Author Topic: New heavy frigate  (Read 48424 times)

A very beautiful ship!  :yes: :yes: :yes:
how about naming it Phobetor.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobetor

thanks! I think Phobetor is too close to Erebus, which is actually a GTVA ship...
here is a normal map for the panels texture, if you want to use it:

thank you Fightermedic! Did you already use that texture?
not a fan, i'd prefer a clean, sleek, 'ceramic' look to those plates, like whitearrow is doing right now
yes, I initially preferred that too, but since this ship has been built also to endure tev's beams salvos I thought it must those plates...

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
While I love the current clean ceramic look, I'd not hold it against you if you decided to split the hull panels into segments. It's your work after all.

Offline Luis Dias

I would. The ship is already with a good chunck of fragmented geometry the last thing it needs is further fragmentation with plate normal mapping.

Please don't. The ship is magnificent as is already. Do the "lets detail every single pixel" mentality in the under parts and everything that is not already "plated". It's not as if the ship is anywhere near tactical feasability - I mean it has Wings! increasing its profile for better shooting at it with no clear upside to it!

Doesn't mean I don't love it. Because I do. It's beautiful.

Offline wistler

Any chance you can tell me how to get my hands on that sexy skybox?

Love the ship design as well!

Any chance you can tell me how to get my hands on that sexy skybox?

Love the ship design as well!

It's not a skybox, just a high res image. I took the pictures from certain angles to hide the seam....

here's a link, but I didn't dowload it from there.... I got it somewhere else, but I don't remember where precisely. And since I've gone through a clean installation procedure I lost it...
http://foundwalls.com/space-earth-orbit-iss-sun/

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
i've used it on some of my lego ships in different color, so i figured i can as well post the normal in case you wanted to use one, and save you some time :)
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

i've used it on some of my lego ships in different color, so i figured i can as well post the normal in case you wanted to use one, and save you some time :)
Actually I used it just to have some kind of regular geometry shape that could also give the general idea of spaceship panelling. I don't know whether I'm going to use it on the definitive version. Thanks again anyway.

I would. The ship is already with a good chunck of fragmented geometry the last thing it needs is further fragmentation with plate normal mapping.

Please don't. The ship is magnificent as is already. Do the "lets detail every single pixel" mentality in the under parts and everything that is not already "plated". It's not as if the ship is anywhere near tactical feasability - I mean it has Wings! increasing its profile for better shooting at it with no clear upside to it!

I see your point Luis. Should the community ask for a clean version, without plates, I'll consider releasing it too...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
If it's a UEF ship, then this Wikipedia page might give you some ideas for names. Perhaps Lokapala (Guardian of the World)?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Husker

I googled goddesses of the hunt, and came up with UEFg Devana. Don't know what you'll end up with, though. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll befit the amazing model it will be attached to.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
If you are still looking for names, whitearrow, I came across this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarah_ibn_Shaddad

ON WINGS: IMHO, wings have some tactical advantages.
1) They reduce the angle from which vital structures can be attacked. I mean, let's suppose that the attacking ship is over the frigate: even if it moves to the frigate's flank it won't be able to shoot directly t the frigate's main engine. Wings work like a sort of shield.
2) The wide surface of wings may be useful to dissipate the heat caused by a beam shot.
3) The fact that it would increase the profile for better shooting is a non-issue. I don't think that having wings or not would make any difference against a late 24th century targeting system, which has to fire at a 2km long thing. A WW2 gunner was able to hit a 200m target at a distance of 10 km with rough sea... manually! (i.e. without computerized firing control)
4) The frigate's bow will be aiming directly to the target for the most of time in order to fire the main weapons. The wings frontal profile is so small that becomes irrelevant. Wings would be targetable at close distance, but this a ship that is not supposed to fight at close range...
5) Wings are cool!!! That's tactical too in FS2! :p

Offline cahdoge

• Is a lubricated bug a butterfly?
How a name out of Nordic mythology
Víðarr also Vidar or Vitharr.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%AD%C3%B0arr
Understanding do you me?

For now I'm considering the names "Brahmaputra" (an Indian river) and "Ignis" (fire in Latin)...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmaputra_River

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
+1 for Brahmaputra

mostly cuz im Indian :p
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Ignis sounds better. "Fire" is a good name for a huge combat warship. (and I guess that that ship will be able to unleash a lot of it)

Brahmaputhra is too long and sounds less "combat like" xD.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Or Agni! (Hindu god of fire, IIRC)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Agni's quite good. Ignis feels a bit close to just naming the ship 'fire'.

Offline crizza

Aquila Ignis maybe?

Offline cahdoge

• Is a lubricated bug a butterfly?
But Aquila is a command ship of the GTVA.
Understanding do you me?