Author Topic: BattleTech Megathread - Because HLP Should Have One Too  (Read 25293 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: BattleTech Megathread - Because HLP Should Have One Too
Battletech is a bad game, Alpha Strike looks like it might be a good game, so I like reading about it and I support your decisions.

Of course this is dependent on the idea that simulationist is always a bad choice.

Wrongo! It is dependent on entirely different things!

I'm happy to play simulationist games of any stripe, if I can play them as fast as a round of Dominion or a game of Twilight Struggle and have an equivalent density of fun times and interesting choices.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
What's all these Alpha strike mechs of the whenever today?

And you Battuta, go away
Shun the nonbeliever SHUUUUUN.

Has anyone here tried doing space combat under AS?
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I posted my entire backlog, so the next one will be tomorrow evening when I write up the Catapult.

I'm pretty sure Battuta enjoys BattleTech on the whole if not in the mechanical details of the boardgame, or he would not be in this thread.  The setting behind it is probably one of the most internally consistent, long running, and thoroughly explored science fiction settings in gaming, and probably science fiction in general.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, I grew up on the fiction and played a bunch of Battletech before I knew better. My attraction to Alpha Strike is partly the desire to fight battles like the good ones in the books! (althooo Thunder Rift does a good job of staying at Battletech scale)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Ironically, Alpha Strike plays more like book battles than the standard game does.  Nobody cares (except Michael Stackpole) whether the autocannon burst shot 5/8ths of a ton of armor off of the explicitly defined left rear torso of a given 'Mech.  Narratively speaking, a given heavy 'Mech taking fire from two or three smaller 'Mechs, receiving three or four points of damage, and being forced to withdraw in the face of a superior force is much, much closer to the novels than an Orion not giving any ****s whatsoever when a Stinger hits it with a Machine Gun.

Offline BirdofPrey

Interestingly, the big reason I have trouble getting my group to play AS, is because a given mech taking fire from two or three others doesn't get to walk away (having just ended up being atomized) at all in their view, where under TW it might be heavily crippled and useless, and surrender.

Some of these are views held over from quick strike, though, which was less thorough in that regard, and, more importantly for the group, lacked proper after action rules for repair and salvage.  Everything dead, was gone.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline qwadtep

I think I built a kick-ass Mad Cat out of LEGOs when I was a kid without knowing what BattleTech even was.
Sadly I can't find the instructions online again.

I think I built a kick-ass Mad Cat out of LEGOs when I was a kid without knowing what BattleTech even was.
Sadly I can't find the instructions online again.

The Timber Wolf is my all time favorite mech, and probably a lot of people's... But if you want to build it again, you know you'll just have to use your

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Ironically, Alpha Strike plays more like book battles than the standard game does.

And suddenly nothing could be further from the truth!

Most of Stackpole's battles were directly tabletopped out, it's true. The small-scale battles in Grave Covenant, for example (one of them even appears in The Dragon Roars book), or the Awesome vs. Victor shootout and Yorinaga Kurita vs. Morgan Kell during the Warrior Trilogy.

However your assumption here is gravely in error, because the books were carefully considered on this point. As an exercise the DSC forums went through the entirety of the Twilight of the Clans series once and did the Mathhammer to determine how accurate to the tabletop all the battles were. Only one didn't pass, in Exodus Road. That was the reason I actually learned the AeroTech 2 rules, so I could evaluate the WarShip combats attending Operation Serpent since the only other person who knew them outright wasn't interested in the project. (They pass with flying colors.) As a personal thing I applied similar logic to Operation Audacity once, because something struck me as wrong; it passed when I broke out the rulebooks to check.

Alpha Strike, by way of contrast, really doesn't work for some of the longer campaigns in the books precisely because of the mechanics regarding the interaction of large and small 'Mechs you've described. The "weight decay" you see in large-scale battles or long campaigns where the small get knocked out first just doesn't play out in Alpha Strike as people combine fire to knock out the large 'Mechs first in ways that are not feasible in the original rules.

Someone checked to make sure the armor values and weapon damages all added up at the end of the day, at least in the old novels. The stuff since Dark Age hasn't been as rigorous.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:44:50 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No that's exactly the truth because nobody has time to play book-scale battles in Battletech.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
No that's exactly the truth because nobody has time to play book-scale battles in Battletech.

You are speaking to the man who owns and has used a RCT in original scale several times.

You are also misreading the books very badly. Pay attention to the level of actual focus in large-scale actions; we might have regiments throwing down but the actual focus of the book is never on that action; it's usually on the experiences of a single pilot and perhaps those immediately around them. The majority of Tukkayid plays out via the experiences of Phelan Kell's star or Focht observing the action from the point of view of one of his unit's 'Mechs for a reason.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Let's not play the worst game, turf-grabbing claims that haven't even been examined yet.

The books have an immense amount of scope creep. Tukkayid may be POV'd from a mech cockpit, but Battletech is a simulation, not a narrativist game: you can't play 'I want to be Victor, let's fight three mechs while abstracting the other guys.' The engagements being simulated aren't always small, whether you're reading Wolves on the Border or Endgame. The NAIS cadre getting pounded to **** by artillery or the Falcon Guards accidentally lasering one of the Saturday morning cartoon guy's DropShips or, well, any fight that's bigger than lance on lance takes a long time and a lot of boring die rolls to play out on tabletop. And it gets even worse since a lot of the book dynamics rely on double-blind rules.

Playing an RCT at original scale is a great way to demo this. You could spend your 2 days of looking up skid modifiers running a couple games of Twilight Imperium or drilling through the ouevre of Vlaada Chvatil or holding a Dominion tournament. Game design made huge strides since the 80s. Battletech old. Battletech bad. And Settlers of Catan too, Settlers is bad. And Risk. And Talisman. And Arkham Horror.

The universe is cool, though.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Battletech can produce amazing fun, it just can't be relied upon to do so.

One time I was given command of a company of Death Commandos in a twelve-on~twelve game with eight or ten players who I'd never met. On the very first turn I got double boxcarred by a max range PPC and died. Everyone at the table hunched over and stared at me in a terrible anticipatory hush because this is the grief that makes nerds rage. But I was a cool dapper man and I turned to my XO and said 'Well, we're not called Life Commandos!'

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Main characters get standard scale fights.  Battles and campaigns and operations get Alpha Strike level fights.  If I was particularly attached to a character or unit of my own creation, or had a hands down favorite in the fluff, I might prefer standard scale fights.  Instead, I like paying company size games in an hour and a half, and battalion size games in four hours.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hey guys can we try to win battles and games instead of discussions

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No. I am postwarrior. This is my batchall

Offline BirdofPrey

This thread is now for story time.

One of my favorite games was WoB attack on Galatea.   We were doing an orbital drop and 1/3 of our force blew their rolls and crashed.   My sole unit to make it down safely had another crash on its head.

So we did a redo.  In that one we made it down safely.   I had a hussar that manged to put a PPC into a pristine nightstar's head.  A few turns later, the nightstar hasn't taken any more damage and my hussar ended up on a hill next to it.

Boot to the head, nightstar dead to a scout mech.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Purge the Clanners, we Inner Sphere now.

Come get me, pod-jockeys!
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Today, jymset (Catalyst project lead for all Experimental Technical Readouts) referred to me as "the master of Alpha Strike".

Kinda freaking out.

Offline BirdofPrey

Is that why your title is "Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FLWM" (and shouldn't that me FWLM)?