Author Topic: Exoplanet-Hunting Aliens Could Be Looking At Earth Right Now!  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Exoplanet-Hunting Aliens Could Be Looking At Earth Right Now!
From Universe Today:

In the past few decades, the search for extra-solar planets has turned up a wealth of discoveries. Between the many direct and indirect methods used by exoplanet-hunters, thousands of gas giants, rocky planets and other bodies have been found orbiting distant stars. Aside from learning more about the Universe we inhabit, one of the main driving forces behind these efforts has been the desire to find evidence of Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (ETI).

But suppose there are ETIs out there that are are also looking for signs of intelligence other than their own? How likely would they be to spot Earth?

I am sure that the Shivans, the GRW, the Authority and the Vasudans will look for us sometime in the future :)
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: Exoplanet-Hunting Aliens Could Be Looking At Earth Right Now!
They could be looking at us right now, they could have been looking at as when the pyramids weren't even there in Giza, or they could notice us just in a short moment, i.e. several thousand years. Why would we start being very interested with it just because some random blog decided to randomly make a random article about totally random aliens that could be randomly scanning their own sky for some random technological civilisations? Especially when nothing changed and someone's making a big and fuzzy article about how nothing changed?

This article kinda reminds me of Secureteam10 from Youtube. One of his (yeah, that's a single person calling himself a "team") most impressive discoveries was how he, using only Google Sky, discovered about 40-ish solid objects on the night sky that would be hundreds or thousands light years long or wide... If they ever existed.
Guess who couldn't comprehend how the pictures of the sky were made with a long exposure time and most of these things were actually some space debris which flew in front of the telescope - and the rest of them were reflections from inside it.
I think I could grab a shovel and find that video somewhere so we could just have some laughs.

Bryan, go watch/read some real astronomy videos/articles. My suggestion would be Isaac Arthur's videos.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Just to set the mood...

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They could be looking at us right now, they could have been looking at as when the pyramids weren't even there in Giza, or they could notice us just in a short moment, i.e. several thousand years. Why would we start being very interested with it just because some random blog decided to randomly make a random article about totally random aliens that could be randomly scanning their own sky for some random technological civilisations? Especially when nothing changed and someone's making a big and fuzzy article about how nothing changed?

This article kinda reminds me of Secureteam10 from Youtube. One of his (yeah, that's a single person calling himself a "team") most impressive discoveries was how he, using only Google Sky, discovered about 40-ish solid objects on the night sky that would be hundreds or thousands light years long or wide... If they ever existed.
Guess who couldn't comprehend how the pictures of the sky were made with a long exposure time and most of these things were actually some space debris which flew in front of the telescope - and the rest of them were reflections from inside it.
I think I could grab a shovel and find that video somewhere so we could just have some laughs.

Bryan, go watch/read some real astronomy videos/articles. My suggestion would be Isaac Arthur's videos.

Yeah, Aliens could watch us at any point in time -- and it would be absolutely irrelevant unless either we or they discover FTL travel.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Or STL communications.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

I'm incredibly afraid some advanced alien civilization will be able to spy on my carnal sins within the next tens of thousands of years. I'm worried and speechless, I have no idea what to do.

I cannot recommend Isaac Arthur highly enough.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm not sure why Bryan's article is getting so much hate. The paper it's about is hard science.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
It's speculation. Might end up being true, might end up being false. People have a right to speculate... right? :nervous:

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
@karajorma: Because it isn't an article on the subject it claims to be. The title ("Exoplanet-Hunting Aliens Could Be Looking at Earth Right Now!") is claiming this article is about extraterriestrals who might be looking for us, but it consists of a couple of sentences about the topic (So uhh yeah, we think that if there's another civilisation out there, they might be looking at their sky too) and the remaining 90% is how about WE do it and nothing about THEM. I wouldn't be ranting it so much if its title wasn't misleading the person reading it. The proper one would be "How do we search for extraterrestial civilisations?". The current one is pure clickbait.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah, it's true that it's got a clickbait title but the paper it's based on is interesting.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I really do loathe popular reporting on legitimately interesting research.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I don't agree with loathing popular reporting on legitimate research, but... I do care if any aliens do locate one of our planets using the existing exoplanet search techniques...
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...