Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 592997 times)

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
Of which year though? ;)

When the set of real numbers rolls over and we count back up to 1849.

Offline Mikes

It wouldn't be the first time that a major update, after several delays and adjusted dates .... gets scrapped entirely - for months or forever. (Star Marine & Squadron 42 vertical slice for instance.)

But if they pull that again with 3.0 I'd say that would be the point where the majority of backers finally snap.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/damien-cox/star-citizen-alpha-3-0-might-launch-october-after-three-delays/

You guys misunderstood us. We didn't say September, we meant October.
I love how the one 'critical' bug they show is some flikkering lights. Wow, critical! Unlike say, commando's clipping through their chariots on a whim. Doors being merely suggestions. Character models turning into horrible abominations.

Critical fixing of some light showing black dots. Now we're really getting the core gameplay ready!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I have it on good authority that the actual official for-realsies launch date is Marchtember Oneteenth.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Is that the same date as december 19th 2015-2016?
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The citizens are commenting that saying the patch being delayed is misleading because it's still in alpha.

I think the main issue here is that it's taken five years to get to alpha version 3.0.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Development only started last year though.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I think you mean that development hasn't even really started yet. I mean, obviously you spend five years and who knows how much money just to prepare to start development, and if you think there's another way to make a game, you obviously don't understand game development.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I think you mean that development hasn't even really started yet.

Hey, now!  They've got eye stabilization and jello physics and.....promotional images.....

Offline Mikes

I think you mean that development hasn't even really started yet.

Hey, now!  They've got eye stabilization and jello physics and.....promotional images.....

And it works!!!!!!!

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
They've also got Mark Hamill and Gary Oldman! Member that awesome speech Gary Oldman gave as Admiral whothe****?!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

So apparantly 3.0 is in the hands of the avocado's, and they put a watermark in there. So cig can identify if someone is spreading leaks.
Because you know, open development, can't have leaks of a janky alpha build that backers have poured millions into or something. I dont even know anymore.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Mikes

So apparantly 3.0 is in the hands of the avocado's, and they put a watermark in there. So cig can identify if someone is spreading leaks.
Because you know, open development, can't have leaks of a janky alpha build that backers have poured millions into or something. I dont even know anymore.

Anyone still wanna take bets if it's ever gonna be released to regular backers or if some serious "blockers" suddenly pop up that prevent a major release? ;-)

one of the avocados leaked

it's exactly as bad as you'd expect
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Q: How's the network performance?

A: It differs between builds. We're at patch 3.0.0d and I've been getting an average of ~40 FPS in the US server, 20 FPS in the EU server and 15 FPS in the AUS server. I'm testing with a GTX980, Intel i7 and 32GB RAM. As always, the FPS drops down 10-15 FPS when the server is full.
Shocking.

Q: How's cargo?

A: We can interact with cargo strewn about in derelicts and mission sites, but shopping/selling cargo isn't fleshed out yet.
I mean, why would it be. It's only been over 5 years in the making. Why would anything be fleshed out at this point?

Q: How's the Nox and other bikes?

A: The Nox is very uncontrollable and tends to flip to its side. The DF can spawn upside down and is jerky at best. Both bikes can be placed inside the Cutlass and other multicrew ships, but getting them inside in one piece without dying is very challenging. The URSA I have not tested because there's a known issue with the ASOP terminals where some ships don't show up even though they're available in the patch.
Same good old janky starcitizen.

Q: How's the moons?

A: Tricky to get to atm. When first QTing to a moon, the ship stops about 500km away, so you have to go back to the star map app and select 1 of 6 bouys or "OMs" to get closer to them. Then you have to max out your ship's speed with AB to travel about 100km to reach an outpost or station. For example, from Port Olisar to Levski, you select Delamar as your destination on the star map app, then after arriving you select OM3 to get close to Levski, then after that you point your ship towards where Levski should be and you wait about 5 minutes in max speed to get to the vicinity of Levski where you can ping the ATC guy to give you a hangar to land on. The moons themselves only have 5-7 outposts marked on the star map, but there are roads, derelicts and un-marked buildings that you can explore just by flying around. Other than that, the moons are very sparse between marked outposts and bikes are too buggy to effectively roam around moons.
Ho boy, how fun and immersive this sounds to play!

Q: You mentioned there are NPCs in the build?

A: Yes, patch 3.0.0a had them roaming around doing their own business in Port Olisar and Levski, but they were buggy and get stuck in doors. In later patches, CIG decided to freeze them in a line in Port Olisar, so we'd make memes about them in ETF Spectrum. You can't interact with them yet, and Miles spits out the same greeting line at Levski.
I'd be more suprised if any of these things actually worked.

Q: How's oxygen and stamina?

A: Like I said, there's an o2 meter showing a blue bar that depletes over time and how fast your pace is. There's also an oxygen timer on the front page of the mobiglass showing how much oxygen you have like 1H:50M:26S. Stamina is dependent on your o2 levels and is influenced by how fast you walk/jog. You use the scroll wheel to change your pace from casual walk to power walking to lazy jog to normal jog. The sprint button is still the left shift key and it drains your stamina & oxygen the fastest among the paces. There's a heart rate graph on your helmet HUD that quickens depending on how fast and how long you sprint and what pieces of armor you wear. If you don't heed the heart rate graph and keep sprinting, your character slows to the casual walk, your vision goes blurry, and you have to wait for your heart rate to go down before you resume. This will be great for Star Marine.

Being able to pass out after a whole 5 seconds of sprinting. This will be great for star marine.  :lol:

Q: When do you think 3.0 will go to PTU?

A: Honestly, don't expect it in November. We're still only focusing tests on traversal features. Shopping and the mission system still needs a lot of work, NPCs are broken af, ships are buggy af, crashes and 30001 errors happen every day, and even traversal is buggy with some ships not having QT fuel nor not enough to get anywhere interesting.
But... this was suppose to be the great savior patch, the chosen one. Croberts promised us!

Star citizen: Honestly, don't expect it ever.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Just so i'm sure, nobody here is still buying it?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mikes

But... this was suppose to be the great savior patch, the chosen one. Croberts promised us!

Star citizen: Honestly, don't expect it ever.

The similarities of the ETA of Star Citizen's release and the ETA discussed in the "end of the world" threads that we also have on this board are priceless.

"This time it's gonna happen for sure! Really!!! This is the date, it has to be, all the signs say so!!!!"

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Apparently the FPS is significantly improved in the very most recent patch.

Just so i'm sure, nobody here is still buying it?

Well, I spent all of $20 on it, for the whole "PU + SQ42" package. (At the time, I figured I was willing to pay that to get access to Arena Commander... this was right before Elite was released and I was feeling real hungry for 6DOF combat). I'm not going to bother backing out of $20, and Arena Commander was decently fun for a few hours.

Besides, I haven't given up on the hope that some reasonably-fun game is going to emerge. Eventually.

Offline CT27

I was hoping we'd at least get SQ42 at some point.  It's been a while since a decent space sim was released (outside of the modding scene here of course)...I'd love to play a WC/FS2/X-Wing (heck even Starlancer) type of game again.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I actually reeaaaally enjoyed starlancer aside from the lack of freedom between missions to roam the carrier WC3 style.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png