Author Topic: Translation requests  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Is anyone interested in providing translation services for Silent Threat: Reborn?

Yarn has diligently organized all of the various FS1 translations into an XSTR pack that will be included in the upcoming release of the Port.  Currently, we have German, French, Polish, and Spanish translations of the FS1 main campaign.  Thanks to a Spanish gaming community, we also have a translation of ST:R, as they had already made their own translation pack and generously agreed to allow us to include it as an official download.  But we don't have ST:R in any other language.

This is not a small job... there are about 1000 entries in the tstrings file for Silent Threat: Reborn, as well as about 100 miscellaneous strings that for some reason weren't translated in the FS1 language packs.  (Spanish translation would still be appreciated for these remaining lines even though ST:R is already done.)

Any volunteers? :)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
If time is not a pressing matter, I'd volunteer for Latin-Spanish translation.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You can count on me in case of polish translation. As I replied in PM.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Dysko

I can do the Italian translation, both for FS1 and ST:R (and FS2 too), but AFAIK the Italian FS2 community is... well, just me and Mobius.
If you are still interested just send me the needed files, as of now I just have a couple of free hours in the evening but I can do it.

Does FSO have problem with accented letters? Italian language has a lot of words with accented letters (not as many as French language, but they are still a lot).
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Yarn

Does FSO have problem with accented letters? Italian language has a lot of words with accented letters (not as many as French language, but they are still a lot).
Assuming the original FreeSpace was never released in Italian (was it?), the font files that will be used are linked to in this post. The same post also lists what characters are supported by those fonts.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Dysko

Assuming the original FreeSpace was never released in Italian (was it?), the font files that will be used are linked to in this post. The same post also lists what characters are supported by those fonts.
There was indeed an "Italian edition" (I received it as a Christmas present the year FS2 was released), but only the box and the manual were translated, the game itself was in English. I remember FREDding missions in Italian, and the corresponding accented character didn't appear at all (except for one letter that gave me the "Matching speed" symbol  :blah:).

Italian language uses mostly grave accents, rarely acute accents, always in the last letter of the word (except for words imported from other languages, the French word élite comes to mind), so as long as lowercase accented letters are supported it's fine. However, if retail compatibility is needed (e.g. ST:R), looks like I'll have to use e' instead of è. I will lose the difference between grave and acute accents, but heck, 99% of mothertongue Italians don't know the difference either :lol:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:40:55 pm by Dysko »
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Yarn

Accented letters won't break retail compatibility, so feel free to use them. It's just the fonts that require FSO. In fact, no languages other than English, German, French, and Polish can be made to work in retail, at least not with FS2's localization system, so an Italian translation will definitely require FSO.

The only characters that you need to be careful to avoid using are semicolons, double quotes, and dollar signs (the last of which may be used only as part of color tags). All other ASCII characters as well as all non-ASCII characters in the list that I linked to are OK.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Luis Dias

I will contribute for portuguese translations, just don't press me on the time issue, I'll do them a few at a time.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Wasn't there an FSO patch that made FS compatible with all character types? Like utf's and such? Spanish is also quite dependant on accentuated wording.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Yarn

Wasn't there an FSO patch that made FS compatible with all character types? Like utf's and such? Spanish is also quite dependant on accentuated wording.
You mean this patch? All that does is allow languages other than English, German, French, and Polish to be used; it doesn't expand what characters are usable, nor does it add support for Unicode or any other encodings.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yeah I think that's the one, I probably misunderstood the implications.

Hey Goob hit me on pm's if you want me to give it a go at translations, unfortunately I'm not that much active on the forums these days and I might miss the reply.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yarn did such a fine job on importing the FS1 translations that I've asked him to handle the ST:R ones as well. :)  He'll contact the interested parties.

Offline snake60

In for da french part if needed  ;)

Payment in cookies only :D