Author Topic: Deprecated Audio API on OS X?  (Read 3627 times)

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Deprecated Audio API on OS X?
I got this warning message when running 3.7.4 in the Terminal on OS X (10.11.3), although the game seemed to launch OK:

2016-08-30 05:37:33.819 FS2_Open 3.7.4[582:14962] 05:37:33.819 WARNING:  140: This application, or a library it uses, is using the deprecated Carbon Component Manager for hosting Audio Units. Support for this will be removed in a future release. Also, this makes the host incompatible with version 3 audio units. Please transition to the API's in AudioComponent.h.

Not yet sure what we'll need to do or how to fix it though.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Deprecated Audio API on OS X?
I wonder if that's related to #847.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Maybe? Best guess at the moment is that Apple's OpenAL is using an outdated OS X audio API. One way to test would be to build up-to-date OpenAL Soft and use that with a 3.7.4 build from source instead of Apple's OpenAL although that's a fair bit of work, so not sure when I'll be able to try that.

The list of dynamic libraries that Apple's OpenAL depends on:

Code: [Select]
$ otool -L /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/OpenAL
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/OpenAL:
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 1258.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 492.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 728.7.0)
/usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 120.1.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1226.10.1)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Is this still a thing?  We should probably get an official issue on Github to track migrating OS X to OpenAL Soft I think.  Don't know if it would help with this issue but I've never seen it myself.  Maybe the error here warrants an issue of its own?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays