Author Topic: Network Settings Not Saving  (Read 4399 times)

Offline Biotox

Network Settings Not Saving
Whenever I click to go into the multiplayer room it tells me I have not defined my type of internet connection. All my settings reset each time I close the FS2 Open  launcher. Does anyone have a solution to this? I am running windows 10.

Re: Network Settings Not Saving
Which launcher are you using? There are several, and one of them, the old Launcher 5.5g, is not compatible with anything past Windows 7, as I recall.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Biotox

The launcher that keeps resetting is the one with the paw icon. Although I get the same message if I start it using the WX launcher as well.

The paw icon is the obsolete launcher 5.5g I mentioned earlier. As for wxLauncher, you might try finding the flag for alternate registry path and see if that helps. Someone else would know better how to troubleshoot than I. Also, you might want to find the wxLauncher thread elsewhere on the forums and report this issue if nobody else answers here.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I got the same issue here.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The network settings need to be set up in the Launcher. So just run wxLauncher and set them. You should be fine after that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
But, I still get the same message in game saying that I have not defined my type of internet connection.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Which version of wxLauncher are you using? If you're using an older version, try 0.12-rc.2.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I'm using 0.12-rc.2 version of wxLauncher. I'm using the latest nightly build of FSO.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I know topic is a bit old but I had the same problem using wxlauncher RC2 and checking the "use alternate registry path" fixed the issue for me (I thought that FSO no longer uses registry as of 3.8.0??)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I know topic is a bit old but I had the same problem using wxlauncher RC2 and checking the "use alternate registry path" fixed the issue for me (I thought that FSO no longer uses registry as of 3.8.0??)
It doesn't, unless fs2open.ini doesn't exist (but if you're using wxLauncher 0.12-rc.2, then it should). So unless something strange is happening (wxLauncher doesn't have permission to create the .ini file, maybe?), "use alternate registry path" shouldn't affect anything.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Fs2open.ini does exist but I don't know why checking this option solve the issue. If i left the box unchecked I got the error message when trying to launch a MP game, otherwise I can play without errors.
I think it may come from the launcher (i may try knossos if the newest version works on my system because I had some issues with older ones) because I also have a problem if I don't use the flag "use portable mode" my joystick isn't recognised in game.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
if I don't use the flag "use portable mode" my joystick isn't recognised in game.
...Are you sure you're using wxLauncher 0.12-rc.2? Also, I should warn you that portable mode doesn't actually work 100% correctly, because of how the command-line-parsing code is written.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Yes i'm really sure but anyway I have encountered no errors while using portable mode (and i'm the kind of guy who like to have his saves in the game folder rather than c:/users/myname/roaming... I never install anything in program files as i have 4 hdd on my computer)

Offline n3v

Did you try the "Use a different registry path" flag (-fix_registry) in your launcher? It worked on my Windows 10 system.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Did you try the "Use a different registry path" flag (-fix_registry) in your launcher? It worked on my Windows 10 system.
Unless it's running in compatibility mode (which it shouldn't be, since a new enough version of wxLauncher is being used), FSO doesn't use the registry at all anymore.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so