thank you for your review! It's good to see that you liked the way I tried to form the characters and give them some life and background.
2. Yes that's an idea I might think of. Not destroying all of the engines but instead deactivating the thruster status of some of them might work.
3. Ooops, I forgot to lock the weapons of these squadrons. I locked the ships so you can't see the icons/ships (i.e. Gamma wing in M 3 (The Bait), but not the weapons. My idea is to let you just chose the weapons of the Flying Pumpkins, so the others should be locked. This will come on my list
So first of all thanks for the helpful review.
I'm ashamed to tell you that this isn't on Knossos because I seem to be too stupid to upload the files. Didn't work when I tried it... After a revision, I will try this again. But if you know how this can be done feel free to upload it to Knossos (or anyone else).
I created the campaign with 3.7.4, but it's good to hear that there are no major issues with 3.8.0. The things you mentioned are not because of the versions, to clarify this. They are because of bugs/my mistakes during fredding.
Well it's nice to hear that you're interested in betatesting. I could really use another betatester once the sequel is ready. I think I am going to "split" the next campaign to enable betatesting for this part and can stat working on the second half. FaF 2 is getting much longer, but the first ~ 16 missions will be done within the next 2 months (13 are already done, just a few more to finish chapter 1). These missions will then be put together for a campaign file and sent to the betatesters. So if you wish I will come and talk to you once this is done and you can decide if you still want to help. During the next 8 weeks I won't have much time due to a pending exam I have to write, but after May 16th, there's plenty of time
And since I'm not a native speaker myself, my english really isn't better than yours
FS2 Open Coding - The Source Code Project (SCP) / Re: The Internet Sucks: Or, What I Learned Coding X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter« Last post by X3N0-Life-Form on March 19, 2018, 04:29:34 am »
IIRC one of my network lesson from a few years back was "don't be fooled by today's bandwidth : don't use TCP unless you absolutely have to, or unless you're on LAN", so I'm guessing the internet hasn't changed all that much.
Played same song to my 16 week old son to take his mind off getting upset in the bath, his expression beat that gif of the girl giving the disapproving look.
Here's my review:
The limited loadout and ships to use also makes me feel the very limited logistical background and because of that is a must to choose selectively the weapons and ships of the squadrons and give them orders in-mission accordingly, also it was a pretty good detail the fact that any additional effort in fulfilling the bonus objectives come with the prize of new ships and weapons to choose, things that are insignificant in a normal military context because your superiors gives to you new equipment without any extra effort.
I liked a lot how you sticked to the Blue Planet lore, trying to use the unused assets and respecting the timeline of the events (i loved seeing for the first time the Sanctus MK2 and the Karuna MK2 in-game) and even trying to make a parallel story without affecting the events of the main story of the universe.
The character development is good, i also liked the development of the friendships of the protagonist, those very informal conversations gives an interesting change to the strictly military chatters of the original game.
Also, i think the choice of a second person narrative after and before the missions was very good, it's sounds strange in a book novel, but in a game it's fit perfectly IMO, because actually you are the protagonist.
And while it's true that in the last missions the story turns into a guerrilla warfare and winning it or not wouldn't make any significant change in the UEF-GTVA war, the emotional attachment that i felt in that stage was so good that i also wanted revenge against DuValle at any cost, the ending was superb (maybe a slightly cliche with the speech of "your friends will be always with you", but really i couldn't have done it better by myself, so i'm not really in a position to criticize that)
Now... talking about flaws in technical details of the missions, i've noticed these:
1. In Treasure Hunt II and Evidence, the briefing music keeps playing alongside the in-mission music.
2. In Sunrise, the Akebono's engines got all destroyed when it's hit by the shuttles, but magically all re-appears when her engines are repaired, it's a purely aesthetic detail (and considering the limitations of the engine i think there is not much that can be done for a visible reparation process) but maybe it may seem more realistic if only two engines get destroyed and the other two simply get turned off (if i recall correctly this can be done via SEXP) to then turn them on when the Akebono jumps, again, it's just a aesthetic detail.
3. In all missions where the Apollos are present in a squadron, their icons don't appear in the ship/loadout selection, however i can change their loadouts but not the ships.
Anyway, none of these disrupted my gameplay, and i'm not sure if the culprit are my files for the 1st and the 3rd (i have played with the 3.8.0 release and latest bpcomplete at the moment i'm writing this)
In general i felt the missions balance good (maybe Sunrise is a slightly hard, but if that was your intention then that's ok)
To end my review i only have one more thing to say... i want a sequel please ! i'm available to be a betatester if you want because it's hard to me to find a game (belonging or not to the space simulation genre) with a story similar to this mod, it's even difficult to me to find a series, movie, comic/manga or novel book of that type!
By the way, i tried to play the campaign via Knossos but it doesn't appear in the in-game list of campaigns when the mod is started (i have checked the file integrity and it tells me that everything is ok)
P.S. English it's not my first language, excuse me if i speak it bad (i will appreciate any corrections to my grammar)