Author Topic: SW:ESB-Revisited Released Today  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
SW:ESB-Revisited Released Today
While this is not FOTC-related, it is SW-Related, so I figured this would be the best thread to post this.

Some of you may already have heard or Adywan and his "Revisited" editions of Star Wars: A New Hope.  Today, Adywan has finally released his Revisited edition of The Empire Strikes Back.  For the moment its an 8GB (7.58GB to be precise) MKV-720p file, while DVD-formatted ISO files will follow.  You can read all about it on his website:

Star Wars Revisited.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: SW:ESB-Revisited Released Today
Looks a lot better than ANH:R. I think there's still a fair bit of stuff I don't agree with, but there's less of it than in ANH:R and it's done better.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What I've noticed:

-More Flare for the Probe Droid engines
-All images through "binoculars" replaced
-Return to Wampa never seen clearly during the cave scene (though I think Adywan put in his own visual there)
-Added visuals for speeders' instrument displays
-Some action for the AT-STs during the Hoth battle (including one getting crushed by the falling AT-AT that Luke destroyed)
-Turret fire from the Star Destroyer that gets Ion-cannoned before it gets hit
-1st transport group jumps to hyperspace
-Less static look to the asteroid field
-Show dust eruptions whenever blaster fire or proton bombs strike asteroids.
-Some digital facial enhancements for Yoda, mostly in the mouth (Very well done in my opinion, so much that I almost missed it)
-Spider from "Star Wars Rebels" on Degoba (not my most favorite addition)
-Editing of Special Edition's Vader-Emperor conversation to that it matches the original while retaining the new Ian McDiarmid visual and voice.*
-Less tailgating by Slave 1 during the Falcon pursuit.
-Return of original "Bring my Shuttle" line from Vader during Cloud City withdrawal rather than the changes for the Special Edition, as well as removal of Vader's arrival on the Star Destroyer.
-I know from Adywan's own progress posts that some considerable work when into the Falcon Hanger scene on Hoth, as well as the Wampa scenes, for which he underwent considerable frustration.

That's all I can remember right now.

*The Palpatine change for the original Special Edition is one of the things I approve of in concept, but laud in its execution.  The image of Ian McDiarmid might as well have been the false face of the Balok puppet from Star Trek TOS for how animated it was.  It was just McDiarmid's voice, his face, and moving lips.  Although Adyway could never have gotten ahold of Ian McDiarmid to redo that scene, it is one of the things I wish he could have.

Offline zookeeper

-Editing of Special Edition's Vader-Emperor conversation to that it matches the original while retaining the new Ian McDiarmid visual and voice.*

It's a lot more impressive than that; the visuals are, from what I can tell, completely new (of course probably mostly created from RotJ footage) to actually match RotJ better than the Special Edition version.

EDIT: Correction: the visuals weren't actually changed in the Special Edition. The Ian McDiarmid version appeared only in the later DVD releases.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:18:52 am by zookeeper »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I stand corrected.

And don't forget that Boba Fett's original voice (Jason Wingreen) has been restored as well. :)

Regarding the Dagobah spider: That one was already part of Ralph McQuarrie's illustrations and IIRC, Adywan had intended to include it long before SW: Rebels started production:
http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/08/McQuarrie35.jpg
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Cool!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I love McQuarrie concept art...anybody else?  If there's a big collection of it somewhere that can be grabbed all at once that'd be pretty neat, just saying.

Although, the first McQuarrie art I ever saw was his stuff for Star Trek.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

I own the Art of A New Hope book, nice to see they have them all in one volume finally.  Might pick one up myself.

https://www.amazon.ca/Star-Wars-Art-Ralph-McQuarrie/dp/1419717936

Offline Dain

Looks a lot better than ANH:R. I think there's still a fair bit of stuff I don't agree with, but there's less of it than in ANH:R and it's done better.

I like the purist version of ANH:R a lot, but it's super hard to find compared to the version with the big additions (which I also don't agree with). I thought I'd lost it but recently discovered the ISO on a hard drive.. it's my preferred version of ANH.

ESB was the film that I felt needed the least fixing in a way. There were less jarring SE additions. This seems like an interesting take though. The more action packed battle of Hoth is pretty neat.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:21:28 am by Dain »

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
It is ****ing brilliant in my opinion and Hoth, already a masterpiece, has been perfected. Just look at that trench and those AT-ST walkers! And the little things, like the actually useful field glasses of the soldier.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
A lot of the additions (Dagobah spider, AT-STs) break the shot composition really terribly, and that's a shame, because TESB is masterfully composed. The AT-ST under the second destroyed AT-AT pulls the eye down off the center of the action, and the Dagobah spider holds the eye long enough you'll probably not even notice the X-Wing.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
While I typically agree with your tastes (and do love your works) and there are these instances in the movie, in this case I must strongly object in the first case. The additions to Hoth work brilliantly, including the crushed AT-ST. It would totally break if the additions could be distinguished from what was originally in the movie but luckily, they do not.

The spider you mentioned might indeed have this effect and another instance would be the escaping rebel transport (though I love the actually dangerous Star Destroyer and the Ion Cannon). It might very well be the case that my previous heralding of the Edit is overexaggerated. Seeing "cool new things" in a movie that I probably watched over 50 times over the course of my life might have made me blind to those changes that are less than ideal.  :rolleyes:

Still better than George Lucas' stuff though  ;)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Does this version fix the Power Generators in Hoth being a literal matte painting? It was always one of the things that bothered me because it makes the explosion look fake.

Offline zookeeper

Does this version fix the Power Generators in Hoth being a literal matte painting? It was always one of the things that bothered me because it makes the explosion look fake.

Of course. The explosion has been one of the worst effects in the movie (any version), after all.