Author Topic: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition  (Read 62578 times)

Offline CT27

Re: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition
In addition to what I recently posted, I encountered what might have been a glitch that actually helped me.

On "Burning Skies...", the Neya is always supposed to explode, correct?  Well, I just played it through the techroom and the Neya survived and never exploded.  I only lost one other warship so I got the achievement for that mission.

Weird huh?

So, I played this through a little while back. Mostly for the simple reason that I just wanted to fight the Nightmares, to be perfectly honest.  :p It was good -- far better than I was really expecting based on the first couple missions. (It took me a week or two to return to it after playing those -- first, I had to figure out how to switch the zoom key because I use D for yaw right, and then I ran into a bug on the second mission where landing on the carrier wouldn't end it, and it was a long mission so I didn't want to restart right away. When I finally did, it worked fine.)

And the writing was honestly quite good. On a small scale, anyway. Large-scale, the plot is almost identical to FS2, except that destroying the Sath-equivalent actually works.
Spoiler:
(Until the secret missions, anyway, which I haven't really played.)

Two questions. One: why'd you name it the Hiven? It's...not a very compelling or scary name, and I always just ended up thinking of an NPC from Star Trek Online (although that part is hardly your fault). I was expecting it to be the name of some demon or something, but Google didn't turn up anything. Is it just derived from "hive"?

Question two: what's the track labeled "ToYptWE", or something along those lines? It's used as the main battle music in the mission where the Nightmares first appear. It sounds Mass-Effect-y, but I wasn't able to find it in the ME2 OST.

Offline Nyctaeus

• Betrayal is his middle name
  • Addicted to this place, this people, and this game
    • Exile
To be honest, Hiven and numerous names in SG are actually... Lingular abominations I created when I was younger and didn't know how to name ships properly. It's hard to believe, but my english was even worse :P. Hiven is going to be renamed to NJ Vichama in the further update, alongside with ND Darkhorn that is gonna be named ND Requiem. More crap like that is waiting for us in further updates.

As for the track, it's actually ToEDwYD if I remeber correctly. It's Modern Warfare 2 soundtrack from The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday mission. I actually don't like that, and want to replace it with something different.

Perhaps in further updates. Now first act of Exile is our priority.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | DA Profile | P3D Profile

MY RELEASED CONTENT SO FAR
Old Conversions | GTSD Anchorage | ORFg Tychicus | GTCa Sagittarius | SCv Scylla | EFC Evangelist | EFFg Solomon | GTL Latona | SC Raguel | PVD Atum | GTCv Eurynome | FractalSpace - Apophysis Skydome Pack
All of my stuff can be used ONLY in Freespace campaigns and missions.

I used to be known here as Betrayal. I'm 3D Modeller, Texture Artist, Model Converter, General Modder, Tabeler, Storyline Consultant and Wiki Maintainer. Sorry for my bad english.

Yeah, Darkhorn struck me as odd at first as well.

Thanks. Personally, I really liked it. Samara's theme fit the Nightmares really well, too.

Oh, and I still had the issue people mentioned earlier in the thread with the Meshulam's main beam. Sometimes dual Penetrators would do full damage and destroy it, but most of the time they'd only do like eleven percent. And there didn't seem to be much consistency with the angle.

Offline Nyctaeus

• Exile
SG was never supposed to be easy :P. In fact it's firing angle related issue, but also a problem with Meshulam [and Eliyahus too] main beam submodel. It's composed of four long spikes, and pivot point is in the middle of them. Penetrator is always targetting the pivot point, so you have to have one of four spikes between you and center of submodel. The best way to have hole-in-one is proper positioning. 45 degrees on every direction from basic Z axis of the ship will solve the problem.

Use HyPAcS! I mean, really! It's extremely powerfull weapon, well suited for sniper combat model in later SG missions. Excellent against bombers, and main beams of Nightmare warships alike.

Old Conversions | GTSD Anchorage | ORFg Tychicus | GTCa Sagittarius | SCv Scylla | EFC Evangelist | EFFg Solomon | GTL Latona | SC Raguel | PVD Atum | GTCv Eurynome | FractalSpace - Apophysis Skydome Pack

I used to be known here as Betrayal. I'm 3D Modeller, Texture Artist, Model Converter, General Modder, Tabeler, Storyline Consultant and Wiki Maintainer. Sorry for my bad english.

I use keyboard-only, the downside of which is that primary targeting at extreme long range is very very difficult. I did have a lot of success with the Hellion and especially the Titan, but the HyPAcS just had too low a rate of fire and too high an energy drain to be much use to me, even though I tend to really enjoy those types of weapons for close-range dogfighting.

Ah, so it's about the angle of rotation around the beam, not something getting in the way. That's useful info, thanks.

Offline Nyctaeus

• Exile
I will replace the beam in some further update. Maybe also start to upgrade Nightmares' models at all.