Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Nightly Builds / Re: Nightly: 10 March 2018 - Revision f05a50f
« Last post by The E on March 19, 2018, 09:15:31 am »
Can we have screenshots and logs please?
Blue Planet / Re: AoA Fallen Angel
« Last post by General Battuta on March 19, 2018, 08:29:02 am »
I don’t think it’s the Lucifer doing it.
General Discussion / Re: *SPOILER THREAD* Ready Player One
« Last post by Aesaar on March 19, 2018, 08:12:28 am »
Wouldn't want to spoil this amazingly interesting and original work of fiction.
Mission & Campaign Releases / Re: [RELEASE] - Friends and Foes: Retribution
« Last post by bomb3rman on March 19, 2018, 07:50:13 am »
Hello kaptein,

thank you for your review! It's good to see that you liked the way I tried to form the characters and give them some life and background.

1. The briefing music seems to be a known issue with the "red alert" status. In a future update, the red-alert status will be replaced by using a ship-save script, so this problem will be gone when I find the time ro rework FaF 1.

2. Yes that's an idea I might think of. Not destroying all of the engines but instead deactivating the thruster status of some of them might work.

3. Ooops, I forgot to lock the weapons of these squadrons. I locked the ships so you can't see the icons/ships (i.e. Gamma wing in M 3 (The Bait), but not the weapons. My idea is to let you just chose the weapons of the Flying Pumpkins, so the others should be locked. This will come on my list :)

So first of all thanks for the helpful review.

I'm ashamed to tell you that this isn't on Knossos because I seem to be too stupid to upload the files. Didn't work when I tried it... After a revision, I will try this again. But if you know how this can be done feel free to upload it to Knossos (or anyone else).

I created the campaign with 3.7.4, but it's good to hear that there are no major issues with 3.8.0. The things you mentioned are not because of the versions, to clarify this. They are because of bugs/my mistakes during fredding.

Well it's nice to hear that you're interested in betatesting. I could really use another betatester once the sequel is ready. I think I am going to "split" the next campaign to enable betatesting for this part and can stat working on the second half. FaF 2 is getting much longer, but the first ~ 16 missions will be done within the next 2 months (13 are already done, just a few more to finish chapter 1). These missions will then be put together for a campaign file and sent to the betatesters. So if you wish I will come and talk to you once this is done and you can decide if you still want to help. During the next 8 weeks I won't have much time due to a pending exam I have to write, but after May 16th, there's plenty of time :)

But be warned, FaF 2 might take a huge step away from the Blue Planet universe ;)

And since I'm not a native speaker myself, my english really isn't better than yours  :P
Nightly Builds / Re: Nightly: 10 March 2018 - Revision f05a50f
« Last post by Trivial Psychic on March 19, 2018, 07:10:28 am »
I know it's been some time since this build was released, but I recently loaded a new build of FRED after a bit of a hiatus and noticed that many ships are being rendered empty.  After some experimentation I found that it wasn't empty, it's simply that come fighters with cockpits are having their cockpits rendered and nothing else.  For fighters with additional submodels, turrets and special details, these are being rendered as well.  I've also noticed on some larger, older models that are using tiling, certain textures aren't being rendered either.  I can't specifically nail down the exact issue, but I have traced the introduction of this bug to this build.  The March 7th build rendered properly.
Interesting read, I've got a soft spot for "let's make this do something it was absolutely not designed for" stories :P.

IIRC one of my network lesson from a few years back was "don't be fooled by today's bandwidth : don't use TCP unless you absolutely have to, or unless  you're on LAN", so I'm guessing the internet hasn't changed all that much.
General Discussion / Re: Music Thread 2018
« Last post by Colonol Dekker on March 19, 2018, 02:08:36 am »
Guarantees to make my morning commute 700% faster.

Played same song to my 16 week old son to take his mind off getting upset in the bath, his expression beat that gif of the girl giving the disapproving look.

