Poll

How much would you be willing to contribute towards a joint HLP pledge? ($2500 is the target)

$1
6 (5.6%)
$3
5 (4.7%)
$5
12 (11.2%)
$10
21 (19.6%)
$20
27 (25.2%)
$50
20 (18.7%)
$75
1 (0.9%)
$100
9 (8.4%)
$200
4 (3.7%)
More (Please Post)
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Author Topic: This makes me giddy  (Read 70097 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'm preparing an update now here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VCB0-SZt1ORNZn9GfnUwox_RQMje6v9gxeI4MmNE7hE/edit?usp=sharing . I'll ask for a double check before I post it.
Document doesn't appear to be shared...

Also, I'm on the road now so I can't give you an accurate figure, but we've received a few hundred in donations via our PayPal, which I'll transfer to the Kickstarter later.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:55:21 pm by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Warboss

Contributed 20$ for this project on Kickstarter.
Earth Self Terran Defense Forces Forever

Offline kkmic

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments will be lost in time... like... tears... in rain. (pause) Time... to die.

wxLauncher 0.9.4 Beta | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sent my first $25 to kickstarter.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Finally made due on my promise. $100 to kickstarter.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
...aaaand that's the $7500 stretch goal passed. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
$30 from me and message sent
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
...aaaand that's the $7500 stretch goal passed. ;)

Yus!

Current running total is $1,289.75

The google doc wasn't properly shared - sorry!

It should be shared now - if I can get a spot check from someone Ill post it.

Thanks again - I'm growing increasingly excited to work on this!

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Put my 200 in directly on Kickstarter and sent a message to Rei on Kickstarter.

EDIT: Noticed the update about the post.  There are few things that I noticed: This site is Hard-Light Productions (HLP).  Some of our members are a part of the (FreeSpace 2) Source Code Project (SCP) which works on FreeSpace 2 Open (FSO).  I would also like to make clear that FSO has the source available, but it is not an Open Source project as defined by the The Open Source Initiative.

And also, Kagetsuki, I thank you.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:43:18 pm by Iss Mneur »
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Put my 200 in directly on Kickstarter and sent a message to Rei on Kickstarter.

EDIT: Noticed the update about the post.  There are few things that I noticed: This site is Hard-Light Productions (HLP).  Some of our members are a part of the (FreeSpace 2) Source Code Project (SCP) which works on FreeSpace 2 Open (FSO).  I would also like to make clear that FSO has the source available, but it is not an Open Source project as defined by the The Open Source Initiative.

And also, Kagetsuki, I thank you.

Awesome! I'm glad you clarified that. I updated the post so if someone can give me another read-through to make sure I didn't screw anything else up that would be great.

Total is up to $1489.75 BTW. Thanks everyone!

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Thanks for the post draft, Kagetsuki.

Some thoughts:

- Maybe include the SCP's website's URL http://scp.indiegames.us/

- Actually, we don't accept contributions. :) The HLP website has a donation page for maintaining the forums etc., but my understanding is that HLP is okay money-wise for the time being.

- You might change the wording to say that HLP/SCP has created "completely original missions, content packs, mods, and entire games (total conversions) running on FSO, such as The Babylon Project http://babylon.hard-light.net/ and Diaspora http://diaspora.hard-light.net/ ".

- Maybe change "FreeSpace is a massive space combat simulator" to "FreeSpace 2 is a classic space fighter combat game that is famous for its massive capital ships"

- As mentioned, FSO is not open source by the standards of the Open Source Initiative, although the source code is available.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
$100 to KS from me & note sent
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I updated the post so if someone can give me another read-through to make sure I didn't screw anything else up that would be great.

You should take out or reword the section about accepting funds for development, as jg18 said.  Strictly speaking the SCP doesn't accept funds at all; in the first place it would open up a can of worms as to how to divide it up, and in the second place it might incur the wrath of Volition's or Interplay's lawyers.  The SCP directs all donations to HLP.  HLP accepts donations for maintaining the website, supporting project hosting, and occasionally supporting community interests like this Kickstarter.

Also, I sent $150 yesterday. :)

Offline wistler

$50 sent through donate button :)

Offline Axem

I hath pledged ten of my finest dollars.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Here's my rewording suggestions and corrections:

You may have noticed a big bump in backers recently. Not only were we covered in TechCrunch, but we’re getting a huge boost from the group community over at the Hard Light Productions (HLP) and (from?) the FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project (SCP). HLP is a groupcommunity of gamers who have been working on improvements and mods to FreeSpace 2 and its open-sourced code base for well over a decade. FreeSpace is a massive classic space combat simulator famous for its massive capital ships, and FreeSpace 2, which the FreeSpace 2 Open (FSO) project is based on, received a numerous “Game fo of the Year” awards and great reviews in 1999/2000. From what I've seen it appears HLP and the Source Code Project have not only kept it quite the game engine up to date, but also created completely original campaigns, missions, content packs, and mods. I myself can't wait to “test” it. If you have any interest in games and especially if you were a fan of Descent or FreeSpace I hope you check out Hard Light Productions and the FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project. Their accumulated contributions are going toward a collective $2,500 reach for apngasm based APNG support integration into the FreeSpace Open SCP code base. I’d also like to note that they collect contributions to continue development - including completely new and original games built on the FSO engine. By contributing to us they are using funds they would have otherwise put to their own inner-comunity projects - so if you’re interested in their work I’m sure they would appreciate a contribution. are always eager for skilled coders, modelers, texture artists, and the like to join the community and start contributing anything they can.

Let me just say I personally am looking forward to working on integrating apngasm into FSO. I used to be a big Descent fan and the FreeSpace series is something I missed out on. In the mid 2000’s I did embedded engine development for the AGB and breaking down asset packages for integration was a big part of the job. Now I get to do engine development on an *Open Source* and radically improved distribution of a game I always wanted to play!

To keep track of the Hard Light contriubtions contributions we'll be adding a running total to the front page. A big thanks to HLP/FS2SCP!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ok, semi-full disclosure time... the HLP PayPal has a not-insignificant amount of funds in there. There have been three $50 donations recently for this project, and since PayPal takes a fee off every donation, I'm deciding unilaterally that HLP will compensate for those fees, so the full amounts of each of those donations will go to the KickStarter.

That leaves us with a still not-insignificant amount in there. What do people think of the idea that HLP as an "entity" (not just the individual "forumites") would donate, say, multiple hundreds of dollars to this, from the funds that have come in over the years and which we haven't needed for hosting?

Given that the forumites have pledged in excess of the target, I'd say hopd on to those funds and do something else cool with them. :nod:

I agree with this, with the caveat that if we get down to the wire and haven't made the $2500 goal.. That we should use the funds to hit that if possible.

Offline Amarus

Put my money where my vote was, 20 bucks in the collection plate.

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Here's my rewording suggestions and corrections:
If the hope is that more traffic/attention will come, perhaps mentioning Blue Planet and Diaspora under the mods line, such as:

"...but also created completely original campaigns, missions, content packs, and mods such as Blue Planet and Diaspora."

*whimpers remembering the load the server was under when Diaspora was released...*
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."