Author Topic: Can't get FS or FSO to install/run  (Read 3220 times)

Can't get FS or FSO to install/run
When I try to run FSO I get the error "OpenAL32.dll was not found" so I looked up that dll, put it in C:windows/system and got "The procedure entry point alcGetString could not be located in the dynamic link library OpenAL32.ll"  I have version 0.9.5.1, so I guess I found an old version of it?

When I try to run FS2 I get "Freespace2/FRED cannot be run from a drive root directory" and I've tried saving the files to a DVD-RW and running them from there, but I get the same error.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Can't get FS or FSO to install/run
OK, two things (well 3):

1. Delete the OpenAL file you put in your \windows\system dir.

2. Go to www.openal.org, and in the downloads section, get & install the Installer for Windows.  (Not the SDK.)

3. Move your FreeSpace2 dir to someplace on your hard disk that is not in My Documents or the Desktop.

EDIT: If you still get the drive root error, or you didn't have the FS2 dir in My Documents or the Desktop, then delete the launcher6.ini file in your FreeSpace2 main dir, and run the Launcher.exe again.  Oh, and you need the correct tags... hang on.  EDIT: here ya go:

The "List type" dropdown box should contain several selections, notably "Graphics" which is what it defaults to. The actual checkboxes for that heading are found in a box below the "List type" box. See the attached picture.

List type: Graphics

Enable specular
enable glowmaps
enable environment maps
enable jpg/tga textures
enable mipmapping
disable motion debris
stops fog intersect hull
disable scale-to-window for movies (DO not check this one)
apply lighting to missiles

List type: HUD
Another pair of scanning lines
Enable info next to target
Enables 3d radar
enable rearm/repair completion timer
enable the analog ballistic ammo gauge

List type: Gameplay
use models for ship selection
enable 3d warp
enable flash upon warp
toggle features for the babylon project (DO NOT select!)
toggle features for the Wing Commander Saga (DO NOT select!)

Above List type, in "Custom flags" text box:
-ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -fov 0.55 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1

EDIT2:  Oh, and
:welcomeblue:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 01:08:14 pm by jr2 »

I've done all that, my freespace folder was in C:\Program Files\freespace to begin with, so I dunno what's with that.  But, FSO works now, I'll be trying it out once I get home. 

I've got a T2300, GMA 950, and 2Gigs of PC2-5300, how updated is this game, should I be able to max all the details and everything? 

Also, how does it handle widescreen, is it true widescreen where you can see more at the sides, does it just chop off your view on the top and bottom and expand it to make it look widescreen, or does it simply stretch the image?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Umm, there is currently problems with custom resolutions, it'll work, but some of the stuff gets messed up graphics wise (stuff doens't line up).

As for handling the game, you should be able to max the settings out.  Use the tags I mentioned, plus in the in-game options, (F2) under Details, max all sliders out.

And, play FSPort first, it comes first chronologically.  In the Launcher, under the Mod tab, select the fsport directory.  Then select "The Main FreeSpace Campaign" from the in-game Campaign Room.  When you play FS2, select the mediavps directory (or you'll get older graphics).  If you don't have fsport, run Turey's Installer, click on the button with the location "C:\Games\FreeSpace2" to change it to the directory that you have, and install it and the cutscenes if you can.  I'd pretty much recommend getting everything in the Installer except the stuff for Macs.

Any more questions?  :D

I used Turey's installer and did just that, got everything but the mac stuff.  How do I use this mediavps stuff, just click the folder under MOD, or do I click the subfolder "data"?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Choose the mediavps folder in the mod tab, using the "select mod" button.  But like I said, use FSPort first, or you'll be starting the reading halfway through the book!  ;)  When you choose FSPort, you don't need mediavps, because inside the fsport folder is a file that tells FS2 SCP that it should also load mediavps.  But, when you play FS2, you must manually select mediavps.

FS2 retail still doesn't want to run, still giving the drive root directory message.  I don't really care for it since FSO is the same thing but prettier, but I thought you should know.

Also, FSport runs the intro movie on startup, but then the mission room looks the same as FS2, and the only missions I see are FS2 missions, what am I missing here?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Sounds like you're missing anything in the actual FSPort folder. There was a problem with the FS Port hosting a few days back which meant that nothing would download. If the folder is indeed empty you won't have anything to override the FS2 VPs and that's all you'll see.

Re run the installer and tell it to install FS1 port. Now see if it downloads anything.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Seems like that's the problem then, the only .vp in the folder is the one for the intro cutscene.  I'll redownload later, right now I'm at the airport which has free wifi, but it's limitetd to dial-up speed, and I'm going to grandma's and all she has is dialup, so I won't be able to report back until Monday.