Mission & Campaign Releases / Re: [RELEASE] - Friends and Foes: Retribution
« Last post by kaptein on March 19, 2018, 01:06:42 am »
First of all, when i finished playing this campaign i said "That was a very awesome campaign!"

Here's my review:

Hidden Text: Show
I really loved playing in the point of view of a merely normal ex-military pilot, it leaves aside the typical "chosen one" protagonist POV (or the chosen one that don't want to follow his destiny), it even leaves aside the typical new military pilot POV of the original games and personally i relate more to a civil type of character, making me more involved with the story.

The limited loadout and ships to use also makes me feel the very limited logistical background and because of that is a must to choose selectively the weapons and ships of the squadrons and give them orders in-mission accordingly, also it was a pretty good detail the fact that any additional effort in fulfilling the bonus objectives come with the prize of new ships and weapons to choose, things that are insignificant in a normal military context because your superiors gives to you new equipment without any extra effort.

I liked a lot how you sticked to the Blue Planet lore, trying to use the unused assets and respecting the timeline of the events (i loved seeing for the first time the Sanctus MK2 and the Karuna MK2 in-game) and even trying to make a parallel story without affecting the events of the main story of the universe.

The character development is good, i also liked the development of the friendships of the protagonist, those very informal conversations gives an interesting change to the strictly military chatters of the original game.

Also, i think the choice of a second person narrative after and before the missions was very good, it's sounds strange in a book novel, but in a game it's fit perfectly IMO, because actually you are the protagonist.

And while it's true that in the last missions the story turns into a guerrilla warfare and winning it or not wouldn't make any significant change in the UEF-GTVA war, the emotional attachment that i felt in that stage was so good that i also wanted revenge against DuValle at any cost, the ending was superb (maybe a slightly cliche with the speech of "your friends will be always with you", but really i couldn't have done it better by myself, so i'm not really in a position to criticize that)

Now... talking about flaws in technical details of the missions, i've noticed these:

1. In Treasure Hunt II and Evidence, the briefing music keeps playing alongside the in-mission music.

2. In Sunrise, the Akebono's engines got all destroyed when it's hit by the shuttles, but magically all re-appears when her engines are repaired, it's a purely aesthetic detail (and considering the limitations of the engine i think there is not much that can be done for a visible reparation process) but maybe it may seem more realistic if only two engines get destroyed and the other two simply get turned off (if i recall correctly this can be done via SEXP) to then turn them on when the Akebono jumps, again, it's just a aesthetic detail.

3. In all missions where the Apollos are present in a squadron, their icons don't appear in the ship/loadout selection, however i can change their loadouts but not the ships.

Anyway, none of these disrupted my gameplay, and i'm not sure if the culprit are my files for the 1st and the 3rd (i have played with the 3.8.0 release and latest bpcomplete at the moment i'm writing this)

In general i felt the missions balance good (maybe Sunrise is a slightly hard, but if that was your intention then that's ok)

To end my review i only have one more thing to say... i want a sequel please :D! i'm available to be a betatester if you want because it's hard to me to find a game (belonging or not to the space simulation genre) with a story similar to this mod, it's even difficult to me to find a series, movie, comic/manga or novel book of that type!

By the way, i tried to play the campaign via Knossos but it doesn't appear in the in-game list of campaigns when the mod is started (i have checked the file integrity and it tells me that everything is ok)

P.S. English it's not my first language, excuse me if i speak it bad (i will appreciate any corrections to my grammar)
Blue Planet / AoA Fallen Angel
« Last post by sunnyB on March 18, 2018, 11:22:43 pm »
So just a question of curiosity,
In insane/hard mode, you can't actually get a good lock with bombs due to the Lucifer constantly emp-ing you everytime you are within target range?
Multiplayer / Re: Any interest in testing the original/new PXO?
« Last post by PIe on March 18, 2018, 10:47:50 pm »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10