Author Topic: Been out of it for ages!  (Read 2373 times)

Been out of it for ages!
So tell me: I am about to score myself a new rig with Win-8; Once I do, I will buy FS2 over at GOG;  I assume it and the 'build' are Win-8 compatible? For some reason, Win 8 doesn't bring up anything in the search engine. Anyway, I digress...What is the absolute latest FS2-open we got? And most importantly, when I download it, is there any way I can 'winnow out' the 'eye candy'? I find that 'too rich' effects make it hard to get a good frame-rate. Try to use 'small words'--I need the "Penny" explanation not the "Sheldon" explanation...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Been out of it for ages!
3.6.18 should work fine on Win 8; make sure you move FreeSpace to C:\Games\ rather than where GoodOldGames installs it; and the launcher (use WXLauncher if possible) will provide you with all kinds of options to customize the graphical settings.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
3.6.18 should work fine on Win 8; make sure you move FreeSpace to C:\Games\ rather than where GoodOldGames installs it; and the launcher (use WXLauncher if possible) will provide you with all kinds of options to customize the graphical settings.

Does putting it in games actually have any benefit at all? I've had FS2 in Program Files for years to no ill effect.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Does putting it in games actually have any benefit at all? I've had FS2 in Program Files for years to no ill effect.

Yes, it can help avoid a whole set of crashes.

Wow...you guys are fast! When I get everything rolling I shall chime in again.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

Well, they're not happening to me, so there must be other factors at play.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Depends on what version of Windows you are running. See, FSO (and some scripts, even) edit files in it's own directory. Under Vista and up (by default) this is not generally allowed. That alone could be a problem until we tell FSO to run it all from %appdata%.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Well, they're not happening to me, so there must be other factors at play.

That's not a surprise, and we know exactly what causes these crashes. Keeping your filepath short is a good way to help avoid them.