Author Topic: Players, how do you feel about me?  (Read 10180 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Players, how do you feel about me?
My concern here is, Lorric, is that you seem rather pushy in my eyes. In your own words you 'chase' the people down that don't hold themselves to the (your) plan.
In this post: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85046.msg1706272#msg1706272 you are telling everyone action for action what you 'recommend' they should be doing. And you have a tendency to directly question a person doing something that is suboptimal in your eyes. Such as here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85046.msg1706340#msg1706340 I understand your motives but its really easy to look at this as if you are trying to put pressure on an other player into doing things your way.

I want every player to have some degree of agency and I want everyone to feel that they are fully in control of their own fleet. And not just copy pasting someone elses plan because they sorta feel pressured into doing so.
As Enioch said, it's a thin line. And I think you'll be on the right side of the line if you take his advice on the way you word/present your plans.
I feel pressured. The deadlines mean I have to chase. And that was before your latest post.

I'm still not sure how better to do it. I can try and follow the suggestions, but what happens when the clock is ticking down, especially now the heirarchy have decided to get all ruthless, the clock ticks down, and the clock means death if we're not ready...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
If you are feeling pressured then you may be taking this game a bit too seriously.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

If you are feeling pressured then you may be taking this game a bit too seriously.
I know what you're saying, but if I don't do it, the game will end in short order. And I love the game.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Losing is an important part of all games.
el hombre vicio...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I know what you're saying, but if I don't do it, the game will end in short order.

There's a reason very few people actually field an optimized build when they're just playing at the Friendly Local Game Shop.

They're playing for fun.

Your going all Mathhammer on this, while interesting and somewhat impressive...is not necessarily fun, as you've discovered.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Flak

I haven't play so nothing from me. I just enjoy snarking so I am also having fun.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
It's a bit sad to see tension rise up even though this is supposed to be just a casual little occasion to have fun. I think the best way to handle this situation is transparency and openness, confronting the matter head-on.

I find it extremely unlikely that you, Lorric, are acting out of malice or have any intent to hijack the game. I do think, however, that you're overworking yourself a little. There's really no need to get stressed out. Maybe we beat the Hierarchy, maybe not, maybe something else entirely happens. Just relax a little, and let things play out. On the other hand, no one is going to hate you for making some suggestions for moves. It's a good idea to have a coordinated strategy, and to have someone take the initiative when it comes to working together. Even simple things like agreeing to focus on one enemy can help.

Now, I'm not much of a tabletop player or experienced roleplayer, so I'm not at all reluctant to accept advice when it seems sound. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this, however. We're in the same community, and we should act that way.

Offline Lorric

It's a bit sad to see tension rise up even though this is supposed to be just a casual little occasion to have fun. I think the best way to handle this situation is transparency and openness, confronting the matter head-on.

I find it extremely unlikely that you, Lorric, are acting out of malice or have any intent to hijack the game. I do think, however, that you're overworking yourself a little. There's really no need to get stressed out. Maybe we beat the Hierarchy, maybe not, maybe something else entirely happens. Just relax a little, and let things play out. On the other hand, no one is going to hate you for making some suggestions for moves. It's a good idea to have a coordinated strategy, and to have someone take the initiative when it comes to working together. Even simple things like agreeing to focus on one enemy can help.

Now, I'm not much of a tabletop player or experienced roleplayer, so I'm not at all reluctant to accept advice when it seems sound. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this, however. We're in the same community, and we should act that way.
Thank you Torchwood. I'm still feeling shy about this, but you and the others are washing my paralysing apprehension away. I think I will try something in the thread sometime soon.

Transparency and openness, confronting the matter head-on. That's pretty much my MO on just about everything, so no complaints there! :)

I have been thinking about this too, and I may have some idea about how to help with that, overwork/stress, we'll see. The wheels have been turning in my head on that the last couple days or so.

Thank you for your kind words. I also am inexperienced with tabletop/role playing games. But I do like strategy games.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Lorric, I feel you are just whoring your post count.

And the only wod relevance I see here is Spoon's occasional opinions.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Lorric

Lorric, I feel you are just whoring your post count.

And the only wod relevance I see here is Spoon's occasional opinions.
I don't know what to say to this, other than I reject it 100%.

I don't think you understand what this thread is about.

And you are not in the game either (unless something has changed) so why are you here? This is what makes me think you don't understand.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
You both are about to start a stupid discussion, so stop.

good... now kiss :drevil:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Lorric

You both are about to start a stupid discussion, so stop.

good... now kiss :drevil:
I probably wouldn't have even responded to it if it wasn't just so random and out of nowhere with a possibility that he is under a misunderstanding.

You want me to kiss him? Why?  :confused:  :ick:  :lol:

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Just messing around a little.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Lorric

Just messing around a little.