Author Topic: RELEASE: The Antagonist  (Read 60529 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: RELEASE: The Antagonist
Okay, so I finally did start in on this, and the setting and gameplay seem like they're going to be a lot of fun (woo one-man killing machine!), but...I'm getting my ass handed to me on the very first boss, on Medium no less. :p I must be approaching it wrong, because staying close means its laser turrets shred through my hull way too quickly, and moving too far away means, well, Death By Beam.

Also, I'm not sure if it was just on my end or not, but most of my lines during that intro (along with one or two others) were super-quiet, except one or two that got really crazy loud.  They all sound like they're at the same level when I play back the original files on this end, so I'm not sure what happened there.

Edit: The volume thing is probably on my end, since I'm seeing the same thing happen to primary weapons sounds while I'm playing through the Warzone beta.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:21:28 pm by Mongoose »

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Listen to Edward, he gives your a number, not just "stay close", and the number he gives is about as safe as you're going to get.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Well, that first boss is kind of your first real test, but after all the difficulties I'm hearing about people trying to beat him here's a hint:
Spoiler:
Edward says if you get more than 1500 away from Crimson, missiles will be launched at you. You don't want this so try to stay a comfortable 1300 away at all times. While at this range you should be able to anticipate the turret fire. Continue to deal damage and prepare to dodge when you see the flurry coming. The turret fire is shot at regular intervals, try to get a rhythm of dodging and dealing damage. Grenades are great for dealing fast damage before dodging.
And if that's not good enough here's a real hint:
Spoiler:
Save the APE-86XP powerup for Crimson
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
Recently got FRAPS so i'm frapsing just about anything, especially FreeSpace, and since there seem to be so few videos of The Antagonist on YT i figured I could add one  :D
So i fraps'd mission 4B, i know it's not best one in term or features or fun, and that i'm really bad at flying stuff (especially missile avoidance..), but it doesnt contain anything like a story spoiler i think
Linkage => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQZYoQnbpM

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
Very cool, I approve.

You're a lot better than me at that mission, heh.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Poor Kyad always bites it in that mission.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

The fighter could be geat with a true HTL design ( cockpit, ect... ) and without ITS 2 BULL**** 100M LONG WING MOUNTED CANONS !!!
It is only the beginning

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
Always been wondering... what the hell are the cannons for?
They should be the HPE's output point.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
@Firartix The hyperbolic sized cannons are for the Grenade Cannon weapon. You can see this by firing the grenade cannon while looking at the fighter from the external view using '.' on the number pad. When I just started making The Antagonist, grenades were super powerful, making the hardest part of the game to avoid killing yourself with your own grenades. The size of the cannons reflected the initial design of the weapon.

When I first showed this model on irc, a few people also made the point that the cannons were way oversized, certainly larger than any fighter's weapon in the FS verse. I like the over the top presentation, I think it's fun haha.

@StarDestroyer Keep in mind that I am a novice as a modeler and that the finer points of HTL design are probably beyond me, though I am learning. It might be interesting if someone else wants to make an alternate design/model, or even an alternate texture for the x86-Starcracker. The mesh is quite basic compared to most other models out there, so It should not be too daunting to play around with. I can upload the .blend file if anyone's interested.
BP Multi
The Antagonist

I really enjoyed this. The missions were unique, and the APE is quite possibly the most fun weapon I've used in FS2. I hope to see some of the things you've pioneered here popping up in other campaigns.

Spoiler:
My only complaint is that I saw the ending as something of a false dilemma--why not tell Edward to piss off, and then proceed to kill Amethyst and continue the rampage through the Oligarchy? In the face of the choice between "channel Hitler" and "pussy out", I feel that the player should have the right to try a third option, even if it just results in the player getting curbstomped (as it probably would).

Or is there something I missed to the effect that the Starcracker can't operate at full combat potential without Edward?

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
@LP
Spoiler:
Your superweapon SK-1 is not a 'kill all' death ray, but rather a catalyst for creating supernovae out of stars. Plotwise Amethyst would crush you if you try to fight him directly. I was considering having Amethyst abandon his bargaining and simply destroy you if you happen to get too close in the final mission, but then I figured it would be a detail no one would notice/encounter. Not to mention that the player would have to fight the x87 again.

Surprisingly enough, people seem to like the ending where you blow up the star quite a bit. The other branch in my mind is left to the imagination as the player character is finally free from the grasp of control of both Edward and the Oligarchy, and can go 'wherever you want'. I would think the player could try to spark some kind of revolution somehow, but as a cheap cop out I'll just say that's up to you.

