Author Topic: Let's talk about the front page!  (Read 10423 times)

Re: Let's talk about the front page!
One other thing: the images show a lot of warships duking it out from a distance, but maybe it'd be better to have an actual ingame screenshot with HUD and everything, at least for the introduction? Would mesh better with the "unleash your inner starfighter pilot" line to see someone actually being a pilot rather than an observer :)

I also think that Freespace needs to make a bigger appearance. The word itself - like in one of the images. If this site is all about Freespace and Freespace modding, that should be pretty overwhelmingly clear.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
One other thing: the images show a lot of warships duking it out from a distance, but maybe it'd be better to have an actual ingame screenshot with HUD and everything, at least for the introduction? Would mesh better with the "unleash your inner starfighter pilot" line to see someone actually being a pilot rather than an observer :)

No. FS HUD is ugly.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

FS1 maybe, but FS2 looks pretty decent if you take some time to colorize it. Not even the whole HUD, but just the center reticle stuff with someone firing on other fighters. I mean, if you can't even show off what the game looks like to an actual player, what's that say?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
But in Freespace, the HUD isn't what the game looks like. We don't generally use cockpit models or anything similar. The HUD is just textual information pasted to the screen in front of what the game looks like. The HUD helps you play the game, it does not help you see it. You can take any one of those screenshots and slap an FS HUD on it and it will be exactly the same except with an obstructed view.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
For site design images, no HUD. But if we have a little gallery of "Hey, this is what the game looks like these days!" (which we should have, but perhaps not necessary to launch with that), then sure, HUD would be acceptable.

That said, the images are basically placeholders - I just picked some from the Screenshot contest wiki page that I thought would work in the various situations. I really really want to have a nice background video - perhaps done at a somewhat low resolution but with that horizontal scanlines effect, to offset the low res? Not sure if that's clear... whatever, anyway, background video, which only gets initialized on... tablet? desktop? sizes and up.

I have an idea for the "steps" section, gimme a bit. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm working on something that could be that video. I'll be able to do more after my mod is out because I need to play lots of other mods to record footage.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'm working on something that could be that video. I'll be able to do more after my mod is out because I need to play lots of other mods to record footage.

Sounds like what I had in mind... a bunch of 5-10 second highlight clips?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah basically. However, do not feel like you're stepping on toes if you randomly have time and decide to do it yourself! Codehulu knows I've got a long list of projects to finish around here.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I don't have anything like the resources or tools necessary to do it, sorry. :-/

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Just wanted to make note of this; I'll try to see if I can integrate most of this stuff into the frontpage design.

http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/31097/12-Critical-Elements-Every-Homepage-Must-Have-Infographic.aspx#sm.00000z6h3mw9gafnzv3946h6rh6k9