Author Topic: Undefined seeker strength  (Read 2972 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Undefined seeker strength
What seeker strength does a weapon with no defined seeker strength use?

Does the 'bomb' flag have any special interaction with seeker strength/countermeasures?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Undefined seeker strength
The defaults should be: Default of heat seekers is 3.0 and for aspect seekers 2.0

I don't recall seeing anything where the bomb flag interacted with seeker/cm strengths. But that doesn't mean that there isn't something in the missile tracking code that causes bombs to ignore the seeker/cm code... (I haven't checked it in enough detail to find out)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Bombs don't seem to ignore the seeker/cm code! I just wanted to be sure. In my tests "pulls aspect seekers" is working VERY nicely.

I'm curious why we don't see more bombs getting nulled by cms in retail if they only have seeker 2.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
There is a default 300m effective radius for CMs (i.e. they don't affect missiles outside that radius) and there wouldn't be that many fighters popping CMs close to bombs not targeted at them.  And then there's the previous aspect behaviour where the bombs would go dumbfire, even if they get spoofed they'll probably still hit the capship (or be shot down by PD for long range AI shots).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, that was my thinking too. It's just curious that in all these years nobody's been like 'my bomb inexplicably whiffed' after some Manticore went tearing past, burping countermeasures to dodge a Harpoon, and caused their bomb to cruise past a moving Cain. Not unlikely - just curious!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
300m is very close, even in FS. And Bombs can hardly turn. Besides, any Manticore that moves in front of bomber's guns probably isn't gonna live long enough to pop that CM. :)

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Suddenly I'm anticipating a BP mission where Pegasi sneak up on a friendly frigate and start popping CMs next to the VLS launchers.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
This might be a dumb question, but can my own CM affect my own bombs if I hit CM right after launch?
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Nah - they're IFF keyed and should only affect hostile bombs/missiles.
----
----