FS2Open" on the right, and put the "Get free standalone games" on the left. In general, standalone games should never be considered a "Third Step".

EDITed extensively.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:21:29 am by -Joshua- »