In other news, I was able to get The Antagonist on mod db. Thanks go out to mjn.mixael for the banner art, otherwise something horrendous would have taken its place! Thanks also to Firartix and Metal Destroyer for the video content.
BP Multi
The Antagonist

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Spoiler:
Why couldn't you just go back into subspace and start dinking the Amethyst with ZwideSSMs like *before* the x87 showed up with its subspace inhibitor? That was going rather well.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
Spoiler:
Would you believe me if I told you that Amethyst had reinforcements on the way? I guess that would explain why Edward says "time's up sir".
BP Multi
The Antagonist

Yeah, that clears it up, it just could have been communicated a little more clearly in-game. I'll reiterate that this is just a quibble and I really enjoyed the campaign.

I finally finished the last few missions of the campaign.  I had to bring the difficulty down to easy more times than I would care to admit.  While the weapons were over the top sometimes they certainly were a blast to use.  The subspace mission was certainly different.  Took me awhile to figure out the trick to that one.

This one gets five stars in my book.  This campaign was the most fun I've had playing FreeSpace in awhile.  You really made the player feel like a one man army.  Are you considering doing a followup campaign?

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
Thanks for the comments.

Are you considering doing a followup campaign?

Mostlikely no. The storyline/setting was created almost entirely to serve the gameplay and give the actions of the player some meaning. If and when I decide to make another campaign, I will probably want to try something new. FSO allows a lot of opportunities for creativity.
BP Multi
The Antagonist

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Mostlikely no.

:(
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
So after finishing all my exams, I decided to finish the campaign (I was up to the mission where you destroy Osmund).

I do enjoy the new type of gameplay. What you did with the subspace battle parts was really clever. I ended up turning down the difficulty a notch from medium twice - the first time when I was fighting Emerald (I was reduced to near-insanity but came to my senses and just turned it down), the other when I was fighting Osmund (damn K-10s). However blowing up everything in the Starcracker was very fun, and there are plenty of unique challenges - evading torpedos rather than using coutermeasures, the subspace stuff, power-ups.

Kudos for using a whole range of user-made ships; There's quite a few I haven't seen before in campaigns (I don't know how I recognised the Landsknecht as the Selkie - I just seem to have downloaded lots of ships myself). Personally despite its low-res I do like the Starcracker model myself, what with having those torpedos slung under the wings and those huge cannons ... you're right about yellow being a relatively unused colour, so nice work having the Starcracker coloured that.

I must say that my favourite voice-actor was the one that did Osmund, just because he sounded like some kind of dictorial person. Good job at getting the whole thing acted. :yes:

All in all I think you did a great job in doing this campaign, bigchunk, and all the best for any future projects you have. :D

Spoiler:

Surprisingly enough, people seem to like the ending where you blow up the star quite a bit.

Spoiler:
I think people just like blowing stuff up and a supernova is quite a big bang. It's what I did first, although I felt horrible about it (I'm not good at being evil, thankfully not being an evil person after all) and went into the simulator to see the "good" ending. Wouldn't mind using the Starcracker on uninhabited systems though, so I could have my big boom and not hurt anyone. EDIT: probably was stupid of me to say that last sentence - I was thinking of being like the Mythbusters and making big explosions in "safety" (refer to my later post).

Incidentally I guessed what Edward was made for as soon as Ameythst started blabbing on about it - I mean, the ship is called "Starcracker", isn't it?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:24:49 am by ssmit132 »

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
Spoiler:
You wouldnt mind possibly killing billions of billions of people you dont know about?

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
No no no no! :eek: Did my post suggest that?

...Did you mean if I didn't know if there were actually people (or aliens) there? :nervous:

What I meant by "Wouldn't mind using the Starcracker on uninhabited systems" means that in a game if I was given the option to blow up stars or not (barring Galactic Civilizations II) and the game would show you the consequences of such an action if you used it on an inhabited system, I'd make sure that the star I was destroying would be in an uninhabited one (if given that option), so that I could not harm any innocent people or aliens.

I wouldn't do it in any real life situation, especially if it meant killing innocents (thinking about that story with the Babyeaters and Superhappies here). And especially if I was given the situation in The Antagonist in real life.

Hope that clears up what I meant. Sorry Firartix (and anyone else who thought the same thing as him) for looking like I'd want to blow up stars without regarding whether the system would be inhabited. I don't know whether I'm overreacting or not but I don't want to seem like I'd be irresponsible like that. :nervous:

EDIT: Modified for clarity. Also I apologise to bigchunk for semi-hijacking the thread with that.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:28:15 am by ssmit132 »